Good news for school children.

In the grand scheme of things that probably wouldn't buy a car porch in Mayfair.

It’s shocking how poor some of the home learning is that schools are providing for primary school children. Especially the older ones. Last school year I understood it all came as a bit of a surprise but there’s no excuse for it this school year. There’s been plenty of time to prepare. A few sums and spellings emailed each day simply isn’t good enough.

Have you read the article?

To my knowledge colleges and universities are not in any restrictions. Funding as always been about bums on seats and retention. But like I say 300K is a drop in the ocean when you look at the education system spending more on the hangers on of the new academies as well as colleges and universities.

To my knowledge colleges and universities are not in any restrictions. Funding as always been about bums on seats and retention. But like I say 300K is a drop in the ocean when you look at the education system spending more on the hangers on of the new academies as well as colleges and universities.

I think your missing the point if this helps children that need support in these difficult times then it's got to be a good thing.

It’s shocking how poor some of the home learning is that schools are providing for primary school children. Especially the older ones. Last school year I understood it all came as a bit of a surprise but there’s no excuse for it this school year. There’s been plenty of time to prepare. A few sums and spellings emailed each day simply isn’t good enough.
I disagree.

The schools I’ve seen providing home learning stuff via teams etc is tremendous.

In response to the op it’s very much money mind for all the schools that will want it

I disagree.

The schools I’ve seen providing home learning stuff via teams etc is tremendous.

In response to the op it’s very much money mind for all the schools that will want it

Shock in teacher defending teachers. However what I’ve seen is crap. But as I’ve clearly said ‘some’ you can’t disagree as you haven’t seen it all have you? Just accept that some stuff isn’t good enough. I’m aware of some wonderful stuff going on. But what I’ve experienced has been crap.

Pioneering scheme for University staff juggling work with isolating children.

Experts at Sunderland University are proving a lifeline to staff and students after devising an innovative way of supporting them if their children are sent home from school.

Since the start of term, many parents have found themselves struggling to keep working in the event of children having to isolate as classrooms across the country try to control infection rates.

Professor Patten said: “When my son, Adam, was asked to self-isolate just a few days after restarting school in September, as parents we found ourselves juggling home-schooling, parenting and full-time work responsibilities again.

“School supplied work for Adam and my husband and I took turns to help him. He clearly missed the presence of a knowledgeable and supportive teacher who knows the curriculum and also, he was not always able to work independently on some of the planned activities.

“As we juggled work around a home-school day, I wondered if my colleagues in education had ideas for bringing the teacher-presence into the home for parents home-schooling and if our own PGCE students could help out as part of their learning experiences too.”

A scheme was quickly developed that saw the University’s trainee teachers develop their skills, while at the same time supporting the University’s working parents.

Mikeala Morgans, Initial Teacher Training Team Leader, said: “‘This was an excellent opportunity for our fabulous trainees to develop their teaching abilities while delivering sessions online.

“We are living in a world where teaching is taking place using a hybrid model and it will be excellent experience for our trainees to look further into online provision.

“We are the largest provider of Initial Teacher Training in the region and offer 29 Initial Teacher Training programmes across the range of Secondary subjects and Primary phases so are really well placed to give pupils working at home excellent schooling.”

Professor McKenna added: “This project will not only support University staff with home schooling for primary and secondary children during periods of school closures and instances of self-isolating; it will also provide our trainees with opportunities to enhance their CVs and support future employability, provide evidence against the Teachers’ Standards, and will support their upcoming assessments.

“Our trainee teachers are fast becoming experts in delivering remote teaching and learning and these newly developed skills and attributes will be very attractive to schools.

“The programme of delivery for home schooling pupils will cover a range of year groups and key curriculum areas which pupils can sign in to via Microsoft

Shock in teacher defending teachers. However what I’ve seen is crap. But as I’ve clearly said ‘some’ you can’t disagree as you haven’t seen it all have you? Just accept that some stuff isn’t good enough. I’m aware of some wonderful stuff going on. But what I’ve experienced has been crap.
My son goes to a pretty good primary school, but I’d agree, it has mostly been crap (the period of March to July). It highlights the quality and difficult job teachers do.

We were getting weekly worksheets with sets of tasks, Some days he could do the whole days work in under 45 minutes. The very few more complicated things, he needed my time that was dragging me away from work. Sometimes I just could not give that.

If a teacher could deliver an education from a set of worksheets, not needing parental help, that can apply to a mixed ability class, not leaving the lower kids behind while stretching the top of the class, there would be no point to them.

