Gordons Butchers

Doing ready meals instead. Will save on rent and rates. Getting 2 successive 1 out of 5 on the scores on the doors probably didn’t help.

Was this the curlyheaded lad or the other one? Which one is still at Pickingses?

@heroesof73 //
Hi Marra, He maybe did briefly have curly hair at Pickings but like most in food Industry kept it short. Since opening up on his own mostly short and slicked back. The one still at Pickings is older than Gordon--fairly sure he is called Paul--but both long servers and think they started straight from School or College. Another clue for the fella who runs it now is he has a private number plate--not as good as the one that George (rip) had but recognizable anyway especially when he parks it over the road. Another differential is that Gordon is into Bodybuilding which might well help understand his promotion of "clean eating" meals and Protein packs.
There have been warning signs for a while in hindsight (what a wonderful thing that is!) and the first 1 star hygiene rating must have had an impact. His front window was broken 3/4 months ago and not been fixed--although that might be more of a landlord issue with Ken? I was back home a couple of weeks ago and did notice that the blind was down all week on the window that was broken which hardly made a welcoming site. Never looked busy either then when I went past but not that easy to see with blind down but I would think it would discourage passing trade if not regulars.
Was first posted that he was going to be closed on Monday because of a burst pipe but then escalated to closed altogether which suggests he may have been buying some time to explore his options? The information on the 2nd 1 star hygiene rating only seemed to come to light after the closure announcement which would take some recovery from. Don't like to see a local business close, especially when handy for me, but hygiene ratings are a cause for concern obviously.
Actually getting a flashback now and can recall Paul(?) maybe having a bit of curly hair at one time (not that kind of curly hair man:lol:;)) but he did have a tash and maybe even a shade of ginger about him?
Well that was a long answer to a short question!

Hi Marra, He maybe did briefly have curly hair at Pickings but like most in food Industry kept it short. Since opening up on his own mostly short and slicked back. The one still at Pickings is older than Gordon--fairly sure he is called Paul--but both long servers and think they started straight from School or College. Another clue for the fella who runs it now is he has a private number plate--not as good as the one that George (rip) had but recognizable anyway especially when he parks it over the road. Another differential is that Gordon is into Bodybuilding which might well help understand his promotion of "clean eating" meals and Protein packs.
There have been warning signs for a while in hindsight (what a wonderful thing that is!) and the first 1 star hygiene rating must have had an impact. His front window was broken 3/4 months ago and not been fixed--although that might be more of a landlord issue with Ken? I was back home a couple of weeks ago and did notice that the blind was down all week on the window that was broken which hardly made a welcoming site. Never looked busy either then when I went past but not that easy to see with blind down but I would think it would discourage passing trade if not regulars.
Was first posted that he was going to be closed on Monday because of a burst pipe but then escalated to closed altogether which suggests he may have been buying some time to explore his options? The information on the 2nd 1 star hygiene rating only seemed to come to light after the closure announcement which would take some recovery from. Don't like to see a local business close, especially when handy for me, but hygiene ratings are a cause for concern obviously.
Actually getting a flashback now and can recall Paul(?) maybe having a bit of curly hair at one time (not that kind of curly hair man:lol:;)) but he did have a tash and maybe even a shade of ginger about him?
Well that was a long answer to a short question!
His name is Paul Clark. I've known him for years. Shame about Gordon's as it was a good shop. I think there is a story behind its closure!!!!

His name is Paul Clark. I've known him for years. Shame about Gordon's as it was a good shop. I think there is a story behind its closure!!!!
Yes I did remember correctly and posted a link to an article with pic to confirm after. I seen them both start under George's wing and I think he would be surprised, if alive today, to see Paul still there and Gordon set up in competition in Boldon.
Yes there has to be a story behind it (apart from Hygiene ratings) and maybe some lease issues around improvements needed?

Back