Golf 2020

That course looks tremendous.
$750 per round mind, although that includes a return limo to the MGM Grand, that you have to be a guest of, caddie, cart, range balls and a catholic thrap.
Amazing job to build it in the middle of the desert, has a kind of fake look to it though, everything a bit too polished. Still love to have a bash at it mind.

Pal of mine has built a barn with an indoor simulator - its the dogs bollocks. Bar, Corner sofa etc Unfortunately it can record everything when you play.

I played there this week and I have only just realised I have the worst swing ever (never had a lesson), but somehow manage to get back to the ball. I have a fitting for new clubs booked for tonight and I'm already embarrassed/anxious about what they will recommend - f***ing darts probably
Hmmm being talked into buying TaylorMade P790’s with stiff/extra stiff shaft. hit an extra 20 yards over my existing 7iron (Mp33) with a nice flight

Anyone use them? Expensive but I’m really tempted as haven’t bought a brand new set for 20 years
That course looks tremendous.
$750 per round mind, although that includes a return limo to the MGM Grand, that you have to be a guest of, caddie, cart, range balls and a catholic thrap.
I’ve played a few in Vegas - most expensive was Rio Secco - made even more expensive as I went there straight from a 24hr drinking session and left after 3 holes having lost a dozen balls and crashing the buggy into a fence

Last edited:
very inconsistent again for me and im one shitty round away from going back to 27 :oops:

Played in a comp last week and had 15 pts at the turn, then only had 19 points after 15 but then ended par par par to finish with 30 pts.

Played yesterday and got 27pts 10 and 17

Playing today social and then in a par bogey comp tomorrow

I have hammered it this year but consistency is the problem.

shot an 88 a couple of months back but averaging 101. Played 35 rounds since lockdown eased in May.

Hmmm being talked into buying TaylorMade P790’s with stiff/extra stiff shaft. hit an extra 20 yards over my existing 7iron (Mp33) with a nice flight

Anyone use them? Expensive but I’m really tempted as haven’t bought a brand new set for 20 years
Unless you intend playing a lot I’d avoid extra stuff shafts as they will be like swinging an iron bar at the end of a round. As you get older it will also get more difficult to swing clubs with extra stiff shafts. If you are buying such an expensive set of irons getting properly fitted for them is essential.

Unless you intend playing a lot I’d avoid extra stuff shafts as they will be like swinging an iron bar at the end of a round. As you get older it will also get more difficult to swing clubs with extra stiff shafts. If you are buying such an expensive set of irons getting properly fitted for them is essential.

Think I will end up with just stiff - club head spread for 7 iron was 88mph average

very inconsistent again for me and im one shitty round away from going back to 27 :oops:

Played in a comp last week and had 15 pts at the turn, then only had 19 points after 15 but then ended par par par to finish with 30 pts.

Played yesterday and got 27pts 10 and 17

Playing today social and then in a par bogey comp tomorrow

I have hammered it this year but consistency is the problem.

shot an 88 a couple of months back but averaging 101. Played 35 rounds since lockdown eased in May.
Only 35 I'm seriously over 70 rounds since courses were opened.

Think I will end up with just stiff - club head spread for 7 iron was 88mph average
If that was your speed with a stiff shaft, from the little I know it's borderline between regular and stiff. Club fitters know what they are doing and when I had a little assessment they reckoned that a light stiff shaft would be best for me in irons.

If that was your speed with a stiff shaft, from the little I know it's borderline between regular and stiff. Club fitters know what they are doing and when I had a little assessment they reckoned that a light stiff shaft would be best for me in irons.

88 mph borderline regular and stiff? Nee chance more like borderline stiff and x stiff

I’d give my left testicle for a swing speed of 88 with a 7 @Beery could easily get to single figures with that if you even become a semi consistent ball striker

Last edited:

I had a fitting a few weeks back (my irons are 15 year old) and settled on the P790’s after trying 10/12 different sets. Liked the feel when you hit one properly.

Moved my 7 iron up from 150 to 170 on the simulator. Just waiting to pick them up now.

Edit: just checked. Av. club speed was 93.8mph.

Last edited:
Anyone surprised at the lack of big names in the Scottish Open at St Andrews?

the purse is 7x bigger this week on the PGA tour, fair enough, but as a golfer, playing at st andrews in a tournament, surely something you'd want to do?

I dont get it

the purse is 7x bigger this week on the PGA tour, fair enough, but as a golfer, playing at st andrews in a tournament, surely something you'd want to do?

I dont get it
You've answered your own question to a degree with the purse amount in the US. Also, not only is this not the Old Course, but players get to play St. Andrew's each year with the Dunhill Links championship, so it's not as special for them as for most. They'll also get another chance to play there in The Open in 2022.

I dont get it

Nope its a run of the mill European tour event it’s not being played at the old course either the St. Andrews thing is irrelevant

Also factor in that there’s been 2 Rolex Series events in a row so a fair few bigger names will be sitting that out due to probably playing 4 weeks on the bounce... also the likes of Poulter etc are on the cusp of that top 50 for Masters qualifying you’d be an idiot to choose to play in this if you got an invite to start in the CJ cup

I dont get it
It's not at one of the St Andrews Links Trust courses it is taking place at a hotel resort course where calling it St Andrews is stretching things a bit. Two big purses for the Rolex series events on the European Tour for the last two weeks has helped to decimate the field.

It's not at one of the St Andrews Links Trust courses it is taking place at a hotel resort course where calling it St Andrews is stretching things a bit. Two big purses for the Rolex series events on the European Tour for the last two weeks has helped to decimate the field.
It's a new event as well the Scottish open was the other week. Vegas in the sun is more appealing that and £

It's a new event as well the Scottish open was the other week. Vegas in the sun is more appealing that and £
It could be viewed as one of The European Tour 'filler' events as it is the Tour that is providing these £1m ish prize funds to give the rank and file tour players tournaments to play. Apart from the stupid event format in Cyprus coming up The European Tour have done a fantastic job of producing a schedule of events out of very little. Their means of providing a Covid secure environment for the players has been light years better than the PGA Tour.

It could be viewed as one of The European Tour 'filler' events as it is the Tour that is providing these £1m ish prize funds to give the rank and file tour players tournaments to play. Apart from the stupid event format in Cyprus coming up The European Tour have done a fantastic job of producing a schedule of events out of very little. Their means of providing a Covid secure environment for the players has been light years better than the PGA Tour.
I've enjoyed the last few weeks with all the British courses they have played. They have done really well getting them all on. Especially at the time of year.

I had a fitting a few weeks back (my irons are 15 year old) and settled on the P790’s after trying 10/12 different sets. Liked the feel when you hit one properly.

Moved my 7 iron up from 150 to 170 on the simulator. Just waiting to pick them up now.

Edit: just checked. Av. club speed was 93.8mph.
Club pro lent me ping i500 7 iron with same shaft that’s recommended for the 790’s for my round today.

Just find these news clubs so much easier to hit and get a great flight - high and stopping

Going to decide tomorrow but think I will go for the 790’s - £859 for 6 f***ing clubs though 😢

I use them, I bought them as we just came out off lockdown. I haggled with our pro as I assumed they had cash flow issues as they not long opened two more shops.
I got them for £713.
They are really easy to hit and they are a forgiving head.

Last edited:

Back