Grand central

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

It is very funny what some threads can turn into. Let's just agree 100 quid to London on the train is a bit excessive!

And 350 quid to fly between Rhodes and newcastle is nuts. I could nearly get a month interrail pass through Europe for that.
It is nuts but that was the price i had to pay on the day i wanted to travel and when i had to book it that's how it works. I could travel around europe all year by train for nothing but it's still not relevant to the OP :):D:lol::)

A couple of days ago I looked at what it would cost to get from Durham to Barcelona by train. There are three sectors that have to be booked separately. Costs for a return ticket for each sector was:

Durham-Kings Cross - £92.00 2nd class - 2h 59m
St Pancras-Paris - £58.00 2nd class - 2h 28m
Paris-Barcelona - €120.00 (approx £105.00) 1st class - 6h 33m

The joy. We pay double the cost for shitter, busier (often turn you away), minging trains staffed by miserable arseholes (bar gc).

Is there an optimum time when to book for GC or LNER for that matter?

I am looking to book tickets for a weekend London trip in October. The outward (friday afternoon) is about £28 but the return leg (sunday afternoon) about £68. Do the ticket prices ever come down?

It's cheaper for me mates flying in from Dublin than it is for me getting the train from Sunlun.

GC is usually £35 in advance. They show tickets for all operators on their website but the GC ones are indicated with an arrow at the top. I've just paid £35 for first weekend in July.

I am looking to book tickets for a weekend London trip in October. The outward (friday afternoon) is about £28 but the return leg (sunday afternoon) about £68. Do the ticket prices ever come down?

It's cheaper for me mates flying in from Dublin than it is for me getting the train from Sunlun.
M - F comes out earlier than S and S

Fly to London City airport.

GC is usually £35 in advance. They show tickets for all operators on their website but the GC ones are indicated with an arrow at the top. I've just paid £35 for first weekend in July.
Yeah think I just have to wait a few weeks. I'll actually be needing to book for August too just don't have a concrete date.

I use trains a fair bit and get great prices when booking in advance but sometimes they don't help themselves

Plymouth to Sheffield £100, Plymouth to Durham same train £68, Plymouth to Sheffield split tickets £48

I use trains a fair bit and get great prices when booking in advance but sometimes they don't help themselves

Plymouth to Sheffield £100, Plymouth to Durham same train £68, Plymouth to Sheffield split tickets £48
I'm just looking up trains from Plymouth now. Normal price single is just under £80. Split ticketing on the same trains under £40

I'm just looking up trains from Plymouth now. Normal price single is just under £80. Split ticketing on the same trains under £40
Chester le street to York 3 tickets £104. Durham to York on same train 3 tickets for £19. I just don't like the way they try to rob those who don't read advice on the SMB !

Train fares are an absolute minefield. I commute to york and have lost count of the amount of different fares I've encountered. Could do worse than nationalising the whole lot.

Yeah think I just have to wait a few weeks. I'll actually be needing to book for August too just don't have a concrete date.

I could have flown up for cheaper (with the Pompey - Waterloo and tube ticket cost added to the GC cost) but fancy a change. I might sound a bit auld fashioned but from a leisurely point of view there's nee better way of travelling than by train. Book to read, look out the window and admire the view. I've reached the age where I'm in no hurry. :)

A train journey a few years ago from Exeter to Hilsea was coming up at £65. You had to change at Fareham. Booking the same journey with two seperate tickets cost less than £20. Madness and stupid really.

Last edited:
Someone may have already said it but 10-12 weeks before hand is the time to book

Mix up operators too, ie try a single GC outbound and Virgin/LNER single back up or vice Versa, often for me it can be cheaper coming up home on a virgin to Durham then back on a GC from sunlun than a return ticket

You’d be too late then - British Railways came into being at 00.01 on 1 January 1948. I’m hoping we get some sort of “heritage” liveries on the stock when the ‘new’ LNER take over!

That new red LNER suggests they will do a scratters job of the livery by using the existing red of the virgin colours

Makes sense to be fair considering all the HST’s are getting replaced by them new Japanese Azumas at the end of the year

Last edited:

Back