Golden years of global warming

Lovely, except the video was about the Arctic.
You spoke of a claim that the polar ice caps were growing. Since ice caps are plural and the only other polar ice cap other than the Arctic is the Antarctic it is relevant. If you are going to pull someone up on something at least make sure you're right.

Can you all remember my arguments/discussions with Tony and a few others? Not something I relished saying I told you so about but...
Now that must be going back quite a few years ago. Possibly 15 to 20? (think Tony had passed on before I moved into this house. If I am thinking about the same poster.)

You spoke of a claim that the polar ice caps were growing. Since ice caps are plural and the only other polar ice cap other than the Arctic is the Antarctic it is relevant. If you are going to pull someone up on something at least make sure you're right.
I'm confused, didn't you say there had been an overall reduction in the size of the Antarctic ice cap?
Can you all remember my arguments/discussions with Tony and a few others? Not something I relished saying I told you so about but...
Vernon the coal chemist making an appearance was a personal favourite

Last edited:
I'm confused, didn't you say there had been an overall reduction in the size of the Antarctic ice cap?
Yes I did. Why the confusion?

I originally commented on what was said about the claim that it was shown the polar ice capS were increasing in size. I was explaining some parts were increasing while others were decreasing, but with an overall loss of area and volume. This explains why some videos can show an expansion in ice cap but the overall area diminishes globally. It is also possible for the ice cap area to remain the same while the volume of ice is reduced. This is because the area can both increase and decrease dramatically year by year, but the ice is consistently getting thinner.

What is it you think I'm saying?
Another idiot who doesn't understand the difference between a scientific theory and a pile of shit he's watched on YouTube
Come on then explain the difference.

Last edited:

I originally commented on what was said about the claim that it was shown the polar ice capS were increasing in size. I was explaining some parts were increasing while others were decreasing, but with an overall loss of area and volume. This explains why some videos can show an expansion in ice cap but the overall area diminishes globally. It is also possible for the ice cap area to remain the same while the volume of ice is reduced. This is because the area can both increase and decrease dramatically year by year, but the ice is consistently getting thinner.

Come on then explain the difference.

What people call a theory in layman's terms would barely qualify as a hypothesis in science, ie an idea that someone has had to explain something they've observed but which doesn't really have a lot of evidence to back it up. In science a theory is a rigourously tested statement that is sufficiently solid on which to start using as the basis for ongoing scientific practices, the creation of actual measurements and practical use in building and engineering. Newton's work on gravity is a theory, and not only can you use those principles for scientific measurements including electronic devices that can detect the forces he observed, there are planes in the sky and space probes travelling outside the solar system built on that theory.

It is one of the worst and most dangerous phenomena of modern life that there are people who think any old opinion or unsupported bollocks by sceptics with a negative agenda is on the same level as scientific principles.

What people call a theory in layman's terms would barely qualify as a hypothesis in science, ie an idea that someone has had to explain something they've observed but which doesn't really have a lot of evidence to back it up. In science a theory is a rigourously tested statement that is sufficiently solid on which to start using as the basis for ongoing scientific practices, the creation of actual measurements and practical use in building and engineering. Newton's work on gravity is a theory, and not only can you use those principles for scientific measurements including electronic devices that can detect the forces he observed, there are planes in the sky and space probes travelling outside the solar system built on that theory.

It is one of the worst and most dangerous phenomena of modern life that there are people who think any old opinion or unsupported bollocks by sceptics with a negative agenda is on the same level as scientific principles.

I know what a hypothesis is. What I meant was a lot of scientific research doesn't stand up to peer review and is misleading. It is often funded by organisations with an agenda. Alternatively you can get some good fact based information from YouTube.

I reckon you're engaging in sophistry.

Antarctic sea ice volume has decreased over time in recent decades and anything else is really irrelevant

Back