Golf 2021

To cut down on the Seve shots and learn to take my medicine. Also, not thrilled about my handicap but instead of trying to shoot 3 or 4 over, use the handicap to my advantage and get it down, slowly but surely.

Member at Castle Eden so hoping it will be open again this side of March. Currently off 8.9, hoping to be down to 7 by the end of the year.
Any idea if there is a waiting list for membership at castle eden? I usually play my golf at sharpley and wouldn't mind a change of course, I've heard good things about castle eden. Obviously Id try the course a few times before committing to a membership?

Used to be off 8 but had a serious back injury which meant I didn’t swing a club for over 5 years. Been playing properly again for around 18 month. Now off 12 but hoping to get back to single figures by the end of the season.
Just moved back home after 25 years in Scotland and I have joined Consett Golf Club. Also have Country Membership at Penrith.
Exactly the same as me mate, hopefully I've got the back problems behind me now & i can enjoy the best game around :cool:

What's seaham like? I considered a membership there or just a few rounds as they had a deal on few months back but still haven't played it yet

Has its pros and cons.

They struggled a bit this year to get the course in top notch condition but lockdown hasn't helped them. Normally the greens are spot on so hoping we get back to that again this year.
Biggest area of concern for me has been drainage around certain areas, been a few occasions from September onwardswhere you lose balls on the fairways as they are so soft and get plugged.

Biggest pro for me is they way the club is ran. It's a proper golf club for the members. They way they have handled bookings during the pandemic was brilliant and looks like they will be taking that forward in the future.
There is always competitions on both Saturday and Sunday. Captain's card on Wednesday too if that takes your fancy.
Clubhouse has just been refurbished and looks really good, just a shame we can't get a pint yet!
They also have a golf simulator room built into the clubhouse.

I was a member here about 10 years ago and just came back after spells at Woodham and Ramside.
You couldn't pay me to go back to Ramside again as a member, it's just not a member's club as far as I'm concerned.

Options I'm looking at for other clubs are Hartlepool and Houghton but in all honesty I'm 90% sure I'll stay at Seaham.

If you fancy a knock when the weather improves just give me a shout

Any idea if there is a waiting list for membership at castle eden? I usually play my golf at sharpley and wouldn't mind a change of course, I've heard good things about castle eden. Obviously Id try the course a few times before committing to a membership?
As far as I know there’s not, or there might technically be one but imagine there’s a few on the waiting list that have not taken up the chance to join.
They “temporarily suspended” the joining fee a couple of years back which has meant there was a big intake.
Need to be shit hot nowadays to get your name down for a decent tee time on a weekend with the shorter days.
looking forward to see how the new green keeper will help it get back to something like it’s best over the next few years.

Only just started in October so don't have a handicap but would estimate about 28-30 at the moment.

Hoping to get into the teens.
Snap I only started in the summer as there was fuck all else to do, my mates have been playing years so I get murdered every game. If you want a handicap get MOGC app (My online golfclub app) you put your scores in and it works it out for you. I currently go round in about 120 and intend to break a hundred this year. Got lessons for Xmas to hopefully get some consistency.

Snap I only started in the summer as there was fuck all else to do, my mates have been playing years so I get murdered every game. If you want a handicap get MOGC app (My online golfclub app) you put your scores in and it works it out for you. I currently go round in about 120 and intend to break a hundred this year. Got lessons for Xmas to hopefully get some consistency.

Lessons are absolutely fantastic and a must for anyone just starting out. I first played when I was 11. The amount of bad habits I had accumulated over the coming 24 years (on and off) was unreal. Wish I got them sooner

Member at Ramside - for all it's bad points, the price is unbelievable value for 2 courses. Also corporate at Ponteland.

Considered changing when renewal is up this May, but now they are sorting the drainage on the Prince Bishops I'll end up staying (and I've figured out how to get the early tee times on the online booking page :cool:)

Looking to shave 3 off me handicap.

Having the vibration of ball contact ricochet up through the club into your freezing cold hands is the absolute worst
Woah what's this secret for booking early tee times?

