Great albums you've only recently discovered

Mesmerise and Steal this Album by System of a Down. Lost interest in them after Toxicity as I was tired of the whole nu metal fad, only just rediscovered them after being advised to check out They Protect the Land/Genocidal Humanoidz EP. Better than the shite the OP listens to anyway.

Mark Gormley Unchartered Zone

Mesmerise and Steal this Album by System of a Down. Lost interest in them after Toxicity as I was tired of the whole nu metal fad, only just rediscovered them after being advised to check out They Protect the Land/Genocidal Humanoidz EP. Better than the shite the OP listens to anyway.
their old stuff was good, after hypnotise isn't worth listening to imo

Last edited:
I hate that song. An old friend of mine used to play it on repeat when he had little other music than that he later became a heroin addict.
It sounds like a mash up of a Spaceman Came Travelling by Chris de Burgh and Robin the Hooded Man by Clanadd.

Steal this Album was class.

I stole it from Music Zone :cool:

Mark Gormley Unchartered Zone

their old stuff was good, after hypnotise isn't worth listening to imo

Not sure if whoosh but Hypnotise was their last album. It's a bit shite compared to the others IMHO.

After that Daron went off and formed Scars on Broadway with John D and Serj had his own solo career. I don't think much of Serj's stuff, it's quite softcock, but Dictator by Scars is great.

SOAD got back together in 2020 to record They Defend the Land and Genocidal Humanoidz to protest the Azerbaijani invasion of Artsakh. Brilliant tunes but more in the style of Scars on Broadway, later transpired Daron wrote them as Scars songs.

Not sure if whoosh but Hypnotise was their last album. It's a bit shite compared to the others IMHO.

After that Daron went off and formed Scars on Broadway with John D and Serj had his own solo career. I don't think much of Serj's stuff, it's quite softcock, but Dictator by Scars is great.

SOAD got back together in 2020 to record They Defend the Land and Genocidal Humanoidz to protest the Azerbaijani invasion of Artsakh. Brilliant tunes but more in the style of Scars on Broadway, later transpired Daron wrote them as Scars songs.
I meant after steal this album rather, only song i like after that is Lonely Day. Yeah Serj is a political activist now but I think most artists only have so much in them, I suppose theres only so many ways you can flip that Armenian Folk and Metal but they were fresh

I meant after steal this album rather, only song i like after that is Lonely Day. Yeah Serj is a political activist now but I think most artists only have so much in them, I suppose theres only so many ways you can flip that Armenian Folk and Metal but they were fresh
Mesmerise is f***ing brilliant: BYOB, Radio/Video, Old School Hollywood are some of their best tracks imho. Worth giving it another listen. It's definitely starting to sound a bit 'written and performed by Daron Malakian' compared to previous albums though.
Serj is a political activist
He's getting a ton of stick right now for failing to condemn the invasion of Ukraine, other than to whatabout on Artsakh.

Armenians have a track record of finding themselves on the wrong side of history sadly.

Last edited:
Mesmerise is f***ing brilliant: BYOB, Radio/Video, Old School Hollywood are some of their best tracks imho. Worth giving it another listen. It's definitely starting to sound a bit 'written and performed by Daron Malakian' compared to previous albums though.

He's getting a ton of stick right now for failing to condemn the invasion of Ukraine, other than to whatabout on Artsakh.

Armenians have a track record of finding themselves on the wrong side of history sadly.
Yeah I'm not sure about their sound in Mesmerise, it sounds too manicured or a bit nerdy, maybe they're being overproduced at this point or I'm just projecting, either way I preferred their manic rawness of the earlier albums.

As for his political activism, I really hate the stick he's getting, Westerners really have no business in judging others who actually have to live the consequences of their decisions, especially seeing as Western countries are the biggest culprits in causing global conflict and instability, I like how our war crimes seem to be conveniently forgotten when it suits our narrative

'Mindgames' Sjunne Ferger.
A instant balearic classic. Reminds me in some ways of 'E2-E4' by Manuel Göttsching.

'Heavy Weather' Weather Report
Jazz funk you can actually listen to.
Waiting for @Sneech to wade in with disgust and inform me I've gone a bit 'yacht rock'-ish
Oh man I'd forgotten about that - just off now to dig out my original 1970s vinyl copy & put it on. (Weather Report that is)

Back