Golf 2021

Your best bet is to get onto a get into golf scheme when they start up at a local course to you
Yeh our council done an indoor one for next to nowt, was years back. Videoed youhitting ping pong balls n discussed yer swing etc.

personally id just get even 3 lessons at cocken lodge then start hacking about from there.
Putting youl just pick up.

personally id just get even 3 lessons at cocken lodge then start hacking about from there.
Putting youl just pick up.
This is what I should have done when I started playing again a few years back and is the best advice for a complete beginner. A half decent coach will help you not to develop bad habits that you then have to un-learn later.

Then get out there and hack it around to start getting the feel for the game.

dont think that’s a very good offer at all. There’s far better offers available to all 999 services, not just NHS.

One round a week and after 3pm on a weekend ???? I’d advise anyone who thinks this is for them to look around and get a better deal.
Any examples? Not seen similar in the NE.

Last edited:
Membership offer from Whitburn GC if there are any fellow NHS employees in this group.

OFFER FOR NHS EMPLOYEES

This offer includes:

• One round every week which can be played anytime on a weekday or after 15:00 on Saturdays and Sundays
  • Additional rounds can be purchased for the discounted rate of £10 per round
  • Play in Mid-Week medals; assuming handicap criteria is met
  • Ability to sign in up to 3 guests per member at concessionary rates.
  • Members Card which entitles the Member to 10% discount on bar purchases
The following terms and conditions will apply:

• Available to any gender and age group that work directly for an NHS body (pay slip required as proof)
  • One round per week (Monday – Sunday), additional rounds can be purchased for £10 per round
  • Tee times to be booked by telephoning the Pro Shop or using the BRS system
  • The number of memberships will be limited based on popularity
  • The cost will be £200 per person which includes Durham County affiliation fee, payable to Whitburn Golf Club through covering the period from 1 April 2021 to 31 December 2021.
  • This offer is only open to serving NHS employees
How to Join:

Contact Whitburn Golf Club on 0191 529 2177 or email [email protected]
That sounds a decent deal to me if you want to play a game very now and then with some mates.

George Washington is £140 and it’s a full membership. Any emergency services, not just NHS (which is a piss take really). Play anytime and as often as you like. Can enter comps etc. There’s a few more clubs do exactly the same deal across the region.

Also the Play More golf deals will be low points if you play after 3pm on a weekend so again worth looking at them.

youve not looked then 😉

How do you learn to play golf as a complete beginner? Driving range for giving them a good whack but like putting and that?
Go to pitch and puts as well as the range
I know there is in 1 in Whitley Bay and I'd presume there will be on in Sunderland

George Washington is £140 and it’s a full membership. Any emergency services, not just NHS (which is a piss take really). Play anytime and as often as you like. Can enter comps etc. There’s a few more clubs do exactly the same deal across the region.

Also the Play More golf deals will be low points if you play after 3pm on a weekend so again worth looking at them.

youve not looked then 😉
Someone on said deal got fucked over there a few pages back however.
Throston shut today so tried Brancepeth Castle. Wow. Fecking brilliant!!!

Last edited:
Someone on said deal got fucked over there a few pages back however.
Throston shut today so tried Brancepeth Castle. Wow. Fecking brilliant!!!

brancepeth is a great course playing in the open there on Monday

was at barnard castle on Saturday another fantastic course imo was in great Nick

Yep, love Brancepath, especially the par 3s
Some lad reckoned the one near the castle was named top 10 uk par 3. 210 yards n I was 2m off the pin. Only decent fecking shot of the day like!:oops:

5 balls in the river below. They dont play with cheap ones there!;)

About £550 membership for under 30s.cracking that! Sadly im neither local or near 30.

Some lad reckoned the one near the castle was named top 10 uk par 3. 210 yards n I was 2m off the pin. Only decent fecking shot of the day like!:oops:

5 balls in the river below. They dont play with cheap ones there!;)

About £550 membership for under 30s.cracking that! Sadly im neither local or near 30.
The 9th is actually rated one of the most tricky in the world. Peter Alliss said it would be part of his perfect 18 holes. It’s a bitch but lovely to play, I’ve parred it on my last two rounds so I’m currently friends with it. I actually find the 10th more of a headscrew.

It’s a lovely course to be a member of, very challenging but rewarding too, would recommend anyone looking for somewhere to join to check it out, lovely little driving range now as well that doesn’t get too busy.

This is a f***ing stupid game. Another 9 holes tonight, played much better but 2 card wreckers put me on the exact same score as last week when it felt like I barely made proper contact with anything :evil:

The new bats are feeling much better to hit now that I'm getting used to them, so hopefully a bit more consistency isn't too far away.

How do you learn to play golf as a complete beginner? Driving range for giving them a good whack but like putting and that?
As a very new played - picked a club up in June last year as there was nowt to do - I would recommend going to the range a few times then playing a learner course like Cocken Lodge - most holes are < 150 yards so if you biff it on the ground you're normally most of the way there anyway - then get a couple of lessons to try and get some fundamentals in. I play with lads that have played for years and I'm still completely crap but tonight I beat him on a big boys course at Birtley. He was f***ing furious...I carded my best of 104 (I know, I know but I've only played 10x on a proper course so far). Once you get into it then its ace and equally infuriating but a great way to catch up with mates and take the piss.

Midweek medal at Whitburn in the morning. Hoping to not finish in last place. The new WHS has cut me from 14.1 to 4.4 after 1 round at Newbiggin at the end of last year where I shot a 79 (+7). Bit of a severe chop as that was only my 2nd ever competitive score. Don't expect much tomorrow but at least it should help get me back to a more realistic handicap.

As a very new played - picked a club up in June last year as there was nowt to do - I would recommend going to the range a few times then playing a learner course like Cocken Lodge - most holes are < 150 yards so if you biff it on the ground you're normally most of the way there anyway - then get a couple of lessons to try and get some fundamentals in. I play with lads that have played for years and I'm still completely crap but tonight I beat him on a big boys course at Birtley. He was f***ing furious...I carded my best of 104 (I know, I know but I've only played 10x on a proper course so far). Once you get into it then its ace and equally infuriating but a great way to catch up with mates and take the piss.
That's a good start Flip :)

This guy has started a youtube channel recently worth a follow he has a new golfer and is helping show how to attempt to get to mid handicap status

Give him a watch and a follow you might even win a Scotty Cameron on Friday.

Last edited:
got my first lesson this afternoon after a few attempts at the driving range which were infuriating as would hit it fine thinking I'd figured out how to swing the club properly then would go to just swinging and missing the ball over and over :lol:

hoping something clicks today. i mean i only want to make contact with the ball each time i don't really care where it goes at this stage

Back