GP - Walk in Centre

My useless twat of a Doctor's has no appointments until 13th Nov (unless I call in at 0800 every morning to try and get one on the day - something that isn't convenient as I work 20 miles way from home) and I urgently need to see a doctor for (suspected) nerve damage in my back.
Is this something I can go to a wlk-in-centre with? Ultimately I'm looking for a referal for a scan to see what the damage is.
Alternatively, can I pay to see a private GP? Do such things even exist?

Any advice?

MRI is an investigation that is essentially used to see who is a candidate for surgery

Most back pain settles within 6 weeks with pain relief, physio and mobilisation. Unless its an emergency with spinal cord problems then usually nobody would operate in the first couple of months so depends how long you have been in pain. Red flag symptoms that need immediate attention are weakness in the legs, bladder or bowel issues and numbness round your backside

If its pain in your back or sciatic pain in the legs - physio is the best option and a lot of services have a self referral scheme into physio.

So I would advise ask the GP if there is a self referral scheme for physio. If you have red flag symptoms you need A&E for an immediate scan

My useless twat of a Doctor's has no appointments until 13th Nov (unless I call in at 0800 every morning to try and get one on the day - something that isn't convenient as I work 20 miles way from home) and I urgently need to see a doctor for (suspected) nerve damage in my back.
Is this something I can go to a wlk-in-centre with? Ultimately I'm looking for a referal for a scan to see what the damage is.
Alternatively, can I pay to see a private GP? Do such things even exist?

Any advice?
Book appointments online, I get one the same day every time

So it's ok to fully book your diary and leave no slots for in-day urgent apts? People have to give notice of being sick ?

It's the referral for an MRI that I'm after, I don't expect that useless sack of shit a) care, b) cure me, or c) be anything other than a lazy fuck

NHS will send you physio route first before even considering a scan, been going back and forwards for over 3 months now and just got an appt for mri next week.. if you're prepared to pay phone the spire direct.. I was at the end of my tether and if I wasn't referred for a scan that's what I was going to do..

Never looked into price etc at the spire but I had my first back op there about 8 yrs ago and the staff etc were spot on..

NHS will send you physio route first before even considering a scan, been going back and forwards for over 3 months now and just got an appt for mri next week.. if you're prepared to pay phone the spire direct.. I was at the end of my tether and if I wasn't referred for a scan that's what I was going to do..

Never looked into price etc at the spire but I had my first back op there about 8 yrs ago and the staff etc were spot on..

Yep GP will send you to physio, and they give you exercises without diagnosing anything (because they can't) unfortunately physio can't fix severe arthritis, nobody knows the problem at this stage, why don't they just send you straight for MRI or xray man

Good luck mate, nowt worse than pain in the back, hope you get sorted, keep us informed.
Cheers. My work are being really good despite me being a contractor so am WFH today - I can lie flat on the floor without any pain and crack on with work. Seeing the physio at 11am

Yep GP will send you to physio, and they give you exercises without diagnosing anything (because they can't) unfortunately physio can't fix severe arthritis, nobody knows the problem at this stage, why don't they just send you straight for MRI or xray man

Money is the answer to that mate..

Aye it's the doctors fault :lol:. It's his fault the NHS is ran like a donkey sanctuary with similar levels of funding. I would also suggest that a seriously ill child is more of an urgent case than a bad Cilla ffs.

Convenient for a sick note...
Not when you are self employed and don't get sick pay it isn't

Aye it's the doctors fault :lol:. It's his fault the NHS is ran like a donkey sanctuary with similar levels of funding. I would also suggest that a seriously ill child is more of an urgent case than a bad Cilla ffs.
Yes you are right. All the appointments are taken up with seriously ill children. Every one of them. It's a pandemic

:rolleyes:

