1. The forums are temporarily closed for new registrations
    We expect to re-open for new users towards the end of July.
    Dismiss Notice

"Google workers can listen to what people say to its AI home devices"

Discussion in 'SMB' started by MrOompapa, Jul 12, 2019.

1. MrOompapa

MrOompapa Striker

2. Goat Eyes

Goat Eyes Striker

I don’t see me ever owning one for this very reason.

The smart speaker is a great idea but the virtual assistant is a step to far for me.

3. HABA87

HABA87 Winger

We're probably being listened to through our phones anyway, even if you don't have Google Home/Alexa etc.

4. These leaks did come from phones as i understand it. The phone or google home records snippets and uploads them (actually streams direct to cloud but nvm) which if you dont opt out can be accessed by technicians and used for voice training. Some of these (anonymised) were provided to a third party and leaked out which isnt great but hardly a massive breach of privacy

5. No haven't got a smart speaker or anything like that. I can't see the benefits in buying one to be honest.

6. James

James Striker

They're class to be fair. If Google or amazon want to hear me and our lass chat rubbish they can get stuck in.

Ginger John and Sebastien like this.
  7. Goat Eyes

Goat Eyes Striker

What about the murders though?

8. That's why I never got a butler

DaveH likes this.
  9. johnnyat87

johnnyat87 Winger

I don't get the need or point of the AI/voice activated stuff like.

Happy enough with a smartphone app - and nee-one is spying on me. Well, not as obviously anyway :lol:

10. Wild Card

Wild Card Goalkeeper

I often get notifications from my phone saying that certain applications have been switching on the microphone.

11. DaveH

DaveH Striker

I looked at google assistant on my phone to change tracks on spotify when I'm washing up, then I don't have to dry my hands. It was a pain to get set up and didn't seem to integrate so I turned it all off again. Towels are easier and more secure.

12. silas80

silas80 Winger

Think I'm in the huge minority where I find all these smart assistants gimmicky as fuck. I'll stick to turning my own music and lights on.

addicted_to_safc and johnnyat87 like this.
  13. johnnyat87

johnnyat87 Winger

I'm with you mate. Gimmicky, largely pointless and creepy.

addicted_to_safc and silas80 like this.
  14. parm

parm Winger

you are paying to be spied on

15. Roger

Roger The Gaffer Staff Member

well there’s a surprise

You do realise that this is built into your phone by default?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  16. Not had notifications but it might be spying.

I regularly have conversations with the dog at home. All the woofs and whooooos will confuse the hell out of Google :lol:

Wild Card likes this.
  17. Mackemansj1

Mackemansj1 Striker

This, your naive to think otherwise, if your doing nowt wrong then fuck it listen to me order a pizza shout at the tv and dog.

18. Was it the tax reference or the swear words in my deleted post that fell foul of Google AdSense?

19. My Samsung TV has the capability if you enable the voice activation function but at least they warn you about it. I suspect it's in Sky Q as well.

20. GK

GK Striker Contributor

These recordings were from phones afaik. Your phone has a virtual assistant and records you.