Great albums you've only recently discovered

Yeah I'm not sure about their sound in Mesmerise, it sounds too manicured or a bit nerdy, maybe they're being overproduced at this point or I'm just projecting, either way I preferred their manic rawness of the earlier albums.

As for his political activism, I really hate the stick he's getting, Westerners really have no business in judging others who actually have to live the consequences of their decisions, especially seeing as Western countries are the biggest culprits in causing global conflict and instability, I like how our war crimes seem to be conveniently forgotten when it suits our narrative
The way I see it, it's better to do the right thing eventually and be labelled a hypocrite than be consistent in doing the wrong thing and be labelled evil.

I don't understand why he's being so quiet on Ukraine. Putin is no friend of the Armenians: he quietly turned a blind eye to the invasion of Artsakh because Armenia had deposed his puppet Sargsyan in the Velvet Revolution in 2018, a revolution Serj backed.

Also, NB: while he was born in Beirut, Serj was raised in L.A. and is almost as western as you or I.

Last edited:
The Coral, Sea of mirrors.
Discovered a track from the album on a free cd with a magazine best of 2023, I never really rated them but this latest album is fantastic.

Roxy music “Avalon” took a punt on this after being recommended a fair few times. I can remember when it was originally released and gave it a miss. Such a great album and highly recommended.

Not recently discovered, cos I've been aware of it for as long as it's been available, but I'm currently 7 tracks in to my first ever listen-though of Horses by Patti Smith. It's a bit too angsty and trying-a-bit-too-hard-to-be-deep-and-meaningful for my liking, so doubt it'll get a second listen-through.
I always thought she was shite.
The Parable of Arable Land - Red Krayola
Corky's Debt to his Father - Mayo Thompson

Last edited:
A few years ago I got my turntable out of the loft and started listening to a load of my old vinyl. I was a bit amazed when I put on Joni Mitchell's Hejira - I remember thinking it was a bit boring/disappointing when I bought it in 1976 but now it's one of my absolute favourites.

'Mindgames' Sjunne Ferger.
A instant balearic classic. Reminds me in some ways of 'E2-E4' by Manuel Göttsching.

'Heavy Weather' Weather Report
Jazz funk you can actually listen to.
Waiting for @Sneech to wade in with disgust and inform me I've gone a bit 'yacht rock'-ish
Weather Report?
In: Enjoying life on ignore.

Back