Great North Run

Good luck to those 50000 doing it, watching it from outside the green then having a few pints on the afternoon is far far more enjoyable than the half dozen times I ran in it...

Kudos to the wee Scots guy who ran into the green one year for a swift half...

Love running but hate the North Run with a passion. I stopped running it a couple of years ago and really don’t miss it.

That said, good luck to everyone doing it today and I hope people raise a lot of money

I never understand why people don’t just turn up at the start at the latest possible start time and enjoy a clear run, rather than spending the first couple of miles shuffling along in the pack.

I never understand why people don’t just turn up at the start at the latest possible start time and enjoy a clear run, rather than spending the first couple of miles shuffling along in the pack.
It won't be a clear run, you'll constantly be running around walkers and fancy dress people. The only way to get a clear run is start at the front and be quick enough to keep up.

It won't be a clear run, you'll constantly be running around walkers and fancy dress people. The only way to get a clear run is start at the front and be quick enough to keep up.
But surely running through all that would be preferable, not to mention more fun, to the shuffling bit? You must have to walk a mile in that queue before you even reach the start.

I started in the last section when I did it and spent most of the first few miles zig zagging around people. Some were walking before the Tyne Bridge. This isn't too bad if they tuck into the side, but annoying when there's four or five of them all holding hands and strolling along as if they're on a nice country walk out.

I started in the last section when I did it and spent most of the first few miles zig zagging around people. Some were walking before the Tyne Bridge. This isn't too bad if they tuck into the side, but annoying when there's four or five of them all holding hands and strolling along as if they're on a nice country walk out.
Just smash through them like you’re breaking the tape.

Back