Govt Treasurey Dept Relocating To Newcastle? Sunderland ?

All for a strong North East and you could make a strong case for putting a new employer anywhere, I just think that we need to consider East Durham and North Tees, especially when Sunderland already has Nissan for example.
Maybe Peterlee. It really needs regeneration and will create jobs for the people of Sunderland, Durham, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough and Stockton.

All for a strong North East and you could make a strong case for putting a new employer anywhere, I just think that we need to consider East Durham and North Tees, especially when Sunderland already has Nissan for example.

Should really be in a town or city centre to support centre redevelopment. What’s the point of the future high street plans and then put them out in the sticks, that why I think tees airport option is an issue.

Interesting that teeside are in for it. Wonder why? It wouldn’t surprise me that they have got it.

one thing i think everyone needs to remember is, when it comes to the civil service and government minsters, they are only interested in their own views and opinions, and it will be placed where is best for them which is why something they already come up with will help greatly in deciding this complex issue.

Should really be in a town or city centre to support centre redevelopment. What’s the point of the future high street plans and then put them out in the sticks, that why I think tees airport option is an issue.

Interesting that teeside are in for it. Wonder why? It wouldn’t surprise me that they have got it.
It’ll be on Pilgrim St if it’s in Newcastle is what I’ve heard. It’ll be newcastle or Leeds. Nobody else is in with a sniff.

The sticks will always be the sticks unless someone puts something there that makes people go there.

There's no real right or wrong answer here besides making sure it doesn't end up just serving Newcastle and North Tyneside to the detriment of the rest of the region, IMO.

I can't help but think this is more about lower wages outside London rather than genuine levelling up.

But jobs are jobs and not to be sniffed at.
I’m hoping being cheap will be a massive benefit. We should be trying to tempt businesses who may be trying to cut their cloth in the post covid/brexit world. We can do owt up here man 👍

Sunderland councillors fast asleep again.

Think about it. This won't go somewhere that benefits the Labour Party. Sunderland has three Labour MPs and a Labour council. Sunderland is safe Labour territory even in a year when the Tories make historic gains.

Labour's continued leadership of Durham County Council is vulnerable, and the Tories need to shore up three new seats in County Durham. If this goes anywhere in the NE, it'll go where benefits the Conservative Party the most.

No councillor is going to have any say where this goes. No council is going to have any say. This will go where the Conservative Party want it to go, based on what benefits them. Sunderland could have a vacant site that would be perfect...and it would go there, if the council wasn't red.

Last edited:

Back