Grant McCann - Hull

Their way of getting the fans to like them. He hasn't been liked by the fans since he took them down. Even last year winning the league and bouncing back at the 1st time of asking, there were many of their fans wanting him gone saying he wasn't the man to take them forward. Another example of a team after having a taste of the premier league, thinking they should be challenging at least at the top end of the championship when in reality they overacheived back then.

Seems harsh. What’s he had in the way of money for, or influence over transfers and the like? He’s done a decent job getting them up last season and getting them where they are so far. But do the new owners see this as his limit and are wanting to push on?

Shota Arveladze has been lined up since November apparently. Frying pan and fire with the move from the Allams to this fella I fear.
As long as he doesn't try and change the name of the club or wish death on the fans, he should be an improvement. Although I don't see how winning the Uzbek league a couple of times makes someone a strong candidate for managing in the Championship but hey ho.

A lot of fans have never forgiven McCann for the way we were relegated in 2019/2020. Off the top, I’ve seen 7 relegations in my life (even rock bottom of Division 3) and that was the worst. Yes they were mitigating factors, but it was unbelievable the way they surrendered.

McCann did restore himself partially last season. But, even up to March, most fans wanted him sacked. I think most other clubs would have sacked him on a few occasions but he seemed tight with the Allams: this was hardly endearing.

Even now, looking at forum polls, most fans wanted him sacked. A few have made a volte face in view of last two results, which were great (slightly fortuitous at AFCB as they should have been home and hosed by half time but that’s football). He plays good football, but can lack tactical pragmatism (strong rumours that the old regime forced him to play 4-3-3)

Yes, he’s done well in part this season, and I’d have given him longer – no doubt, we’re far from safe and sacking him is a risk. But, sentiment aside, the vast majority of fans wanted rid of the Allams for so long, we’re willing to support it. Apparently, the his compo package and his fate has been known to him since last year (takeover has been dragging on for ages).

As for the new owner, I’ll remain quiet until we have clarity. There are plans for a decent senior management set up, and whilst I’m a little indifferent to the 20 or so names that we’re supposed to signing from Europe, I’ll wait and see. As for Arveladze, unfortunately, it doesn’t inspire me, but again, we’ll wait and see.

As for McCann, he’ll get a good League 1 job and do well. He’ll be in demand I’d imagine. He’s only 42 and still learning. He also seems like a decent person.
Best of luck to him and it may well come back to bite us.

Back