Having got hands on with the teaching this year, the difficulty they had delivering the work made me appreciate what they do in the classroom when they can be hands on.

As a teacher myself I would have to agree with some of what you are saying. However, delivering quality new learning, even with great technology at our disposal, has been very challenging. What would you like to see? Genuinely curious as I feel that a lot of parents assume we can just switch on a computer and recreate a classroom environment in a child's living room.

As a teacher myself I would have to agree with some of what you are saying. However, delivering quality new learning, even with great technology at our disposal, has been very challenging. What would you like to see? Genuinely curious as I feel that a lot of parents assume we can just switch on a computer and recreate a classroom environment in a child's living room.

Contact with the kids for a start. Start the day with a call via zoom, teams or good old fashioned telephone. Talk them through the work, let the kids do the work and then check back in with them a few hours later to mark it and take them through their learnings. Repeat the process in the afternoon. Teachers calls could be done in groups to make it viable.
My son goes to a pretty good primary school, but I’d agree, it has mostly been crap (the period of March to July). It highlights the quality and difficult job teachers do.

We were getting weekly worksheets with sets of tasks, Some days he could do the whole days work in under 45 minutes. The very few more complicated things, he needed my time that was dragging me away from work. Sometimes I just could not give that.

If a teacher could deliver an education from a set of worksheets, not needing parental help, that can apply to a mixed ability class, not leaving the lower kids behind while stretching the top of the class, there would be no point to them.

Having got hands on with the teaching this year, the difficulty they had delivering the work made me appreciate what they do in the classroom when they can be hands on.

This is exactly the experience I’m having. My kids go to a good school and I expect more. I even contacted the school and asked for more work as they were finishing it every day within an hour. Their response was that I should go online and download some more work from them. No ive got a business to run from home and YOURE the teachers not me ffs. I don’t know what they should or shouldn’t be learning. Really disappointed in my school. Appreciate that some schools out there are doing a fantastic job but sadly not the case for us.

Last edited:
Contact with the kids for a start. Start the day with a call via zoom, teams or good old fashioned telephone. Talk them through the work, let the kids do the work and then check back in with them a few hours later to mark it and take them through their learnings. Repeat the process in the afternoon. Teachers calls could be done in groups to make it viable.

This is exactly the experience I’m having. My kids go to a good school and I expect more. I even contacted the school and asked for more work as they were finishing it every day within an hour. Their response was that I should go online and download some more work from them. No ive got a business to run from home and YOURE the teachers not me ffs. I don’t know what they should or shouldn’t be learning. Really disappointed in my school. Appreciate that some schools out there are doing a fantastic job but sadly not the case for us.
Agreed and I know this is what we will be doing in the event of another shut down. My class had to isolate a few weeks ago and if I'm honest I've never worked so hard. However, only 4 children out of 22 engaged with the home learning. We are doing our best but we need engagement at home too. I challenged the parents and basically caused a shit storm from a few who accused me of messing with their kids' mental health but these are the same kids who I know were playing at each others' houses when they shouldn't have been out at all.. My own children were also isolating and needed looking after. Tricky times. I think having an open dialogue with the school is the best way around it and the school would appreciate it. Very easy to just say 'you're the teachers'. We are indeed the teachers. Teachers who have years of training and experience in face to face learning in a classroom environment and we're bloody good at it.

Agreed and I know this is what we will be doing in the event of another shut down. My class had to isolate a few weeks ago and if I'm honest I've never worked so hard. However, only 4 children out of 22 engaged with the home learning. We are doing our best but we need engagement at home too. I challenged the parents and basically caused a shit storm from a few who accused me of messing with their kids' mental health but these are the same kids who I know were playing at each others' houses when they shouldn't have been out at all.. My own children were also isolating and needed looking after. Tricky times. I think having an open dialogue with the school is the best way around it and the school would appreciate it. Very easy to just say 'you're the teachers'. We are indeed the teachers. Teachers who have years of training and experience in face to face learning in a classroom environment and we're bloody good at it.

You sound like exactly the sort of teacher I’d love my kids to have at the moment so fair play to you and thank you for all you do. I’d certainly be one of the parents who would make sure my kids interacted. I’m also acutely aware many parents simply aren’t arsed. Teaching is an amazing vocation in life (deliberately not referenced as a job) which I think has been undervalued and under paid for far too long by all political parties. As a minimum older primary school kids should be getting daily contact from the teachers during class specific lockdowns. Especially those in year 6 with SATs coming up. It’s vital this year that one of my kids is pushed as I want them in the top set at secondary school next year so they are continually pushed to achieve. I’ve got naturally bright kids but my lad needs to be pushed as he knows he can get away with bare minimum and still get it right and good marks etc.
Out of interest, if you’re a primary school teacher. Do you think they’ll do SATs this year?

