Gordon Banks has died

Ah yeah man...he was very like Monty in many ways....great guy. Footballers today are nothing like those from the 60s and 70s....a few exceptions aside

i think stoke was his hometown club though iirc ?.... They were in Div 1 at the time iirc
I don't think there was anyone else in for him. Greenwood apparently wanted him at West Ham but he refused to dishonour a gentleman's agreement with Kilmarnock that he's already made. Different times.

As a young lad watching the 1970 World Cup on telly, bewitched by the brilliance of the Brazilians (arguably the greatest team, certainly one of the greatest, to play the game), I had the breath taken from me when Gordon Banks made that save. Even the great Pele thought it was in!
Peace be with you & your family & friends, Mr Banks. A true gentleman, sportsman & human being....
This.

He was in goal in my second trip to Roker. Stood right behind him at the front of the Roker. What an immense bloke he was , in every way.

RIP Gordon, one of my first footballing heroes.

Sad thing is he had to sell his winners medal a few years ago. £125k. A national disgrace.
It's genuinely sad that things like this happen. The amount of money that's sloshing around in the game these days, that's probably not far off a weeks wages to an average Premier League player. Reports say that Gordon was never bitter about how much modern players get paid, but to have to sell your World Cup winners medal has got to sting a little bit.

Sad thing is he had to sell his winners medal a few years ago. £125k. A national disgrace.

He said himself the reason was to save his kids from having to decide what to do with it when he died.
Obviously footballers get paid more now, but he didn't play football in these times. That's life unfortunately.
I don't know what the solution is for footballers who played when wages weren't ridiculous, but it's not really a national disgrace IMO.

Anyway, a very nice gesture for him to save his kids the decision, and to gift them the cash - from what I understand.

A good man by all accounts, and his record as a keeper speaks for itself.
Very sad that his career was cut short in the manner that it was.

Ah yeah man...he was very like Monty in many ways....great guy. Footballers today are nothing like those from the 60s and 70s....a few exceptions aside

Sheffield was his hometown and he began his career ( after being a coalman) at Chesterfield....but we are oleasep that he loved his time at Stoke, settlrsett the city and was a great ambassador for the club. He was president at his death. Credit should be given to our great manager of the 60s and 70s who saw the great value of goalkeepers in bringing him to Stoke, Inthe early 60s the goalkeeper role was not really really appreciated....I genuinely think that Banksy changed that. His greatest skill was his positioning.....man mis the time that a forward would have an accurate and hard shot......onl o for Banks to catch it as though it was a back pass and wuickqu distribute it, changing defence into attack.
Montgomery was also brilliant. Some amazing spectacular saves
i think stoke was his hometown club though iirc ?.... They were in Div 1 at the time iirc

1. Sheffield was his hometown and he began his career ( after being a coalman) at Chesterfield....but we are oleasep that he loved his time at Stoke, settlrsett the city and was a great ambassador for the club. He was president at his death. Credit should be given to our great manager of the 60s and 70s who saw the great value of goalkeepers in bringing him to Stoke, Inthe early 60s the goalkeeper role was not really really appreciated....I genuinely think that Banksy changed that. His greatest skill was his positioning.....man mis the time that a forward would have an accurate and hard shot......onl o for Banks to catch it as though it was a back pass and wuickqu distribute it, changing defence into attack.
    Montgomery was also brilliant. Some amazing spectacular saves

Should have caught it.
I don't know if this is what you are referring to but when he made that save thst other great man who also should have been knighted , Sir Bobby Moore, said something like " You are losing it Banksy, next time catch it"

Last edited:

Back