Good Omens

I quite liked the discussion near the start of the first episode between the three demons.

Demon One: "I've corrupted a priest, he has started having ungodly thoughts... he'll be ours in ten years"

Demon Two: "I've corrupted a british politician, he has started small bribes... he'll be ours in one year"

Demon Three (Tennant): "Well, I completely cut mobile reception for the greater London area...."

I think the phrase is “gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide”.

Edit: sorry, thought you were talking about Aziraphale.

It's such a quotable book:

"Crowley had been extremely impressed with the warranties offered by the computer industry, and had in fact sent a bundle Below to the department that drew up the Immortal Soul agreements, with a yellow memo form attached just saying: 'Learn, guys...' "

"Shadwell hated all southerners and, by inference, was standing at the North Pole."

"Human beings mostly aren't evil. They just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and and playing guitar at people. Offer people a new creed with a costume and their hearts and minds will follow."

I've started now

When most people said "I'm psychic, you see," they meant "I have an overactive but unoriginal imagination/wear black nail varnish/talk to my budgie;" when Anathema said it, it sounded as though she was admitting to a hereditary disease which she'd much prefer not to have.

Neither Heaven nor Hell claimed any responsibility for Milton Keynes, but both reported it as a success.

Admittedly he was listening to a Best of Queen tape, but no conclusions should be drawn from this because all tapes left in a car for more than about a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums.

No one paid any attention to them. Perhaps they saw nothing at all. Perhaps they saw what their minds were instructed to see, because the human brain is not equipped to see War, Famine, Pollution, and Death when they don't want to be seen, and has got so good at it that it often manages not to see them even when they abound on every side.

Well, Hell was worse, of course, by definition. But Crowley remembered what Heaven was like, and it had quite a few things in common with Hell. You couldn’t get a decent drink in either of them, for a start. And the boredom you got in Heaven was almost as bad as the excitement you got in Hell.

You won't enjoy it," sighed Crowley. "It's been in the car for more than a fortnight." A heavy bass beat began to thump through the Bentley as they sped past Heathrow. Aziraphale's brow furrowed. "I don't recognize this," he said. "What is it?" "It's Tchaikovsky's 'Another One Bites the Dust'," said Crowley, closing his eyes as they went through Slough. To while away the time as they crossed the sleeping Chilterns, they also listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions" and Beethoven's "I Want To Break Free." Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams's "Fat-Bottomed Girls.

Last edited:
My only disappointment with it was the lack of the four more bikers of the apocalypse.
Superb, loved it.

Ashamed to say I'd never read the book.
I wondered how it would cone across if you’ve never read it, because there are a lot of in jokes. Glad it came across well. Read the book, it’s brilliant and a lot of the humour is in the narrative, which you can’t really get across in a tv show.

Back