You sound like exactly the sort of teacher I’d love my kids to have at the moment so fair play to you and thank you for all you do. I’d certainly be one of the parents who would make sure my kids interacted. I’m also acutely aware many parents simply aren’t arsed. Teaching is an amazing vocation in life (deliberately not referenced as a job) which I think has been undervalued and under paid for far too long by all political parties. As a minimum older primary school kids should be getting daily contact from the teachers during class specific lockdowns. Especially those in year 6 with SATs coming up. It’s vital this year that one of my kids is pushed as I want them in the top set at secondary school next year so they are continually pushed to achieve. I’ve got naturally bright kids but my lad needs to be pushed as he knows he can get away with bare minimum and still get it right and good marks etc.
Out of interest, if you’re a primary school teacher. Do you think they’ll do SATs this year?
If we follow the example of Wales then no. Difficult to say though. I, like a lot of teachers, am not a fan of SATS but it would be a shame for the children to have put up with so much and worked so hard and not have an end goal. A robust assessment system combined with teacher judgement would be as effective, if not more accurate overall, but that's just my opinion and to be honest most schools already have this in place. Obviously that's another discussion though. I think the frustrations as teachers lie heavily in the sense that there is this perception that as soon as schools opened back up to all children, those pupils came back through the gates to 'business as usual'. This is so far from reality. We spend roughly 1/5 of the week washing hands for a start.
I can only speak from personal experience but the erratic attendance of my class has made it virtually impossible to employ an effective 'catch up' curriculum for all of the children although I'd say about half of my class have benefited from it. The ones who will make progress will be the ones who want to and the ones whose parents appreciate that these times require a strong home/school partnership. We did an IT survey across school and found that roughly 50% of the kids had access to their own laptop or tablet. The rest either had nothing or shared with a sibling or just had a phone to access the internet. Very few had printing facilities. As a result we were able to obtain 50 chromebooks from the DfE to loan out until July. We purchased a further 48 from our own IT budget. This has taken since May to arrive and they will be distributed next week. We have rolled out Google Classroom across school and I have to say I'm still all fingers & thumbs with it. I love teaching and the challenges it throws at me but I have to say there are days when I honestly find myself at a complete loss in terms of the criticism I face from ill informed parents regarding home learning provision. Children need to be in school even if just for their own mental well being and social skills. In the event of a shut down will most schools do their best to high quality provide home learning? Yes
Will it be high quality? I'd have to say there'll be inconsistencies there but we are all doing what we can so please bear with us.

Exactly these are unprecedented times we live in.

Teachers are under a lot of pressure whilst facing difficult challenges and their efforts can be undervalued by some people.

Not sure how much I can add, as everything chilli kebab has said is spot on as far as I'm concerned. The problem with starting every day with a zoom call is that for every parent who wants that to happen, you have a parent who thinks it's a ridiculous expectation, or an unrealistic one. You also have the parents and children who can't access the internet or a computer, certainly at specific times of the day, and then what do you do? It becomes a minefield, and you end up sending home packs out, and either they don't go done, they're half arsed or they're done far too late. By which time you've moved onto something else with the other children. Telephone calls are unrealistic when there are so many children.

I'm a Year 6 teacher (so important in terms of SATs and transitions etc) yet I've only got just over half my class signed up to Seesaw this year. As for SATs, we're very much preparing as though they'll take place as usual.

Not sure how much I can add, as everything chilli kebab has said is spot on as far as I'm concerned. The problem with starting every day with a zoom call is that for every parent who wants that to happen, you have a parent who thinks it's a ridiculous expectation, or an unrealistic one. You also have the parents and children who can't access the internet or a computer, certainly at specific times of the day, and then what do you do? It becomes a minefield, and you end up sending home packs out, and either they don't go done, they're half arsed or they're done far too late. By which time you've moved onto something else with the other children. Telephone calls are unrealistic when there are so many children.

I'm a Year 6 teacher (so important in terms of SATs and transitions etc) yet I've only got just over half my class signed up to Seesaw this year. As for SATs, we're very much preparing as though they'll take place as usual.

Ah the old penalise the many because of the few !

Back