Golf 2020

Be interesting how Bryson goes at augusta next time out. Not gonna criticise the bloke for developing his physique and golf game but absolutely delighted his comments about augusta being a par 67 for him came back to bite him.
Advice please SMB golfists, a mate took the game up this year. What would be the 'easiest' course to break 100 for him? I haven't played many courses around here, Sharpley, GW, Wearside, Ramside, South Moor and once round Seaham, Boldon and Whitburn. He got 108 at Sharpley and 107 at South Moor so he's very pretty decent for playing 6 months I think. Mount Oswald is gone otherwise would have taken him there.

for only playing 6 months 107 at the Moor is canny as although its short its pretty tight and greens can be tricky.

played prudhoe for the first time recently and I thought you could knock it round there relatively untroubled, and although it is a tight course I've always gone well at Ryton.

Hobson used to be pretty open but years since I've played it and can depend a lot of the wind conditions.

Last edited:

If it’s just about the score , take him to Cocken Lodge .
It’s a good facility there and a good little course and bound to break the ton around it .

He should break a ton as theres only 9 holes!;)
Sharply is a short course, rough is playable mostly. I’m a member there and felt more comfortable playing there than Whitburn for example.
An SMB knock should 100% be organised after lockdown. I could have a word with those up sharply, they love a visitor and could get on as a ‘society’

Im in, hoping to sort a regular midweek smb thing at randon courses too.

Last edited:
Anyone recommend a club to join in the new year, I’m a member at sharply but membership is due to end in January ? Local to Sunderland.

Anyone recommend a club to join in the new year, I’m a member at sharply but membership is due to end in January ? Local to Sunderland.
Price wise, Whitburn and Shields both just under £700, Boldon and Wearside about £750. Whitburn and Shields will be open more as less liable to flooding, member booking is deffo 14 days ahead at Whitburn, think only 5 at Shields. Shields a bit longer, I know from a mate that Whitburn planning to play 16th par 3 from 18th tee area, will be some hole!

Last edited:
Out of interest, why do you want to leave Sharpley? It is a nice course with practice facilities you will struggle to better.
Depends on what you are looking for .

Out of interest, why do you want to leave Sharpley? It is a nice course with practice facilities you will struggle to better.
Depends on what you are looking for .
It’s not a members course, not many comps compared to others, and as someone said they let visitors run a mock, tearing up the course, not repairing the greens. I played through a lad wearing sliders, jean shorts and a vest. When I joined two years ago the course was immaculate and the greens unbelievable. Course not so great now.
do you not fancy trying seaham they have some canny membership deals on at the minute
I’ve played once or twice and it’s a decent course. I’ve not played Houghton-le-Spring so I’m going to before I decide. Whitburn and shields up there for me but just wanted some other opinions of courses before I decide.

Last edited:
Heworth is great mate, very rare you get any arsehoels on the course, strict but not old man committee member type of strict.
course generally flows canny and plenty of competitions.

course was mint this year, you’d expect it after lockdown like. I enjoy the course more than sharpley as nee blind shots But it Is flat.

i was a member of houghton years ago, I simply got sick of the constant wind, would be calm as fuck in washy and I turn up and another bastard hooly , fuck that.

It’s not a members course, not many comps compared to others, and as someone said they let visitors run a mock, tearing up the course, not repairing the greens. I played through a lad wearing sliders, jean shorts and a vest. When I joined two years ago the course was immaculate and the greens unbelievable. Course not so great now.

I’ve played once or twice and it’s a decent course. I’ve not played Houghton-le-Spring so I’m going to before I decide. Whitburn and shields up there for me but just wanted some other opinions of courses before I decide.
seaham has loads of comps over the season on both days of the weekend so you can pick snd choose which comp you want to play in if you only play once over the weekend i think houghton only have comps on the sunday

Heworth is great mate, very rare you get any arsehoels on the course, strict but not old man committee member type of strict.

course was mint this year, you’d expect it after lockdown like. I enjoy the course more than sharpley as nee blind shots But it Is flat.

i was a member of houghton years ago, I simply got sick of the constant wind, would be calm as fuck in washy and I turn up and another bastard hooly , fuck that.

Shields can be like that, leave a calm sunny Fatfield to be met with gusty wind on the course.

I’ll take a look mate, cheers. Aye, it’s the same with Sharply and wind gets in your head sometimes.

Houghton was infantastic nick before lockdown- not sure if they still have capacity for new memebera though. I know a lot of
Clubs are “full” so might be worth checking you the club you want to join has capacity for new members before sacking off your membership at sharpley

seaham has loads of comps over the season on both days of the weekend so you can pick snd choose which comp you want to play in if you only play once over the weekend i think houghton only have comps on the sunday
Cheers bud, I’ll have a look online.
Houghton was infantastic nick before lockdown- not sure if they still have capacity for new memebera though. I know a lot of
Clubs are “full” so might be worth checking you the club you want to join has capacity for new members before sacking off your membership at sharpley
I’ll be sacking it off regardless tbh, I’ve fired a couple messages out to the current clubs I favour

I didn’t know that about Sharpley , thought there would be an active little members club there.

I didn’t know that about Sharpley , thought there would be an active little members club there.
Society’s on a weekend take priority, I think they have one comp on midweek but that’s no good to me.
Society’s on a weekend take priority, I think they have one comp on midweek but that’s no good to me.
Opened up BRS after today’s announcement, already a few society’s and visitors on a weekend, whereas a lot of courses are only accepting members initially while the rush will be on.

Last edited:

Opened up BRS after today’s announcement, already a few society’s and visitors on a weekend, whereas a lot of courses are only accepting members initially while the rush will be on.
Fuck that.

Fuck that.
They also have a shotgun start once in a while, last comp I played had about 6 people in it, similar number for the club championship. They don’t have a club captain or anything. What I will say though that the lasses in on the weekend in the clubhouse or class and make it better than what it is.

Back