Golf 2021

Went to play Dunstanburgh today as got a winter membership there. Snowed on the way up and they closed the course. 😞

Member at Ramside - for all it's bad points, the price is unbelievable value for 2 courses. Also corporate at Ponteland.

Considered changing when renewal is up this May, but now they are sorting the drainage on the Prince Bishops I'll end up staying (and I've figured out how to get the early tee times on the online booking page :cool:)

Looking to shave 3 off me handicap.

Having the vibration of ball contact ricochet up through the club into your freezing cold hands is the absolute worst
There’s quite a few of us leaving Ramside with a few already gone. We used to use the same two course argument. The new course has never been right and doesn’t have a single theme/identity. The bunker refurb on PB was supposed to be complete years ago and is still ongoing with more GUR than in play now. The drainage is shocking now and it has gone from the driest course in the area to one of the worst. Greens are only decent one week a year now too. And don’t get me started on the treehouses down 18! It’s gone rapidly downhill since they built the new course.

Honestly mate. We’ve played a few opens this year and every time we’ve gone back to play Ramside we’ve been depressed as hell. There’s only been one course in worse condition.

Went to play Dunstanburgh today as got a winter membership there. Snowed on the way up and they closed the course. 😞

There’s quite a few of us leaving Ramside with a few already gone. We used to use the same two course argument. The new course has never been right and doesn’t have a single theme/identity. The bunker refurb on PB was supposed to be complete years ago and is still ongoing with more GUR than in play now. The drainage is shocking now and it has gone from the driest course in the area to one of the worst. Greens are only decent one week a year now too. And don’t get me started on the treehouses down 18! It’s gone rapidly downhill since they built the new course.

Honestly mate. We’ve played a few opens this year and every time we’ve gone back to play Ramside we’ve been depressed as hell. There’s only been one course in worse condition.

I know mate, it's frustrating as hell. The Cathedral is a bit meh for me, prefer the PB but it's gone to absolute rat shit. It's just convenient for me for where I live. It's a toss up between there and Sharpley, but Sharpley has got a massive waiting list now and it isn't reducing anytime soon.

I stayed up past midnight last night to book a decent slot on the PB in 2 Saturdays time. At 12.01 I had the 8.28am slot booked and sorted. I went back on at 12.10 to see what the rest of the slots were like - all booked. Absolutely mental.

I know mate, it's frustrating as hell. The Cathedral is a bit meh for me, prefer the PB but it's gone to absolute rat shit. It's just convenient for me for where I live. It's a toss up between there and Sharpley, but Sharpley has got a massive waiting list now and it isn't reducing anytime soon.

I stayed up past midnight last night to book a decent slot on the PB in 2 Saturdays time. At 12.01 I had the 8.28am slot booked and sorted. I went back on at 12.10 to see what the rest of the slots were like - all booked. Absolutely mental.
We got similar issues mate. Our part of the north east isn’t great for golf that’s for certain. if you think how bad it is to get a tee right now, just wait until societies and hotel guests are back. They’ve taken on too many members this year.

Member at Castle Eden so hoping it will be open again this side of March. Currently off 8.9, hoping to be down to 7 by the end of the year. Had a couple of years of being too busy work wise to consistently get practicing and playing enough to keep the handicap going down but did manage my best 3 rounds ever in the last 4 months of 2020.

off to La Manga for Ryder Cup weekend all things being well which should be good!

Booked in to try a few new drivers next weekend as I’ve got my Christmas pennies burning a hole in my pocket.

Jealous of how cheap it is up north, class courses as well. Decent course in Surrey is £50 a round.

Got Brancepeth castle for just £18 on monday coming!

Mind I was suprised how cheap I got games last year at MK, worcester and maidenhead.

To get at least 52 games in and to get rid of that 1 to 3 holes that mean i score 97-103. Would love to be back in the around 90 or less more often than not. GW with mate tomorrow, Sharpley Thursday on my own (unless you want to join me?).

Heworth and the filly at close house....

if I stick in...get the 3 metal rocking and practice, I’d hope To shoot a few rds in the 70’s, haven’t achieved that for donkeys years.

Rejoined Whitburn again this year.
Currently off 22.4 but would love to get to under 18.
Not consistent enough though to do it I think.
Want , hopefully to get away and play courses further afield when this lockdown eventually ends.

We got similar issues mate. Our part of the north east isn’t great for golf that’s for certain. if you think how bad it is to get a tee right now, just wait until societies and hotel guests are back. They’ve taken on too many members this year.

100%. I said this on the other thread. Society's and stay and plays get tee priorities over members. It's a massive piss take

100%. I said this on the other thread. Society's and stay and plays get tee priorities over members. It's a massive piss take
To be fair as yet I’ve never had an issue with tees at Ramside as I always played in the comps but I understand it been shocking of late. The last comp I booked in was half full somehow at the point it came online which is a bit suspicious. You should try being a winter member at Dunstanburgh though. As great a winter course it is, you are really fighting over the scraps as you’re not a full member so can’t play the Sunday comps and visitors can book well in advance if you. They really shouldn’t be doing winter memberships if there’s no priority or reward for paying up front. It smacks of them wanting their cake.

Sharpley want to be a pay and play course and if anything they have too many members for their model.

Used to be off 8 but had a serious back injury which meant I didn’t swing a club for over 5 years. Been playing properly again for around 18 month. Now off 12 but hoping to get back to single figures by the end of the season.
Just moved back home after 25 years in Scotland and I have joined Consett Golf Club. Also have Country Membership at Penrith.

Member at Seaham but weighing up my options for where to join this year.
Off 13 at the minute hoping to get into single figures.
Just bought a shotscope V3 and once Covid does one I'm thinking of lessons with Zen golf that has been mentioned on here before.
What's seaham like? I considered a membership there or just a few rounds as they had a deal on few months back but still haven't played it yet

Sharpley 100percent more bothered about places available to non members Iv found when visiting there's always tee times for visitors than members. Was speaking to a member before Christmas when I played and he wasn't happy from Xmas until just after New year is all corporate or societies and no members able to play. Found that a strange way to treat the members? But its all about revenue streams...

Last edited:
£840 for Sharpley is way too much imo!
Seaham £640 plus
  • Free golf at Consett, Ravensworth, and Heworth (York)

Last edited:
£840 for Sharpley is way too much imo!
Seaham £640 plus
  • Free golf at Consett, Ravensworth, and Heworth (York)
Sharpley isn’t a members course and the price is reflecting that. They’re not interested in it. That said when the course is kept right it’s a good course.

Sharpley isn’t a members course and the price is reflecting that. They’re not interested in it. That said when the course is kept right it’s a good course.

Was stunned when you told me the price. I like it but all things considered, thats steep.

Throstons poor but £550 iirc. Quite happy travelling about for now.

Back