Going vegan

I work with a vegan. He reported me to HR for sending him on a visit to the head office of a meat company. This was even though I'd taken the time to make sure there were no meat products on site and shared with him the reply which confirmed it was only office space.
Seems an OTT response. Hopefully HR saw sense?

If you stare in someone's mouth you will see fairly small canine teeth for ripping meat and flat ones at the back for grinding grains and leaves. Use this as a guide for the kind of balanced diet a fit for purpose omnivore animal should target.

If you stare in someone's mouth you will see fairly small canine teeth for ripping meat and flat ones at the back for grinding grains and leaves. Use this as a guide for the kind of balanced diet a fit for purpose omnivore animal should target.
I think that’s irrelevant. When was the last time you ripped an animal apart with your canines? Or ate it raw?

Instead we generally depend on someone else to do the despatching and preparation until it’s sanitised enough to cook and eat. Appreciate though that some people do this themselves.

Just because we used to doesn’t mean we have to continue.

If there is a more middle class post than this on this board then I want to see it :lol:

I have huge respect for people who make thoughtful lifestyle changes like this but I'm a lazy omnivore.

For the record I've had Sainsburys taste the difference giant fish finger sandwiches (in white bread) with iceberg lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and cheese coleslaw on the side.
The king of the fish finger imo mate.

Been on vegi stuff all week, purely from a healthy eating perspective, not to be vegan, but want to reduce and maybe eliminate meat.
Of the vegan dishes I’ve made,
misses were tofu, like a cross between chicken, eggs, and sponge cake. Binned.
Beet burgers...tasted healthy, and shite. Recipe needs work.
Hits were lentil veg shep pie tremendous
Sweet pot, spinach, cauliflower coconut curry, lemon rice
Roast tomato linguine, basil n nut crumb.
Nasi goreng
Oatly milk...toppa.
Mixed bag food wise, but not missing meat so far.

I’d rate all those things exactly the same. Veg shep pie is lush.
It’s not that it’s unhealthy, but most of the meat we buy is mass produced rubbish, and pretty tasteless.
Finding decent grass fed meats and organic chicken etc is sometimes impossible, and expensive. I’d rather have a go at cutting it out altogether in favour of a wider variety of veg... more of the good stuff, nutrients.
Yup that’s our approach - our diet is 95% veggie now, from time to time will splash out on really good meat - organic, farm assured, as local as possible. Better to have, say, Romney Marsh salt lamb once in a blue moon than frozen New Zealand lamb once a week.
You also have an appendix and the remnants of a tail
And nipples, 49% chance they are useless to the poster in question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I made a veggie mince and dumplings with burned cabbage and mustard mash.

Put loads of cheese and herbs in the dumplings and made the mince as I would a ragu really, lots of wine so had loads of flavour. Obviously minus the bacon.

Got some of those vivera burgers for tomorrow same firm who make the kebab meat so looking forward to trying those. Think I’ll make some Big Mac sauce and have it with mixed pickle and some Parmesan and truffle oil chips.

What I’ve been doing is using loads of condiments and tried to add as many different flavours and textures to the food. I’ve been making puffed wild rice and having salt and vinegar powder on them. Shit like that just makes it more interesting.

Had shakshuka for breakfast yesterday with a dollop of yoghurt and poached some eggs in it. That was great that

Last edited:
Hard day today with rugby. Had bagel for brekko. Asparagus soup for lunch and have some veggie burger and wedges before fireworks in a minute. Had to buy some beef shin for the dinner tomorrow. In the butcher. For the family.
Is it a vegan bagel? Or just a regular one?

Back