Great North run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just over 2 weeks to go until I run it. Who else is taking part and are you running for a charity or did you get lucky in the ballot.

I'm running for Crohn's and colitis simply because I suffer with Crohn's so I want to do my bit. If anyone knows me they know I'm not built for running but I've put a hell of a lot of effort into training and got my time down to pretty much bang on 2 hours. If you see me I'll be wearing a Crohn's vest so feel free to cheer and wave

Last edited:

Just over 2 weeks to go until I run it. Who else is taking part and are you running for a charity or did you get lucky in the ballot.

I'm running for Crohn's and colitis simply because I suffer with Crohn's so I want to do my bit. If anyone knows me they know I'm not built for running but I've put a hell of a lot of effort into training and got my time down to pretty much bang on 2 hours. If you see me I'll be wearing a Crohn's vest so feel free to cheer and wave

Best of luck mate. It really is a shit disease and I hope you raise loads for them xx

Sould be running it too but I'm flaring so I can't :(

Good luck mate. Our lass (no) did it a couple of years ago. I think it took us longer to get back to Newcastle train station from the finish than it did for her to run the course and she's nee Paula Radcliffe.

Good luck mate. Our lass (no) did it a couple of years ago. I think it took us longer to get back to Newcastle train station from the finish than it did for her to run the course and she's nee Paula Radcliffe.

Do you mean she doesn't piss in the street?

The actual run is good and the craic at the start etc is good but the logistics are a nightmare. Getting to the start at Newcastle is a fuck on and then trying to get out of Shields at the finish is an even bigger ball ache

Good luck mate hope you raise loads and enjoy the run

I'm running for the Stephen Thompson Foundation in memory of my mate (and you've just reminded me to bump my thread about it;)). Training hasn't been great but managed 12 miles this morning without any serious issues.
Not done it before so no idea what the course is like but the halfway point on my run today took in the finishing stretch of the GNR and it seemed to be slightly downhill which will be a relief.

Crohn's is a pig. Mine ended in bowel cancer last year. Get yourself some sponsor link, I'm sure a few would help out.

I'm doing it for the Stroke Association. I'm also hoping for sub 2 hours. Done about 340 miles training since March.

Shameless JustGiving link if anyone is familiar with the work the Stroke Association do ;)

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/andymiller94

I'm doing it, will be my 5th time and my last chance to break 2 hours before I'm 40.

Running for MNDA again, never give up!

The things people will do for drugs nowadays...

All the best

Last edited:
Reactions: mux
I've said it in another thread but I'm running for Action on Hearing Loss. I permanently lost half my hearing a couple years ago and it's a bit of a bugger to say the least. Running helped me get my confidence back and release a lot of frustration.

Shameless link to my fundraising page and a bit more info about my background (and my ugly mug!) here .

Bit nervous about the logistics of getting there etc. like. What's the best plan if you're coming in/out from East Durham?

Best of luck mate. It really is a shit disease and I hope you raise loads for them xx

Sould be running it too but I'm flaring so I can't :(

If you are who I've guessed you are... thank you very much for the support. You're really kind x

(if not apologies ;))

I've said it in another thread but I'm running for Action on Hearing Loss. I permanently lost half my hearing a couple years ago and it's a bit of a bugger to say the least. Running helped me get my confidence back and release a lot of frustration.

Shameless link to my fundraising page and a bit more info about my background (and my ugly mug!) here .

Bit nervous about the logistics of getting there etc. like. What's the best plan if you're coming in/out from East Durham?
Drive to South Hylton and get the Metro? I honestly don't know, I'm not looking forward to the chew on of the day itself. I just need to hop on a Metro to get there but then going to meet a friend who is coming up from Yarm. She doesn't know whether she is driving or getting the train yet. Afterwards I'll probably get Metro to Newcastle with her and then change trains and come back to Sunderland. More chance of getting a seat and avoid the bedlam at Pelaw.
I had considered walking towards Souter Lighthouse and getting picked up but I'll be knackered and it's a bit rude if she is going back to Newcastle.

Crohn's is a pig. Mine ended in bowel cancer last year. Get yourself some sponsor link, I'm sure a few would help out.

Crohn's and Colitis have been asking people running in the race to contact them. Here's the link.

https://www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk/get-involved/fundraising/great-north-run

Car to Sunderland, park in car park opposite the Interchange. Metro to Newcastle central station then walk to the bridge area. Coming home metro to the Interchange and pick up your car.

Last edited:
Hoping for 1hr 50 but that will depend on the weather. I hate running in the heat and it was a killer last year.

I dont think i will run it next year as although its a great experience and the atmosphere is amazing there are better half marathons in the north east.

I said that last year as well though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back