Grand central

Is there an optimum time when to book for GC or LNER for that matter?

I am looking to book tickets for a weekend London trip in October. The outward (friday afternoon) is about £28 but the return leg (sunday afternoon) about £68. Do the ticket prices ever come down?

It's cheaper for me mates flying in from Dublin than it is for me getting the train from Sunlun.
12 weeks in advance

If you want to travel LNER you need a time machine and set the dial no later than 1948.
You’d be too late then - British Railways came into being at 00.01 on 1 January 1948. I’m hoping we get some sort of “heritage” liveries on the stock when the ‘new’ LNER take over!

It's f***ing expensive is what it is.

A couple of days ago I looked at what it would cost to get from Durham to Barcelona by train. There are three sectors that have to be booked separately. Costs for a return ticket for each sector was:

Durham-Kings Cross - £92.00 2nd class - 2h 59m
St Pancras-Paris - £58.00 2nd class - 2h 28m
Paris-Barcelona - €120.00 (approx £105.00) 1st class - 6h 33m

:lol: It kind of is, but at the same time it highlights the ridiculous cost of rail fares.
I got a flight to Rhodes in September for 90 quid but it's costing me 300 quid to get back. I can put 50 quid in me car and get to London and back. I can ride a bike to wherever and bike for nowt. Rail fares can be high but the cost of anything else is irrelevant.

I got a flight to Rhodes in September for 90 quid but it's costing me 300 quid to get back. I can put 50 quid in me car and get to London and back. I can ride a bike to wherever and bike for nowt. Rail fares can be high but the cost of anything else is irrelevant.
How come it's cheaper to fly than use rail?

It's not irrelevant. It's a direct comparison of value. It's relevant as fuck tbf. :lol:

Is there an optimum time when to book for GC or LNER for that matter?

I am looking to book tickets for a weekend London trip in October. The outward (friday afternoon) is about £28 but the return leg (sunday afternoon) about £68. Do the ticket prices ever come down?

It's cheaper for me mates flying in from Dublin than it is for me getting the train from Sunlun.
Isn't the difference because you can actually get the cheaper tickets >12 weeks away Monday to Friday, however the weekend tickets must be booked at 12 weeks or earlier to get them.

The price of the train to London is relevant to the price of a flight to say Malaga? How's that then?
Because one mode of transport is vastly more expensive than the other. Strangely the one that should be cheaper is the more expensive one. It's highlighting the ridiculousness of British rail travel pricing. Bit odd that this annoys you so much mind.

Because one mode of transport is vastly more expensive than the other. Strangely the one that should be cheaper is the more expensive one. It's highlighting the ridiculousness of British rail travel pricing. Bit odd that this annoys you so much mind.
I'm getting a flight from Rhodes to Newcastle in September for 350 quid. The OP can get a train from sunderland to London for 28 quid. So for distance travelled it works out the same. Of course i understand that some airfares may be cheaper than some railfares and some railfares may be cheaper than some airfares. Probably best comparing railfares in other countries with similar wage structures than price of a flight to be honest. The OP is getting a train to London so the price of a flight to somewhere in Europe really is irrelevant in this thread.

Back