Good local bowlers from years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Wilkinson used to bowl serious wheels!!

Wilkinson was the only local bowler I was genuinely scared of, and he must have been in his mid-late 40s when I played against him. Never faced anyone who could swing the ball at that pace. Made me realise how big the gap was between someone enjoying a game on a Saturday pm and a serious cricketer.

Wilkinson was the only local bowler I was genuinely scared of, and he must have been in his mid-late 40s when I played against him. Never faced anyone who could swing the ball at that pace. Made me realise how big the gap was between someone enjoying a game on a Saturday pm and a serious cricketer.
By all accounts he had a load of offers from first class counties but had a good job in the civil service.

I remember as a young un watching Wilki bowl for Phili in the days when they were the team to beat in the DSL (late 1970s) and he was seriously fast even then.

I bumped into him years later in Consett and didnt recognise him without his hairpiece...not that I mentioned it you understand!:eek:

I remember as a young un watching Wilki bowl for Phili in the days when they were the team to beat in the DSL (late 1970s) and he was seriously fast even then.

I bumped into him years later in Consett and didnt recognise him without his hairpiece...not that I mentioned it you understand!:eek:

LOL! I remember a rumour going round that Wilki wore a wig. One Saturday afternoon a few lads went to watch GFCC v. Phili and after a good sup started taking the piss out of Wilki and his alleged wig. One batsman ended up in hospital, although it was a top edge into his chin rather than a direct hit. No helmets in those days though. Chewed nails spat rust.

Some other quicks from that era: Alex Johnson (Whitburn), Derek Leslie (Seaham) Stuart Young (?).

Alex Johnson at Whitburn was the fastest I faced. Only in cup ties cos I played for Dawdon. Knew Derek Leslie every well - good bloke and fast.

As a kid I remember watching Ken Biddulph bowl Dawdon out for Sunderland up the Drive. He was nippy.

Some vicious buggers in the NEDL over the years. Bobby Orton at Littletown, Simon Tweedy at Burnhope off 5 paces! David Brown up at the Sabina Park-like Tantobie and my hero Peter Welsh at Belmont, bowling rapid bouncers well into his 50s.

Some vicious buggers in the NEDL over the years. Bobby Orton at Littletown, Simon Tweedy at Burnhope off 5 paces! David Brown up at the Sabina Park-like Tantobie and my hero Peter Welsh at Belmont, bowling rapid bouncers well into his 50s.

Browny was a really decent bowler but never what I would call quick. I got twatted in the bollocks off Dennison Thomas at South Moor I didn't think he was that quick either but my bollocks did.

Browny was a really decent bowler but never what I would call quick. I got twatted in the bollocks off Dennison Thomas at South Moor I didn't think he was that quick either but my bollocks did.

I faced Dennison a few times. Very much depended on his mood how fast he bowled. First time I played against him I was 15 and came off after making a few thinking senior cricket was a piece of piss. Played him in the return game and didnt sleep for a fortnight he bowled that fast.

Was Browny the lad that played at Tantobie & Beamish? If so, he wasn't rapid, but he could swing the ball too which made him even harder to play.

What about the lad from Whiteleas a couple of years ago when they were still in the NEDCL....Fraser? Think my off pole is still cartwheeling down Whiteleas Way.

Peter Welsh at Belmont,
Certain he was one of my History teachers.

Dennison Thomas
I once played against him in a cup tie. Played a lovely square cut for four and as I jogged past him told him there was no bounce in the wicket.

Never even smelt the next couple of overs.

Edit: Keith Chapman was one of the quickest local lads I can remember facing.

Last edited:

Class and a good old mate of mine Bobby

Keith Chapman by far the quickest in 80s 90s.

Keith Trotter brilliant bowler.

Ian Conn

Calvin Stephenson too.

Chapman fastest I ever played against

Wes Thomas was sharp as owt on his day. Micky Urwin on his day was very good. Not lightning quick but sharp enough and everything was short and aggressive.

Certain he was one of my History teachers.

He would have been, aye, at Pennywell. You may have been on the end of his favourite line 'history has a habit of repeating itself because none of you lot were listening the first time'.

I once played against him in a cup tie. Played a lovely square cut for four and as I jogged past him told him there was no bounce in the wicket.

Never even smelt the next couple of overs.

Edit: Keith Chapman was one of the quickest local lads I can remember facing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back