Memeber of ramside as well, play off 16.5 thanks to the new system, so will be happy to keep that this year.

Hoping to get away at least once this year, although looking doubtful.

Woah what's this secret for booking early tee times?

Memeber of ramside as well, play off 16.5 thanks to the new system, so will be happy to keep that this year.

Hoping to get away at least once this year, although looking doubtful.

Ya know how the tee times are released 2 weeks in advance? Say it's a Friday night and you are looking at a Saturday in 2 weeks time - you have to stay up till midnight, this is when the tee times are released. You have to be quick though, they go like shit off a shovel. I got the first tee on the PB on the 16th of this month. I went back on 10 minutes later, and the day was booked out already

:lol: f***ing hell ramside is getting some grief in this thread and rightly so like. I can actually see it becoming a big issue this year.

Booking a comp place is a disgrace and the reservation list is always about 20 plus. I wish the director of golf would fuck off, but no chance of that happening.
Ya know how the tee times are released 2 weeks in advance? Say it's a Friday night and you are looking at a Saturday in 2 weeks time - you have to stay up till midnight, this is when the tee times are released. You have to be quick though, they go like shit off a shovel. I got the first tee on the PB on the 16th of this month. I went back on 10 minutes later, and the day was booked out already
Fuck that, was hoping some secret log in page or something.

Very similar to booking a comp. Comes out at 7am, if you don't log in then ya fucked. Tee times go within 10 minutes. I've woken up a few times at say 5am unable to get back to sleep thinking about the alarm going off and getting a tee time.

Last edited:
:lol: f***ing hell ramside is getting some grief in this thread and rightly so like. I can actually see it becoming a big issue this year.

Booking a comp place is a disgrace and the reservation list is always about 20 plus. I wish the director of golf would fuck off, but no chance of that happening.

Very similar to booking a comp. Comes out at 7am, if you don't log in then ya fucked. Tee times go within 10 minutes. I've woken up a few times at say 5am unable to get back to sleep thinking about the alarm going off and getting a tee time.
The message here is go and play your golf somewhere that they appreciate your membership.

Crazy ain't it 😂

I'm not happy with the place at the moment like, but it's just too convenient for me to have a membership here

Just bought some mizuno 919 hot metal irons from clubhouse golf, not too sure if to keep them yet. I might return them and get some properly fitted. Dont think I'm good enough to be playing with forged irons yet mind, so they should be OK.
Im also hoping to get a membership somewhere this year too. I didnt play much last year, as I was too focused on cycling but this year I'm hoping to do both!

Last edited:
Just bought some mizuno 919 hot metal irons from clubhouse golf, not too sure if to keep them yet. I might return them and get some properly fitted. Dont think I'm good enough to be playing with forged irons yet mind, so they should be OK.
Im also hoping to get a membership somewhere this year too. Didnt play much last year, as I was too focused on cycling but this year I'm hoping to do both!

You can do it!

Logon or register to see this image

Cheers. Golf game book is good for tracking your scores and gives you stats on whether you're hitting left/right, number of putts etc., and also average score.

I was reading your handicap should be about 3 strokes below your average so using that as a proxy.

The message here is go and play your golf somewhere that they appreciate your membership.
It is mate, but 2 things are keeping me there. The 3 lads I mainly play with are keen to stay as it is very convenient for them, as it is me. Plus a few other people I have met over the years, although some are moving on. Also after a round I sometimes enjoy a few drinks in the clubhouse chatting to different members I have met over the years and I can walk home.

I am hoping they have began to recognise their problems and try and solve them (improving the drainage).

In the meantime I will just twist like hell about them on here.

It’s like that at our place as well mate.
Our BRS for 2 weeks time opened at 8pm last night.
I kid you not, within 2 minutes there were no free tee times.

My mate is a member at Houghton and they are doing 2 tee starts to allow enough people to book on.

It’s like that at our place as well mate.
Our BRS for 2 weeks time opened at 8pm last night.
I kid you not, within 2 minutes there were no free tee times.

My mate is a member at Houghton and they are doing 2 tee starts to allow enough people to book on.
What tee time intervals are they using\/

Back