Google Stadia

So that's 1080p gaming for FREE on just about any computer. As long as you buy the game from their stores. Interesting.

Valve might be shitting bricks here.
Don't even need a computer (in the old sense)- my telly can probably meet the criteria.

Am I right in thinking you can just buy Football Manager through Stadia and play it through Chrome? You don't need any other subscriptions or anything, just the cost of the game?

Don't really understand this.

What would be the advantage of getting this over say a ps4?
You can run PC games in FULL quality without needing a gaming PC. The Google servers do all of the rendering and processing, and stream the output to your machine.

You can run PC games in FULL quality without needing a gaming PC. The Google servers do all of the rendering and processing, and stream the output to your machine.

but you have to fork out for the stadia and then a monthly subscription?

Is the Stadia a piece of kit? I thought it would just be an application.
Stadia is software that runs inside of Chrome or via an Android app.

IIRC at launch, if you want to play it on your telly, you'll need the Stadia controller & Chromecast Ultra bundle that they've been selling for £120. From what i've read, they'll be dropping these requirements as they build the service up over the next year. If you want to play on your PC then any controller will work from the off.
It sounds a lot like they need a base of players to use the service live and work out the kinks. I reckon it'll take off this time next year, when everything works properly.

Last edited:
As well as the input latency and the bandwidth requirements. After using GeForce Now sparingly it's a piece of shit compared to local hardware.

Stadia will be dead within 2 years imo.
Well, that's the crux isn't it. People have tried before, and that lag you speak of is the elephant in the room.

Now, for games that don't require fast reactions (Civ, FM) that's fine. Otherwise it remains to be seen. Although in the new age of fibre connectivity, it might just work - or at least, be worth it compared to spending a grand on a gaming PC

I doubt it would have gotten as far as it has if these were major issues.

Disagree, Google have absolutely boatloads of cash and are well known for killing products if they don't develop the way they are projected to. Stadia will be no different.

This month they have abandoned Daydream VR. Anyone else remember Google Glasses?

Back