Great North Run 2019 - first timer

tunstallhill

Striker
Can anyone offer some advice, as there is an overwhelming amount of information on google searches that i don't even know where to start, what to take seriously, what to concentrate on, what takes priority etc..

running first GNR this year, and really want to get a good time - 1 hour 50 mins - i'd be absolutely over the moon with. been training for 2 months, doing 4 miles then onto 6 miles, and going to start doing 8 miles in July. however i'm told i need to supplement these runs with either HIIT sessions, or shorter faster runs - which i've done a few times - or maybe with some 'other' strength training.

i need a bit of a plan for the next 2 months to maximise what i'm getting out of what i put in, so to speak. drinking about 4L of water a day, eating pretty well (drinking alcohol once a week on a saturday). - can anyone offer me some direction?

cheers

Whatever time you think your capable of based on training runs, add ten minutes, the crowds/traffic are insane. Loads of bottles of water with lids still on all along the course etc

Totally agree with Ross, people put down unrealistic times and don’t train accordingly so to get a half decent time you’ll have to fight through a crowd you won’t be anticipating.

I don’t think I’ll be doing it again purely based on transport links being so poor but best of luck mate.

Whatever time you think your capable of based on training runs, add ten minutes, the crowds/traffic are insane. Loads of bottles of water with lids still on all along the course etc

suppose there is nowt you can do about that really, out of my control. i'm just using the run as something to aim for to keep my exercising regularly and having a good time as a target to make me work at it harder.

a pal of mine who did it in 1.30 said that the crowds and stuff at that speed aren't as bad. not that i will be at that pace

suppose there is nowt you can do about that really, out of my control. i'm just using the run as something to aim for to keep my exercising regularly and having a good time as a target to make me work at it harder.

a pal of mine who did it in 1.30 said that the crowds and stuff at that speed aren't as bad. not that i will be at that pace
Yer I imagine the faster your time the better it is. I took a work mates number who put down a really slow time so was right at the back. People walking before the Tyne bridge etc

Yer I imagine the faster your time the better it is. I took a work mates number who put down a really slow time so was right at the back. People walking before the Tyne bridge etc

i've took a mates number who i think is in the 1.30-1.45 bracket (if thats a thing) so i'll right at the back of that group but still hoping to i can come in somewhere near 1.45/1.50 - i just havent got a clue where to go with my training now to take it up a notch. doing 7 mile in under and hour, which i'm happy with, but i need to be able to do that twice without stopping. i've got 2 months to go thats why i think now is the right time to get right into it

You get that even if you start in the Orange zone. Back in the white zone it's ridiculous, according to my Garmin I did an extra ¼mile the year I started back there just by weaving to get round walkers.

i've took a mates number who i think is in the 1.30-1.45 bracket (if thats a thing) so i'll right at the back of that group but still hoping to i can come in somewhere near 1.45/1.50 - i just havent got a clue where to go with my training now to take it up a notch. doing 7 mile in under and hour, which i'm happy with, but i need to be able to do that twice without stopping. i've got 2 months to go thats why i think now is the right time to get right into it

My best advice would be slow down and run further. I’m in the middle of doing a spell of this now and it’s improving my endurance a lot.

My best advice would be slow down and run further. I’m in the middle of doing a spell of this now and it’s improving my endurance a lot.
I achieved my best half marathon time of 1h 45m by running fewer miles in training!

One long slow run a week, 2 other tempo/aerobic/sprint sessions.

I would sometimes cycle 5 miles, do some sprints, cycle home.

Aerobic capacity helps massively towards running faster. Plus iirc Seb Coe’s dad was a pioneer in the train-fast, run- fast school of thought.

Most people can plod or walk for 13 miles but it’s difficult to do it quickly.

I worked to a plan that I found on the web for sub 1h 50.

I achieved my best half marathon time of 1h 45m by running fewer miles in training!

One long slow run a week, 2 other tempo/aerobic/sprint sessions.

I would sometimes cycle 5 miles, do some sprints, cycle home.

Aerobic capacity helps massively towards running faster. Plus iirc Seb Coe’s dad was a pioneer in the train-fast, run- fast school of thought.

Most people can plod or walk for 13 miles but it’s difficult to do it quickly.

I worked to a plan that I found on the web for sub 1h 50.

Currently I’m doing something like this weekly:

2 running club sessions, 1 usually 10k, starting slower and building up tempo. Second one is usually a track session but I did a trail run this week to mix it up.

My weekend long run used to 7 miles at my race tempo, I’ve changed that to 10-12 miles and taken 90 seconds a mile off. Plan over the next few weeks is to run the 10-12 which is starting to feel easier and whittle down the 90 seconds difference back to race tempo. It won’t work for everyone but it’s worked for me in the past.

Sounds like you are doing more than enough prep imo. It's a ballache of a run mind, the atmosphere is great and really helps but as has been said, the other "runners" who do anything but are a real hindrance. Suppose it's classed as more of an extreme fun run nowadays. You'll enjoy it still but if you plan on doing another one I would definitely recommend Redcar.

