Gordon Armstrong

I thought he was a much better player than many in the crowd did. He was a target for the boo boys when things started going wrong. Not outstanding, that's why he played most of his career in the second division, but at that level I thought we weren't the same team without him. Provided balance, a good passer of the baller, good header of the ball and a goal threat more than most midfielders at that level - but he did have the knack of being caught by the opposition trying to dig the ball out of his feet, a bit like Owers in that sense but a better all round player than Owers.
Yes. Good header indeed....who will ever forget the header against Chelsea.....his hair literally grabbed the ball and threw it into the net. Lol.

I remember listening to 2 lads arguing about him in the fullwell end. One saying he was worth his weight as he put in a good shift, never stopped running up and down the pitch. The other said he was hopeless..said a donkey could keep going up and down the pitch all day for less money and.more effect. Typical clash of football philosophies I guess.

I also liked owers, but he has a nightmare in the play off final v Swindon. Missed our only chance. I was little then, but I still remember holding my head in my hands when he seemed to run out of puff in that match. Threw away my scarf into the crowd at the end in protest...and my dad ran 8 rows down to get it. Said we'd spend 2 quid on that, and if I didnt want it he would give it to my sister. I still have it today.

Fun times. Kind of.

Yes. Good header indeed....who will ever forget the header against Chelsea.....his hair literally grabbed the ball and threw it into the net. Lol.

I remember listening to 2 lads arguing about him in the fullwell end. One saying he was worth his weight as he put in a good shift, never stopped running up and down the pitch. The other said he was hopeless..said a donkey could keep going up and down the pitch all day. Typical clash of football philosophies I guess.

I also liked owers, but he has a nightmare in the play off final v Swindon. Missed our only chance. I was little then, but I still remember holding my head in my hands when he seemed to run out of puff in that match. Threw away my scarf into the crowd at the end in protest...and my dad ran 8 rows down to get it. Said we'd spend 2 quid on that, and if I didnt want it he would give it to my sister. I still have it today.

Fun times. Kind of.

Armstrong was much more than a player who ran up and down the wing. That's more not watching the match than a difference in perspective.

Good player at Division Two level.

Blasphemy? Not sure what you're talking about mate. Just saying he never has a good word to say about him. SD done more good than bad this season imo.

He does but he makes a few good points. In regards to the football side of things we haven't improved and seem to be carrying with the same method we had under Short. All the players we have signed have no sell on value with the exception of McLaughlin and O'Nien. We haven't used the academy to our advantage and the recruitment team has a history of failure.

If he's a billionaire why are we looking for outside investors? A billionaire would be well able to fund a League One club. A £4m increase in wages would be nothing to him. He could cover that. For instance how many billionaires do Norwich or Burnley have?
Ffp

Good servant for SAFC and Sunderland fan,explain your comment please.
Better his consortium that the cockney wide boys currently in place.
mag alert
Gordon along with 5 others put forward a bid to take the club, however those in with him did not and could not provide enough funds to give the security needed for Ellis to accept them, that is a fact.
Micky Gray was not part of this group BTW.
Gordon has seen fit to slate all efforts to move the club forward, he seems to appear when it's backs to the wall job, but last season when we almost got it right and things were a BIT more positive he vanished under a stone.

Last edited:
Loved the team to bits when we had Armstrong and Owers in it. Armstrong had his critics of course, but over the years he served the club well. He wasn't a footballer by fluke, and on his day he had a sweet foot, as well as being a pretty good header of the ball for a midfielder. Owers was a bag of energy, not too unlike O'Nien, and from memory had a similarly awkward running style. Both lads born in Newcastle. There was also Paul Lemon, born in Middlesbrough, who was a regular target for the boo boys, and Paul Atkinson from Chester-le-Street in that period. I don't know what level these players would be at today if they were transported in a time machine, but I think Armstrong and Owers would have comfortably made the current first XI at Sunderland.

Loved the team to bits when we had Armstrong and Owers in it. Armstrong had his critics of course, but over the years he served the club well. He wasn't a footballer by fluke, and on his day he had a sweet foot, as well as being a pretty good header of the ball for a midfielder. Owers was a bag of energy, not too unlike O'Nien, and from memory had a similarly awkward running style. Both lads born in Newcastle. There was also Paul Lemon, born in Middlesbrough, who was a regular target for the boo boys, and Paul Atkinson from Chester-le-Street in that period. I don't know what level these players would be at today if they were transported in a time machine, but I think Armstrong and Owers would have comfortably made the current first XI at Sunderland.

Good post, marra!

They’d be easily our best two players. Whereas Lemon and Atkinson were the standard of the players currently failing badly.

Back