Grant McCann - Hull

I was amazed he managed to keep his job given the way they surrendered their way to relegation in the 19/20 season. That's 18 months more work than even he probably thought he'd get, so fair play.

I wouldn't say Shota Arveladze was a no-mark like. Had a very decent playing career.

He’s done a really good job there
A lot of fans have never forgiven McCann for the way we were relegated in 2019/2020. Off the top, I’ve seen 7 relegations in my life (even rock bottom of Division 3) and that was the worst. Yes they were mitigating factors, but it was unbelievable the way they surrendered.

McCann did restore himself partially last season. But, even up to March, most fans wanted him sacked. I think most other clubs would have sacked him on a few occasions but he seemed tight with the Allams: this was hardly endearing.

Even now, looking at forum polls, most fans wanted him sacked. A few have made a volte face in view of last two results, which were great (slightly fortuitous at AFCB as they should have been home and hosed by half time but that’s football). He plays good football, but can lack tactical pragmatism (strong rumours that the old regime forced him to play 4-3-3)

Yes, he’s done well in part this season, and I’d have given him longer – no doubt, we’re far from safe and sacking him is a risk. But, sentiment aside, the vast majority of fans wanted rid of the Allams for so long, we’re willing to support it. Apparently, the his compo package and his fate has been known to him since last year (takeover has been dragging on for ages).

As for the new owner, I’ll remain quiet until we have clarity. There are plans for a decent senior management set up, and whilst I’m a little indifferent to the 20 or so names that we’re supposed to signing from Europe, I’ll wait and see. As for Arveladze, unfortunately, it doesn’t inspire me, but again, we’ll wait and see.

As for McCann, he’ll get a good League 1 job and do well. He’ll be in demand I’d imagine. He’s only 42 and still learning. He also seems like a decent person.
Best of luck to him and it may well come back to bite us.

Thought he did well

This seems like chaos to me

No. Under the Allams we were under a manged decline and governed by spite. It was joyless, with loads boycotting since the name change debacle started.

We'll judge the new regime when the dust settles and their intentions crystalise.

That is what I would have assumed, but not according to 'one of your own', Phil Buckingham:

Under the allams it was the most successful period in your whole history?

No. Under the Allams we were under a manged decline and governed by spite. It was joyless, with loads boycotting since the name change debacle started.

We'll judge the new regime when the dust settles and their intentions crystalise.

That is what I would have assumed, but not according to 'one of your own', Phil Buckingham:

Does the new owner know the new manager? As in a connection somewhere down the line

Under the allams it was the most successful period in your whole history?

It was.

But it was a time of division and malice too. Community groups kicked out of community rooms, their equipment sold, concessions removed, changing our badge, starting a PL season with 13 seasoned professionals...

I haven't got time to detail all what the Allams did (too much), but I'd have rather be back in Division 4 again than be Hull Tigers.
Does the new owner know the new manager? As in a connection somewhere down the line
If it is Arveladze, then I think they're supposed to mates.

Not a good look but no doubt happens more than we realise in football.

Last edited:
He’s done a really good job there

Thought he did well

This seems like chaos to me
Like evaluating most things, the answers mixed.

If you forget about his first season, then yes, he’s done well.

But anyone who witnessed it, lived it, going from 8th after NYD win away at Sheff Wed to finish to finish bottom, was beyond anything anyone could have imagined (and this included an 8-0 away defeat at Wigan – a record).

Last season, in the final third mainly, it was great.

This season, with supposedly the lowest budget in the division, he’s obviously done well especially as we are under a transfer embargo. Some proper good youngsters have come through too.

I don’t think chaos is correct either. It’s just the social media whirlwind unsettling what had been settled a long time ago. The club statement, which I won't bore you with, offers some clarity.

A bit surprised that he survived their relegation from the Championship given how they capitulated but he seemed to have turned it around since and they look a safe bet to stay up and kick on.

Replacing him with someone without experience in English football is dangerous too.

Like evaluating most things, the answers mixed.

If you forget about his first season, then yes, he’s done well.

But anyone who witnessed it, lived it, going from 8th after NYD win away at Sheff Wed to finish to finish bottom, was beyond anything anyone could have imagined (and this included an 8-0 away defeat at Wigan – a record).

Last season, in the final third mainly, it was great.

This season, with supposedly the lowest budget in the division, he’s obviously done well especially as we are under a transfer embargo. Some proper good youngsters have come through too.

I don’t think chaos is correct either. It’s just the social media whirlwind unsettling what had been settled a long time ago. The club statement, which I won't bore you with, offers some clarity.

Fair play must admit I did forget about the nature of that collapse

In an alternative universe Mike Ashley gave Big Sam a few quid and a bit of time. It makes me glad to be living in a universe where 'the Saudi government' are paying good money to promote Tweets that remind me Jermaine Defoe is older than Chris Wood.

Feels like a completely different club, for better or worse. Not sure what the players have made of it all but I'm worried about this weekend's game. Beyond that who knows. But the previous regime had to go and relegation would have happened under them if not this season then the next.

Personally I don't ask for much. I see us as a mid table championship club and I'd be happy with that every season tbh.

Back