Gordon Banks has died

If Pele says that you are canny good then you are world beater. A great goalie and a gentleman footballer he was England's rock in 1966 and 1970. Mind I would always argue that Monty was as good. What a wealth of fantastic goalies we had in the 1960's.

RIP Banksy - a good life well lived.

RIP Mr banks, a absolute legend like the other players that won us the world cup, I am teaching my youngest about legends of the game at the moment and Gordon banks will be the one he learns about tonight, I hope there is a big deal made of this as him and the other winning players of that world cup should be immortalised within the English game.

I was about 5 or 6 when I heard the news of his eye injury and it was an early introduction to the way footballers' careers are cut short without warning, I think Tony Green at the Skunks was at a similar time. He was the keeper everyone saw as the best in the world and as a kid it was Banks and Monty I "was" when I had to go in nets. Sad news today

Ah shit man. I idolized him as a littke kid growing up in Loughborough even though he played for Leicester and my team at the time was Forest. I used to have a yellow goalkeepers top like he wore for England and remember meeting him and getting his autograph , i think at a book signing, after his car accident. He was a lovely bloke and i always remember that his autography took up one full page of my book. I would not allow anyone else to use his page.
RIP Banksy

Banks really shows the stark differences between football then and the money game that it is now.

Probably the best keeper in the world, just won a World Cup and Leicester refused to resign him...wouldn't even pay him a loyalty bonus and does he sign for Liverpool? Nope 50 grand is far to expensive. ManU...Arsenal? Nah. A big foreign club might have wanted him. Madrid or Juve? Not a chance. f***ing Stoke.

Gentleman.

I envy those of you that were lucky enough to meet him.
What a privilege.

Ah yeah man...he was very like Monty in many ways....great guy. Footballers today are nothing like those from the 60s and 70s....a few exceptions aside

Banks really shows the stark differences between football then and the money game that it is now.

Probably the best keeper in the world, just won a World Cup and Leicester refused to resign him...wouldn't even pay him a loyalty bonus and does he sign for Liverpool? Nope 50 grand is far to expensive. ManU...Arsenal? Nah. A big foreign club might have wanted him. Madrid or Juve? Not a chance. f***ing Stoke.

Gentleman.

i think stoke was his hometown club though iirc ?.... They were in Div 1 at the time iirc

Last edited:

Back