Great Expectations being filmed again. What novels would you like to see on tv?

Yeah. Brat Farrar a couple of years before that.
There are many untapped authors from not just Victorian literature but also from the 40s/50s who are long forgotten. I speak as someone who started work in a library many years back and the likes of Josephine Tey, Geoffrey Household, Hammond Innes, Eric Ambler, Nevil Shute, Georgette Heyer, Howard Spring, Barbara Pym and many more used to grace the shelves. Only seen in second hand bookshops these days. I understand authors go out of fashion but surely there's something other than the same Dickens novels to dramatize.

Along more contemporary lines, I'm amazed that there's never been an attempt to make a TV series out of Christopher Brookmyre's books. Parlabane would make a cracking ITV series (post-watershed, I guess). For more family oriented stuff, Enid Blyton's ****** of Adventure series should be eminently adaptable (assuming her estate would go for it).

Would like to see another crack at the Dresden files. I believe something is in the works.
Just started reading those - I never saw any of the original series but agree that they'd make great TV.

The Elvis Cole and Joe Pike novels by Robert Crais would be quality but I believe the author is against it as he doesn't think anyone could do justice to the characters.

I would also love to see a TV series or film made from the Stephen Hunter book Pale Horse Coming.

The Dark Eden Trilogy by Chris Beckett.

They redid Day Of The Triffids a couple of years back, with Dougray Scott. It was crap.

There was a 2016 version on bbc I think. Not prime time and I caught one episode which wasn't brilliant.
The Moonstone (TV Mini-Series 2016) - IMDb
I'd like to see a Wilkie Collins that isn't The Moonstone or The Woman in White.

Was that the one where they ran out of money and it dropped to daytime TV instead of primetime?

What else would you recommend other than The Moonstone or Woman in White? Only other I've read is The Law and the Lady, I think.

The Catcher in the Rye
The Crank series by Ellen Hopkins
A Confederacy of Dunces
One Hundred Year of Solitude

James Ellroy - American Tabloid

Neal Stephenson - Baroque Cycle and Snow Crash

William Gibson - Sprawl Trilogy, Bridge Trilogy (might need some adapting), Blue Ant Trilogy

Lucifer Box series

Joe Abercrombie First Law series

Christopher Brookmyre - One Fine Day In The Middle of the Night, A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away, All Fun And Games Until Someone Loses An Eye, Pandaemonium, Bedlam

Michael Chabon - Adventures of Kavalier and Clay

Ursula Le Guin - Earthsea

Kim Newman - Anno Dracula
One Hundred Year of Solitude

Oh yes please

Was that the one where they ran out of money and it dropped to daytime TV instead of primetime?

What else would you recommend other than The Moonstone or Woman in White? Only other I've read is The Law and the Lady, I think.
I think it might have been daytime. I remember reading No Name many years ago which had a strong female character. As he was fond of 'social issues' I'm surprised none of his other books ever get adapted. As I worked in libraries way back I 'rescued' a lot a classics before they went in the book sale or were trashed. Trouble is the old print style is so small, they are mostly unreadable.

Mine was Good Omens, so I was utterly delighted when they did it, and did it really well. Great shout on Parlabane from @Arkle.

One series I read until the books fell apart when I was younger was the Dragonlance saga. Not that well known, bit niche and geeky but I was hopeful once GoT got a following. They did an animated kids film of the first book years back with Kiefer Sutherland (!) and it was f***ing awful.

There was a great TV dramatisation of Fame Is The Spur in the late 70s. A remake would be nice as long as they didn't try to revise the politics.

Mine was Good Omens, so I was utterly delighted when they did it, and did it really well. Great shout on Parlabane from @Arkle.

One series I read until the books fell apart when I was younger was the Dragonlance saga. Not that well known, bit niche and geeky but I was hopeful once GoT got a following. They did an animated kids film of the first book years back with Kiefer Sutherland (!) and it was f***ing awful.

I read the Dragonlance books as a teen and loved them. The "Twins" trilogy, the "Dragons of..." trilogy (or so I thought) and a load of the related novels based on single characters from those two sagas.

A year ago or so I decided I was going to buy them and read them again as it'd been about 25 years or so since I'd read them, and realised for the first time that the "Dragons of..." saga was actually a FOUR-book series, so there was an entire book from it that I hadn't read!

So, I bought all four of those, and the three "Twins" novels and set about reading them again.

Made it through Autumn Twilight and about a quarter of Winter Night but then they've just been sitting there untouched for about a year.

On rereading them, they've felt much more like a transcription of a game of D&D than I remember. I know that's where they came from but in my memory of them they were a lot more "novelly" and less "gamey" in the way they felt.

Maybe they get better and I just bailed on them too early this time around. :)

I read the Dragonlance books as a teen and loved them. The "Twins" trilogy, the "Dragons of..." trilogy (or so I thought) and a load of the related novels based on single characters from those two sagas.

A year ago or so I decided I was going to buy them and read them again as it'd been about 25 years or so since I'd read them, and realised for the first time that the "Dragons of..." saga was actually a FOUR-book series, so there was an entire book from it that I hadn't read!

So, I bought all four of those, and the three "Twins" novels and set about reading them again.

Made it through Autumn Twilight and about a quarter of Winter Night but then they've just been sitting there untouched for about a year.

On rereading them, they've felt much more like a transcription of a game of D&D than I remember. I know that's where they came from but in my memory of them they were a lot more "novelly" and less "gamey" in the way they felt.

Maybe they get better and I just bailed on them too early this time around. :)
The fourth book was a much later one iirc and not as good. I don’t class it as an original. :)

I have the annotated version of “Dragons of” and I’ve read it in the past five years or so. The first one certainly is a bit like a campaign as that’s how it came about but I still love them and they don’t feel like Young Adult books to me.

Winter night was my least favourite because of the political stuff with the Knights but since I’ve watched GOT it’s a bit like a YA version of the Nights Watch, and Laurana turns into a bit of a Danerys (without all the burning people shit) by the end of it.

Get them back out again and give them another go :)

The fourth book was a much later one iirc and not as good. I don’t class it as an original. :)

I have the annotated version of “Dragons of” and I’ve read it in the past five years or so. The first one certainly is a bit like a campaign as that’s how it came about but I still love them and they don’t feel like Young Adult books to me.

Winter night was my least favourite because of the political stuff with the Knights but since I’ve watched GOT it’s a bit like a YA version of the Nights Watch, and Laurana turns into a bit of a Danerys (without all the burning people shit) by the end of it.

Get them back out again and give them another go :)

You've convinced me. I'll get myself motivated to continue from where I left off. :)

James Herbert's The Rats trilogy.
Ben Elton's This Other Eden
Ben Elton's Blind Faith
Aldous Huxley's Brave New World
Clive Barker's Weaveworld
Clive Barker's Imajica
William Golding's Lord Of The Flies

...and as much as I think the Kenneth Brannagh version is probably definitive, I'd quite like to see a new version of Henry V.
Herbert's '48 would be canny. I'd like to see A Place of Greater Safety by Mantel too.
Along more contemporary lines, I'm amazed that there's never been an attempt to make a TV series out of Christopher Brookmyre's books. Parlabane would make a cracking ITV series (post-watershed, I guess). For more family oriented stuff, Enid Blyton's ****** of Adventure series should be eminently adaptable (assuming her estate would go for it).
Brookmyer's Victorian crime novel under a pseudonym with his wife would be good. Forget it's name. That Miss Scarlet on Alibi recently was a similar idea and good fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back