Golden Lion south hylton

Is that bloody boat still stuck in the river? It's kept my kids amused (between that and the disappearing letters on the Golden Lion) every time they've been to visit the grandparents of late.

He was an old man who had lived in an isolated cottage all his life. Sad really

MY grandad's history of the village

@AB22 Easy Tiger Cheers for that, I’ve printed that out, absolutely love local history.

Didn’t know that about Charlie living in the pub, I was into fishing as a young’un and sometimes fished next to the Golden Lion, Charlie used to tell us some real tall stories probably because we were kids.

Remember Wilfy anarl, was his house called/referred to as the miley or was that the track past his house?

Wasn’t there a yard next to the golden lion, a bit derelict with a load of old wagons in it, might have been spoors yard, remember getting petrol for my motorbike from spoors next to his house?

@AB22 Easy Tiger Cheers for that, I’ve printed that out, absolutely love local history.

Didn’t know that about Charlie living in the pub, I was into fishing as a young’un and sometimes fished next to the Golden Lion, Charlie used to tell us some real tall stories probably because we were kids.

Remember Wilfy anarl, was his house called/referred to as the miley or was that the track past his house?

Wasn’t there a yard next to the golden lion, a bit derelict with a load of old wagons in it, might have been spoors yard, remember getting petrol for my motorbike from spoors next to his house?
I used to flattie-bash at the lion and remember Charlie's tales of pulling drown corpses from the river.
The miley was the mile lonnen track at the edge of wilfs House.

Spoors yard was slightly up the bank- Sunniside, behind what is now the Tansy. He used to have a single pump, Cleveland Petrol. I used to go out with one of his daughters.

If you are interested this is good reading.

Spoors yard was slightly up the bank- Sunniside, behind what is now the Tansy. He used to have a single pump, Cleveland Petrol. I used to go out with one of his daughters.
Up the bank, left hand side behind the community center where the discos were held? Haven't been there in 25+ years but I vaguely remember the yard.

As well as the golden lion going, St Mary's is up for sale.
I saw this on the South Hylton FB group. If I had the spare cash I’d buy that in a heartbeat, convert it to a single family home with a studio, and move in.

Yes, I have that.
Up the bank, left hand side behind the community center where the discos were held? Haven't been there in 25+ years but I vaguely remember the yard.
Yep

Last edited:

Aye we would knock on his front door for service :) pump was from the 50s I'd say. But did he or someone have a yard next to the Golden Lion - down river a bit with loads of old wagons or trailers? or am I going senile, did this daughter eventually work in pennywell school or one of the younger ones?

Cheers, I'll check that out.

Check out the number of pubs.

Back