Gordon Armstrong

If his consortium was better than Donald's, why did Ellis Short not choose theirs?

It was Shorts decision to make, not Stewart Donald's and Armstrong is coming off looking like a bit of a tit and a sore loser.

We are debt free and have gone from losing £500k a week to maing £100k a week

If you've listened to the Podcast, SD states that he had some worries about competing in the Championship when he heard that Derby's owner has put £200m in to the club, but in general he is comfortable that he/they can fund a Championship campaign without external investment
I reckon maybe half the League 1 owners have less wealth than SD,give or take.

The Championship is a very different matter. There are some seriously rich owners in the league above.

If his consortium was better than Donald's, why did Ellis Short not choose theirs?

It was Shorts decision to make, not Stewart Donald's and Armstrong is coming off looking like a bit of a tit and a sore loser.
It's hard to be 100% because SD controls the news, but I believe it when he said Ellis thought he was best for the club.

Whoever was behind the other bids didn't show their face but chose to hide behind Mickey Gray and Gordon Armstrong which doesn't inspire confidence.

Armstrong wasn’t a shit player.

Whatever anyone thinks of his twitter behaviour (and I personally think he’s acting like a spoilt brat), he wasn’t shit.

During his time with us he was often one of our better players and for the leagues we were in, he certainly did a job. He definitely had his critics (although a lot of it was unjustified in my opinion) he definitely wasn’t shit.

Completely this. Never the best but certainly never the worst. Was a great servant for us, detested the mags and got unjustified criticism in his playing days.

So poor how players who brilliant for us getting slagged off to the hilt just because they don’t love Charlie n Donald

They’ve been here less than a year man

So poor how players who brilliant for us getting slagged off to the hilt just because they don’t love Charlie n Donald

They’ve been here less than a year man

It's why they don't love them which is getting the airing. No one is disputing Armstrong's commitment to this club when he was here.

We are debt free and have gone from losing £500k a week to maing £100k a week

If you've listened to the Podcast, SD states that he had some worries about competing in the Championship when he heard that Derby's owner has put £200m in to the club, but in general he is comfortable that he/they can fund a Championship campaign without external investment
But we aren't going to go on spending spree. From what I gathered from the podcast is Donald owes the club money and will drip feed it back into the club. Hopefully we get a proper recruitment team in with decent scouts instead of relying on failures like Coton and Hill.

It's why they don't love them which is getting the airing. No one is disputing Armstrong's commitment to this club when he was here.
In fairness it's not just Armstrong and his opinions on Donald. Goodman got dogs abuse because he tipped Charlton to win on Sunday. Mickey Gray is treated like scum because of his comments about Short. Quinn, Phillips, Allardyce, Defoe all got it from people on here just because they said something negative or didn't 100% pipe off SAFC in any interview.

Last edited:
It's hard to be 100% because SD controls the news, but I believe it when he said Ellis thought he was best for the club.

Whoever was behind the other bids didn't show their face but chose to hide behind Mickey Gray and Gordon Armstrong which doesn't inspire confidence.

Surely Short picked the best option available to him? I'm guessing after royally f***ing the job up under his own stewardship and having to pay a lot of money just to pass the club on, he wouldn't have wanted the club to go to a consortium with the best ideas of how to get the club stable?

Gray doesn't have nay money and Armstrong is a football agent and we all know how they operate! After listening to the latest podcast, I do believe Short got it right and picked the best people available.

Surely Short picked the best option available to him? I'm guessing after royally f***ing the job up under his own stewardship and having to pay a lot of money just to pass the club on, he wouldn't have wanted the club to go to a consortium with the best ideas of how to get the club stable?

Gray doesn't have nay money and Armstrong is a football agent and we all know how they operate! After listening to the latest podcast, I do believe Short got it right and picked the best people available.
Stew was obviously gutted because he'd let people down

The Meth was raging because he'd lost a few quid

Seeing as Stew is the big boys we have the right man

Always liked Gordon Amstrong. Great mop, I always thought....until I sat behind him once at the pictures. Couldn't see owt past his permo. I think it was silence of the lambs.

I thought he was a much better player than many in the crowd did. He was a target for the boo boys when things started going wrong. Not outstanding, that's why he played most of his career in the second division, but at that level I thought we weren't the same team without him. Provided balance, a good passer of the baller, good header of the ball and a goal threat more than most midfielders at that level - but he did have the knack of being caught by the opposition trying to dig the ball out of his feet, a bit like Owers in that sense but a better all round player than Owers.

Back