Gordon Banks has died

Really sad about this. As a young kid I always fancied myself as a keeper and Banks and Monty were my heroes. Banks used to write a weekly article in Tiger & Scorcher (I said I was young) and I would always read it first before Roy of the Rovers and Billys Boots etc. I was fairly devastated about his car crash and sent him a get well card. As pointed out he always came across well, loads of humility despite the fact that he was a master of his craft. RIP Gordon, you were a good'un.

Always thought this goal should have stood. Just for the sheer impudence of Best and he was careful to not actually foul Banks while flicking the ball.

Yeah that goal should have been given.

R.I.P.
Absolute legend - the best ever England goalie IMHO

Totally this.

To the young un's- think how great Monty was for Sunderland- Gordon Banks was even better.

Last edited:
As a young lad watching the 1970 World Cup on telly, bewitched by the brilliance of the Brazilians (arguably the greatest team, certainly one of the greatest, to play the game), I had the breath taken from me when Gordon Banks made that save. Even the great Pele thought it was in!
Peace be with you & your family & friends, Mr Banks. A true gentleman, sportsman & human being....

Fantastic post.

RIP.

Back