Gout

Indomethacin knocks it down really quickly. Im on allopurinol now which is working good luck!

yes and reduces risk of kidney stones which is a plus
Docotors think it is gout. Gave me Naproxen which has reduced the swelling over the weekend, and feel loads better today. Can actually walk now. Back in for blood test ( i think on wednesday), they have already mentioned Allopurinol.

Nee alcohol this weekend either :( :(

Docotors think it is gout. Gave me Naproxen which has reduced the swelling over the weekend, and feel loads better today. Can actually walk now. Back in for blood test ( i think on wednesday), they have already mentioned Allopurinol.

Colchicine either the pain goes stop taking the tablets or start throwing up stop taking the tablets.

Worst thing for flare ups is booze unfortunately, especially lager and IPAs I've found. When I first started getting the attacks in my feet and didn't know what it was, I would just go out on the drink and limp about. The next few days after were some of the worst pain I've ever had.

Worst thing for flare ups is booze unfortunately, especially lager and IPAs I've found. When I first started getting the attacks in my feet and didn't know what it was, I would just go out on the drink and limp about. The next few days after were some of the worst pain I've ever had.
This is what I feared most ffs. Oh well good excuse to cut down on booze. I'll just be an even more boring bastard then I am now.

edit: Re-Reading the thread and 2 people have mentioned mushrooms, seems pretty weird to me, plus I like mushrooms :(

Last edited:
This is what I feared most ffs. Oh well good excuse to cut down on booze. I'll just be an even more boring bastard then I am now.

edit: Re-Reading the thread and 2 people have mentioned mushrooms, seems pretty weird to me, plus I like mushrooms :(

In my experience its cheap lager that gets me.

Worst flare up I had was after a box of Aldi own brand stuff. Serves me right I suppose

Yep, Moretti seems to be the biggest factor in flare ups for me. Everytime I had it the next day my feet would be starting to kill me. But yeah any booze is the worst thing. Mushrooms? I wouldn't think so. Bet the same people saying that had eight pints during and after a meal and blaming the mushies 😂

Yep, Moretti seems to be the biggest factor in flare ups for me. Everytime I had it the next day my feet would be starting to kill me. But yeah any booze is the worst thing. Mushrooms? I wouldn't think so. Bet the same people saying that had eight pints during and after a meal and blaming the mushies 😂
Oh ffs, my current favourite in a pub.

Is there any difference between premium and cooking lagers? Stella was mentioned earlier as well

Oh ffs, my current favourite in a pub.

Is there any difference between premium and cooking lagers? Stella was mentioned earlier as well
Are you getting attacks a lot and does it come on after a session? I mean it's always a risk when you know you have gout. Any alcohol can set it off it just seems to be lager and IPAs for me. Booze is definitely the main offender for attacks, it takes longer for your body to get alcohol out of your system and wherever you have gout that's where it's going to flare up. It really is a penance like.

Are you getting attacks a lot and does it come on after a session? I mean it's always a risk when you know you have gout. Any alcohol can set it off it just seems to be lager and IPAs for me. Booze is definitely the main offender for attacks, it takes longer for your body to get alcohol out of your system and wherever you have gout that's where it's going to flare up. It really is a penance like.
This is my first attack. Started 2 weeks ago tomorrow in my big toe, and slowly the pain got worse and went to the Doctors on Friday. Back in the Docs tomorrow for blood test.

Happy to admit I drink more then normal, not binging, but a few everyday. Probably a good way of my body telling to me cut down.

This is my first attack. Started 2 weeks ago tomorrow in my big toe, and slowly the pain got worse and went to the Doctors on Friday. Back in the Docs tomorrow for blood test.

Happy to admit I drink more then normal, not binging, but a few everyday. Probably a good way of my body telling to me cut down.
See what the tests say mate. When I went to see the doctor three year ago, after tests and what not, he told me I'm just unlucky for having it but the flare ups were 90% certain because of drinking. I knew that n'all because it always happened after drinking. Just be careful and honestly, regardless of boozing, best advice is drink a load of water daily. Flushes the system out so it goes out before getting to the joints gout affects.

Currently having a bad flare up. Big toe. That bone on top of your foot and both ankle bones. Agony. Double doses of naproxen making no in roads.

Currently having a bad flare up. Big toe. That bone on top of your foot and both ankle bones. Agony. Double doses of naproxen making no in roads.
Just got rid of mine. Lasted 9 days. Horrendous. No medication was working. Keep drinking water mate
First attack in a year started last night, hobbled around all day today but fairly sure I'll be laid up tomorrow.
It's rank isn't it

I'd love to be able to pin point what sets it off like. I always thought mine was red wine or BBQ sauce but I've cut those out and I still get the bugger even though I'm on Allopurinol

Just got rid of mine. Lasted 9 days. Horrendous. No medication was working. Keep drinking water mate

It's rank isn't it
I am limited to 1 litre of fluid a day which may be the cause. I have a temporary “ bag “ which gets reversed in 2 weeks time. It is a very active bag and I am def dehydrated all the time. Weekly visit to hospital for infusions.
I have never had gout like this. When my op is over I need this gout investigated as it’s getting worse with age. I’ve had no rich food or booze for 3 months.

I am limited to 1 litre of fluid a day which may be the cause. I have a temporary “ bag “ which gets reversed in 2 weeks time. It is a very active bag and I am def dehydrated all the time. Weekly visit to hospital for infusions.
I have never had gout like this. When my op is over I need this gout investigated as it’s getting worse with age. I’ve had no rich food or booze for 3 months.
Is there anything in your diet you repeatedly have? The way my doctor goes on she'd only be happy when I'm only drinking water and eating lettuce for the rest of my days

Is there anything in your diet you repeatedly have? The way my doctor goes on she'd only be happy when I'm only drinking water and eating lettuce for the rest of my days
Not that I can think of. I am really just eating plain and stodgy food and there is no pattern. I want to get on the allopurinol as soon as.

Back