Good Visibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

2310 Return

I was out on the River Mersey today taking some photographs and video footage around the pier head.

The BBC weather forecast had suggested that the visibility at the time of my visit would be "good" improving from its earlier "moderate" however what I actually saw was pretty mediocre visibility - with anything appearing pretty hazy even a medium distance away.

Does anyone know either how to accurately predict relative visibility or has awareness of a website which can do this, please? The shots I have are pretty poor. I'm sure I can improve the RGB levels in PS / LR - but the video footage is pretty useless. This isn't the first time I've come across this.

I know that atmospheric conditions can have an impact - and also pollution levels. Anything else which can impact - and if so ways of being able to predict?

Thanks very much in advance..

Cheers

Joe

Met office the most reliable site, but I've never really found a good predictor of it, they are more concerned with cloud cover etc

I've just been up dale and the visibility was so bad it was good, Penn Hill shrouded in mist

Obv, your best shots tend to be towards the sun in these conditions

Yes, it wasn't great around the Mersey today and the white overcast sky doesn't help much.

Moderate does actually mean pretty mediocre - 'Very Good' and 'Excellent' are what they call decent visibility.

Its generally a function of temperature and humidity but the clearest conditions are generally after a cold front has gone through and the rain has also cleared all the pollution out of the air - then you'll be complaining the low sun is making your shadows too harsh ;)

Thanks very much for your replies Gents.

I agree that "terrible" weather can look great - but sometimes (as yesterday) - just want to catch a clear shot of a great scene (ie the Liverpool waterfront from the water.)

The weather reports (inc provided data) do seem to be obsessed with % cloud cover, % chance of rain and a rating for relative humidity - but haven't been able to find anywhere on the net that describes the relationship between them that will result in relatively clear skies.

Also - no-one seems to provide an expected rating for expected particulate pollution.

It was pretty breezy on the Mersey - and perhaps there was the additional issue of water particles (fine spray) combining to obstruct vision.

Thanks also for the suggestion of waiting for a cold front to go through / time period following rain - that's a useful criteria to watch out for. I'll try that next to see if it makes a difference.

i always blame merseyside when loads of smog comes over the dales ;)

I hid behind a post and pretended I couldn't see anything. It worked, I never saw our defence once!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back