Grayson's Smithies enquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

last year of contract i think, might be a factor.

havent seen him play for a few years but was impressive as a youngster, someone i was keen for the club to look at when he was at huddersfield.

This. Not sure what happened to him but looked as if he was going to play at a higher level than he has.

Huddersfield fans didn't and he's one of their own

Was that not more to how he was looking to leave earlier in his career when he was being touted about though? Can't imagine the've had many better keepers in recent years.

Mannone is very easy to replace

Out of the players probably looking to leave like Lens and Khazri I'm much less bothered about Mannone than any of them. Most the others are probably Premier League standard, with Mannone I'm still not convinced he is.

Last edited:
This. Not sure what happened to him but looked as if he was going to play at a higher level than he has.

Was that not more to how he was looking to leave earlier in his career when he was being touted about though? Can't imagine the've had many better keepers in recent years.

Out of the players probably looking to leave like Lens and Khazri I'm much less bothered about Mannone than any of them. Most the others are probably Premier League standard, with Mannone I'm still not convinced he is.

My issue was just we now need another player, its more hassle and problems we don't need, he would have done a job for a season

No problem with him personally but he needs a change of scenery. Been mentally scarred since the 8-0 and never recovered.

Highly involved with the Bradley thing too. Didn't want to be here apparently and was on a hefty wage likely.

Cheers for your efforts Vito but it's right he's sold (presuming we get a replacement)

Was in his last year with us and has secured a 3 year contract with Reading ,looking after his family obviously. Good on him ,had some good games for us and some shockers but a pretty sound lad judging from his involvement with Bradley.

My issue was just we now need another player, its more hassle and problems we don't need, he would have done a job for a season

I get that. I just think considering Mannone's contract and him probably being a high earner it's probably best dealt with now than losing him for nothing in a season or having to give him another contract at the same kind of level, when maybe we don't actually want to keep him.

I get that. I just think considering Mannone's contract and him probably being a high earner it's probably best dealt with now than losing him for nothing in a season or having to give him another contract at the same kind of level, when maybe we don't actually want to keep him.

Possibly

But if we sign rob green we are worse

Northern Echo said we've been quoted £8million for Smithies and are turning our attention to Rob Green :eek:, who's the Dutch lad who's supposedly in the North East for talks?

I'm not sure that's true tbf. I don't think hes been anymore error prone than Mannone, certainly he's been a better shotstopper.
I made this point the other day, that Green was a pretty similar keeper to mannone and wouldn't be a downgrade. I got pelters like and the consensus was that Green was error prone. Well Mannone was hardly error free. Ultimately either are great but imo selling mannone and getting Green on a potential free seems like reasonable business and football sense.

If we sign this guy and he turns out to be any good, the chances are that we will sell them before the start of the next season. We have sold 3 decent quality keepers in the space of 20 months and we have not replaced any of them. We sell any player of any quality that emerges in the squad. If you have three half decent keepers, you should be aiming to keep at least one of them, not sell all of them in quick succession. We sold 4 quality keepers in the last few years if you include Mignolet. A team like us need keepers than get pull off outstanding saves in critical matches, yet we just move them all on. Now we do not even really have any established first choice keeper at all.

How can this be considered preparing for the next season, let alone preparing for a promotion campaign? We are looking like we are getting ready for a long time trying to keep our noses above the relegation zone.

Are we as a club underestimating how important a position goalkeeper is ?

In my opinion, centre half and goalkeeper are the biggest two, followed by a decent striker or two.

A teams confidence is built from being solid at the back, which is why I am delighted that we have sold Mannone and even made a profit on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back