Good luck mate, nowt worse than pain in the back, hope you get sorted, keep us informed.
Tightness and stiffness between the Lumbar and the Thoracic causing pressure on the discs and the nerves, hence the pain.
Physio did various procedures on me to loosen up the muscles and encourage the blood to flow including cupping* which was weird but effective. ave me a load of stretches/exercises to do.
Proof will be in the pudding when I go back to work tomorrow

*Cupping is a type of alternative therapy that originated in China. It involves placing cups on the skin to create suction. The suction facilitates healing with blood flow, as well as the flow of “qi” in the body. - it has nothing to do with the testicles

Last edited:

Yes you are right. All the appointments are taken up with seriously ill children. Every one of them. It's a pandemic

Stand at your desk? Driving a little more difficult, maybe put one of those barbers kids things on your seat and recline back?

Tightness and stiffness between the Lumbar and the Thoracic causing pressure on the discs and the nerves, hence the pain.
Physio did various procedures on me to loosen up the muscles and encourage the blood to flow including cupping* which was weird but effective. ave me a load of stretches/exercises to do.
Proof will be in the pudding when I go back to work tomorrow

*Cupping is a type of alternative therapy that originated in China. It involves placing cups on the skin to create suction. The suction facilitates healing with blood flow, as well as the flow of “qi” in the body. - it has nothing to do with the testicles
I will raise you severe arthritis in both right and left hip with nerve root impingment to the right leg with L2 degenerative disc disease :lol:

BTW if you want to get sent straight to hospital, tell them you have pain in your groin and your pissing and shitting yourself.

Stand at your desk? Driving a little more difficult, maybe put one of those barbers kids things on your seat and recline back?
I'm in the process of arranging a standing desk, but it's very hard to do my job standing when the computer is on a normal desk.

I will raise you severe arthritis in both right and left hip with nerve root impingment to the right leg with L2 degenerative disc disease :lol:

BTW if you want to get sent straight to hospital, tell them you have pain in your groin and your pissing and shitting yourself.
Sounds painful. I'm from a family of bad backs but hopefully this is just something that is easily fixable with a better chair and improved posture.

I'm in the process of arranging a standing desk, but it's very hard to do my job standing when the computer is on a normal desk.

Sounds painful. I'm from a family of bad backs but hopefully this is just something that is easily fixable with a better chair and improved posture.
I was joking about the later half, but I remember a bloke having a lean too desk in the early 90s for his back problem

I have an electronic desk than gans up and dowm a ergonomic chair and a foot and leg rest

Not what I meant. I meant bad backs aren't usually classed as urgent. Your doctors is probably no different to any other surgery anywhere else in the country (infact some are probably far worse). As soon as someone can't get an appointment it's "my doctors are useless". The NHS is mismanaged and politician's haven't got a clue how to fix/fund it. It's not the fault of those at the coal face. For what it's worth I took the same route as you and paid for private physiotherapy when I had problem. It's either that or joinn the queue like the rest of us. You're right, the ones taking the appointments aren't the ones that are ill either. It's the ones playing the system devised by the same politicians. Hope you get sorted.

Not what I meant. I meant bad backs aren't usually classed as urgent. Your doctors is probably no different to any other surgery anywhere else in the country (infact some are probably far worse). As soon as someone can't get an appointment it's "my doctors are useless". The NHS is mismanaged and politician's haven't got a clue how to fix/fund it. It's not the fault of those at the coal face. For what it's worth I took the same route as you and paid for private physiotherapy when I had problem. It's either that or joinn the queue like the rest of us. You're right, the ones taking the appointments aren't the ones that are ill either. It's the ones playing the system devised by the same politicians. Hope you get sorted.
My complaint about the doctor is not based solely on the last couple of days. It's been like this for years. I've stopped going, even when really bad as it's just a waste of time. I got mumps about 14 years ago, for the 2nd time in my life and before I had any kids. Naturally I was worried so I went to the doctor. She looked at me, said "I've never seen mumps before" then proceeded to ask me what I wanted her to do.......

Paid £40 for a physio appointment this morning and feel a lot better. Hoping the exercises she has given me will remove the pain

Back