You've also probably been told this a million times but when you get down the seafront don't think you've cracked it. That last straight seems to go on forever.

Last edited:
Currently I’m doing something like this weekly:

2 running club sessions, 1 usually 10k, starting slower and building up tempo. Second one is usually a track session but I did a trail run this week to mix it up.

My weekend long run used to 7 miles at my race tempo, I’ve changed that to 10-12 miles and taken 90 seconds a mile off. Plan over the next few weeks is to run the 10-12 which is starting to feel easier and whittle down the 90 seconds difference back to race tempo. It won’t work for everyone but it’s worked for me in the past.

That's kind of what I'm doing for the next month or so. Gonna do one long run per week 8-10 miles and 2 sessions of sprinting/shorter runs.

What's your 10k time or 8 mile time if you have done that yet?

done 7 mile on saturday - 59 minutes

gonna do 2 miles tonight at a sprint, aiming for under 15 minutes as i did a fast mile the other day in 7 minutes.

been reading loads of 'training schedules' online and most of them say that you need to be running 4 or 5 times a week. i haven't got the time for that, i can do 3 runs per week maximum (tuesday, thursday, saturday) so i'm now worried i'm doing enough

You are deffo doing enough even at your stage 2 would be good going.

I only used to do 2 a week one long at a steady pace then a 5k as fast as i could manage.

I got my fastest GNR time from starting mid way you just need to constantly look for gaps and jump on the paths when possible.

You are deffo doing enough even at your stage 2 would be good going.

I only used to do 2 a week one long at a steady pace then a 5k as fast as i could manage.

I got my fastest GNR time from starting mid way you just need to constantly look for gaps and jump on the paths when possible.

good to know. need to sort out my stretches and warm up/downs too, got stiffness and little aches all over my legs constantly. never feel fully 'fit'

My experience is try to stick with your race plan in terms of pace, if you’re starting nearer the front like you say there’s a tendency to try and keep up with people round you. It’s a fairly quick start once you’re over the line and it’s easy to get dragged along and overpace yourself, leaving you nothing for later.

The last few I’ve done haven’t been good running conditions, I can’t run in the sun it’s like my kryptonite, but if you can get used to that in training it may help.

Try to empty your bowels in advance of getting to exhibition park as the queues for the loos are unreal.

You will need to be training at 8 minute miles to get the time you want in the GNR, although starting where you are will definitely help, there are still people walking or going very slow even that far up who get in the way.

I’ve always struggled with the distance I hadnt trained at, so if I’d trained up to 10, the last 3 was where it went wrong for me, the climb at the nook is tough. I’d go up to 12 in training. Add a mile a week or even two miles slow pace and you’ll be there in no time.

Run the route as part of your training, familiarisation is great for the mind, when you’ve seen and done it before it’s less daunting.

My experience is try to stick with your race plan in terms of pace, if you’re starting nearer the front like you say there’s a tendency to try and keep up with people round you. It’s a fairly quick start once you’re over the line and it’s easy to get dragged along and overpace yourself, leaving you nothing for later.

The last few I’ve done haven’t been good running conditions, I can’t run in the sun it’s like my kryptonite, but if you can get used to that in training it may help.

Try to empty your bowels in advance of getting to exhibition park as the queues for the loos are unreal.

You will need to be training at 8 minute miles to get the time you want in the GNR, although starting where you are will definitely help, there are still people walking or going very slow even that far up who get in the way.

I’ve always struggled with the distance I hadnt trained at, so if I’d trained up to 10, the last 3 was where it went wrong for me, the climb at the nook is tough. I’d go up to 12 in training. Add a mile a week or even two miles slow pace and you’ll be there in no time.

Run the route as part of your training, familiarisation is great for the mind, when you’ve seen and done it before it’s less daunting.

cheers for that. i'm knocking it up to 8 miles for a few weeks, its just the in between bits of training i'm not sure about. went for a 'sprint' last night. did half a mile warm up, then sprinted a mile (6m 45s) but then pulled a muscle in my thigh so didn't do any more, not sure whether thats enough, as i was only out of the car for about 15 minutes

Make sure you're comfortable doing the distance.

Don't buy into the lie that the crowd and the atmosphere will carry you on the day. The run itself isn't great and the last 3 miles are awful.
Enjoy. :D

done 7 mile on saturday - 59 minutes

gonna do 2 miles tonight at a sprint, aiming for under 15 minutes as i did a fast mile the other day in 7 minutes.

been reading loads of 'training schedules' online and most of them say that you need to be running 4 or 5 times a week. i haven't got the time for that, i can do 3 runs per week maximum (tuesday, thursday, saturday) so i'm now worried i'm doing enough

My times have improved a lot since I dropped to 3 runs a week. As a middle aged bloke I've smashed pbs I set in my early 30s. I started with this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Runners-Wo...24&hvtargid=pla-436619359148&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Back