Great North Run

Thanks, i'm really chuffed with it to be honest.

I only started running in April 2018 aged 37, I couldn't even finish a 5k in 25 mins when I 1st started. Running has given a completely new lease of life. 2 stone lighter and met some great people along the way.
One of our lads did it 1hr49 and we thought that was quick. He was in Orange zone and we were in bloody pink zone, we got stuck behind every fooker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks, i'm really chuffed with it to be honest.

I only started running in April 2018 aged 37, I couldn't even finish a 5k in 25 mins when I 1st started. Running has given a completely new lease of life. 2 stone lighter and met some great people along the way.
I'm 36 and need to sort myself out, get the feeling if I'm like this when I got 40 that's it till I'm in the ground.

I'm 36 and need to sort myself out, get the feeling if I'm like this when I got 40 that's it till I'm in the ground.

Try and get out there and do it, you won't regret it once you get over the initial barrier.

The kick start for me was being told my Cholestrol was too high and I needed to bring it down. Started with the Couch to 5K app and went from there.

Now I work off this book which has brought me on loads.

You only need to do 3 runs per week, 1 set of sprints, one tempo run and one long run.

Try and get out there and do it, you won't regret it once you get over the initial barrier.

The kick start for me was being told my Cholestrol was too high and I needed to bring it down. Started with the Couch to 5K app and went from there.

Now I work off this book which has brought me on loads.

You only need to do 3 runs per week, 1 set of sprints, one tempo run and one long run.
Aye I started couch to 10k a couple years back when my lass started running and then life got in the way, I stopped trying to find the time, and dropped it.

It’s just not my thing anymore mate. I have run it 6xs and I just find the day a bit of a chore.

Staring with getting on a packed Metro; waiting around for hours before running; the numbers of walkers on the course; the route is a bit shit; and then the walk back to Whitburn afterwards.

The atmosphere is good though, and of course it raises money for charity, but personally I’ve had my fill.
It's ridiculously overpriced for what it is

There’s that as well ^

Last edited:
It's ridiculously overpriced for what it is

The goody bag at the end had about £30 worth of stuff in, with the tshirt and medal. The thing must cost a fortune to put on, the amount of organisation. All the signs and fencing, free water, road sweepers, tracking chips for the app etc.. its canny enough for what you get. I can see why serious, long experienced runners couldn't be chewed with it all like

Suffering today. Legs are okay but the sun burn isnt. Never prepared myself for it as thought it was going to be overcast not like Florida

It’s just not my thing anymore mate. I have run it 6xs and I just find the day a bit of a chore.

Staring with getting on a packed Metro; waiting around for hours before running; the numbers of walkers on the course; the route is a bit shit; and then the walk back to Whitburn afterwards.

The atmosphere is good though, and of course it raises money for charity, but personally I’ve had my fill.

There’s that as well ^

That's fair enough. I know a few folk who have done it and didn't like the fact there were so many people who just seem to consider it a fun run or just spend the entire time walking.

There’s that as well ^

Thats it for me too. Done the sland half marathon this year, parked for nowt outside quayside exchange n was back in hartlepool half hour after the finish.

Gnr would have been 5 hours extra feck on in total.

Thats it for me too. Done the sland half marathon this year, parked for nowt outside quayside exchange n was back in hartlepool half hour after the finish.

Gnr would have been 5 hours extra feck on in total.
Is the Sunderland one just the one route or do you go round twice?

The 10k is a lovely route and I always really enjoy it

with the improvements youve made in past 12 months I would say you can go under that mate
I'm trying to train for Triathlon x half - Google it, and Frankfurt marathon at the same time. Not managed to focus on a half marathon but confident of a pb.

I done it last year and said I wouldn’t do it again , I started in the white pen and has been already mentioned lots were fecked by the Tyne bridge, I managed 6 miles before I stopped for a wee breather but know I shouldn’t have , my ipod wasn’t charged properly at the start - ‘‘twas dead !!!

I was doing fine , loved the atmosphere, the bands were excellent , the people were superb all the route .
My reason for not doing it was the amount of bottles on the roads, I slipped a couple of times on these and felt a strain , also just getting a bit of pace on and the runner in front would stop and I’d lose the rhythm and end up stopping again.

Can I ask how hot was it yesterday ? I was in Inverness all day and missed all the coverage .
I am thinking about trying to do it next year again tho but as it’s on sept 13th , I won’t get to take in a safc match coz it’s an international weekend again but I’ll still get to see the family. In the meantime , Caithness half is on Sunday , only 70 runners in it , tractors would be the main problem and smell of manure 😄

It’s one route but it’s canny odd. I’m hoping they change it to include the new bridge at some point.
Aye that would be canny
I done it last year and said I wouldn’t do it again , I started in the white pen and has been already mentioned lots were fecked by the Tyne bridge, I managed 6 miles before I stopped for a wee breather but know I shouldn’t have , my ipod wasn’t charged properly at the start - ‘‘twas dead !!!

I was doing fine , loved the atmosphere, the bands were excellent , the people were superb all the route .
My reason for not doing it was the amount of bottles on the roads, I slipped a couple of times on these and felt a strain , also just getting a bit of pace on and the runner in front would stop and I’d lose the rhythm and end up stopping again.

Can I ask how hot was it yesterday ? I was in Inverness all day and missed all the coverage .
I am thinking about trying to do it next year again tho but as it’s on sept 13th , I won’t get to take in a safc match coz it’s an international weekend again but I’ll still get to see the family. In the meantime , Caithness half is on Sunday , only 70 runners in it , tractors would be the main problem and smell of manure 😄
Felt like Florida 😂

Ran in hotter the other day but it felt very warm yesterday and of course got carried away and was going to fast and paid for it with 4 miles to go and saw a lad sitting down at the bottom of the Marsden inn bank and thought that looks nice.

11 to 12 miles was my slowest by a long way.

Last edited:

Back