Govt Treasurey Dept Relocating To Newcastle? Sunderland ?

I agree out of town retail/ office has been bad for the centres.
Although I think the idea of “spreading development thinly” is exactly the right thing for a few reasons. It gives places without any employment opportunity on their own doorstep, lessening the need for commuting. Other businesses can thrive on the back of them. The idea of footfall into bigger centre ultimately means to the detriment of another place, as people provide that footfall and they’ve got to originate from somewhere! Eg It would have been entirely wrong for the people of Washington and Houghton if they didn’t have commercial centres just because they fell within the boundary Sunderland district and Sunderland could attract their business....footfall.
This is entirely right for the rest of the region too. The article suggests the cities of the north east “aren’t doing enough” for the surrounding towns. Why should it be like this? The surrounding towns should be thriving on their own steam, which is exactly my point. The evidence is in places like shields, jarrow, Whitley bay etc ARE struggling. the flow of shoppers and commerce goes one way. There hasn’t been the lauded trickle down benefits out of the commercial centre, the so-called London model hasn’t worked. These are observable problems now in towns around the region not any economic hypothesis by any government think thank. it should underscore that things need to change in the region because, overall it’s struggling

Yalreet Roker End

I will add that it should definately be the North East that gets some investment first. Birmingham before covid seemed to be having a lot threw into it, all around the city centre things were being built and obviously HS2 is running through here.

It might be political that they do invest in certain areas of the North East but that's the game. Improve areas that vote for you and try too win their vote again.

There should be a strong north east, midlands and south not just the south. Time to make England great again....

I will add that it should definately be the North East that gets some investment first. Birmingham before covid seemed to be having a lot threw into it, all around the city centre things were being built and obviously HS2 is running through here.

It might be political that they do invest in certain areas of the North East but that's the game. Improve areas that vote for you and try too win their vote again.

There should be a strong north east, midlands and south not just the south. Time to make England great again....
You secure the contract, I'll get the MEGA Caps and shirts printed - lets do this !

OF the three it should be Darlo.

It kind of doesn't matter with technology these days and the new normal but if geography was important then it should be Newcastle because of HMRC. HMRC and Treasury in the upper echelons are so closely linked that it makes sense. I worked for both and they share a building in Westminster...the Parliament Street side is mostly HMRC and the Horseguards side is mostly Treasury, but they are closely entwined.

It kind of doesn't matter with technology these days and the new normal but if geography was important then it should be Newcastle because of HMRC. HMRC and Treasury in the upper echelons are so closely linked that it makes sense. I worked for both and they share a building in Westminster...the Parliament Street side is mostly HMRC and the Horseguards side is mostly Treasury, but they are closely entwined.
Since I've been working in gov myself I've been saying geography really isn't important now and London does not need the government jobs. Finance and other sectors provide enough there so government work could be farmed out to areas of greater need. Once upon a time you would have literally had civil servants running across Whitehall and up Victoria road with documents. No need now.
Hopefully not and it’ll be just around the corner in Newcastle.
I'd prefer Newcastle mysekf too. But there's a greater need for jobs in Darlingpool I'd suspect.

Last edited:
If it comes to the NE it needs to not be in Newcastle. Newcastle already benefits from Cobalt, Silverlink and Longbenton.

There are loads of places in the NE that could benefit from this. Newcastle has more than its fair share and always has had.
This is one of the reasons Newcastle is more likely as a location. Better rail/air links and availability of other departments senior managers.

Last edited:

Back