Going to new york

Went up it last year. Was worth it for the elevator ride to the top. The view North is something else from that part of the city. Concrete jungle indeed.
I walk past the thing every day,but I'm too tight to make the effort.

They all say the Federal Reserve museum down here is good too,I went to the one in Chicago but this one shows you the gold vault too. Probably boring for most people.

I haven't been there either,or the first capital building,which is over the f***ing road from work.....Bit of a theme developing.....

I walk past the thing every day,but I'm too tight to make the effort.

They all say the Federal Reserve museum down here is good too,I went to the one in Chicago but this one shows you the gold vault too. Probably boring for most people.

I haven't been there either,or the first capital building,which is over the f***ing road from work.....Bit of a theme developing.....

I think we take for granted what's on our doorstep and don't bother going. I live a minutes walk from one beach and 10 mins walk from another. I've been once in about 15 years. About an hour and half drive away from some of the most beautiful scenery in the world - I know this from pictures as I can't be arsed to go and see for myself.

I think we take for granted what's on our doorstep and don't bother going. I live a minutes walk from one beach and 10 mins walk from another. I've been once in about 15 years. About an hour and half drive away from some of the most beautiful scenery in the world - I know this from pictures as I can't be arsed to go and see for myself.
You enjoy living in Roker?

It's probably half an hour on the subway by the time you find the right stations etc from there. I'd do it separately if it was me, combine that with Central Park and see stuff in the village/ go to Katz another day.

Alan Cumming (the Scottish actor) has a "night club"/ cabaret bar in the east village that people like. I'm sure it's very camp,but very New York. It's like 5 minutes walk from Katz....

I suppose if you have limited time it ticks some boxes to do both at the same time. I'd definitely walk the high line if you get the chance,that's nice.

I work downtown and there isn't much here,unless you are going to get the ferry to Staten Island or the Statue of liberty. Then you can see the bull,the NYSE (you cant go inside though) and the World Trade Centre monument is "moving".

People seem to say that going up the WTC has better views than the others, but I haven't gone up myself and it's not as exciting sounding as top of the Rock etc in midtown.

It's all a matter of time,but I live in Jersey City and I think the view from the Riverside there is about the best as you walk along the Hudson. You can get a PATH train from the WTC or 33rd Street in midtown and get off at Exchange Place and walk around. There are a few nice restaurants down there like Amelia's too (it's fairly cheap),but again,it's not a box people want to tick when they are here and short of time.

thanks for the tips mate, think were going to Try Fugo de chao tommorow evening as its near the rockafella, cant seem to find the prices anywhere

thanks for the tips mate, think were going to Try Fugo de chao tommorow evening as its near the rockafella, cant seem to find the prices anywhere
Very nice.

I haven't been,but I'd think if it's like those other rodizio things I'd imagine it will be about $80, maybe less. I hope you enjoy it,I went up there once, obviously people prefer to go up there at night for the views .

Very nice.

I haven't been,but I'd think if it's like those other rodizio things I'd imagine it will be about $80, maybe less. I hope you enjoy it,I went up there once, obviously people prefer to go up there at night for the views .

Cheers mate any tips for live music or comedy shows nothing too expensive as were already going to broadway

It's probably half an hour on the subway by the time you find the right stations etc from there. I'd do it separately if it was me, combine that with Central Park and see stuff in the village/ go to Katz another day.

Alan Cumming (the Scottish actor) has a "night club"/ cabaret bar in the east village that people like. I'm sure it's very camp,but very New York. It's like 5 minutes walk from Katz....

I suppose if you have limited time it ticks some boxes to do both at the same time. I'd definitely walk the high line if you get the chance,that's nice.

I work downtown and there isn't much here,unless you are going to get the ferry to Staten Island or the Statue of liberty. Then you can see the bull,the NYSE (you cant go inside though) and the World Trade Centre monument is "moving".

People seem to say that going up the WTC has better views than the others, but I haven't gone up myself and it's not as exciting sounding as top of the Rock etc in midtown.

It's all a matter of time,but I live in Jersey City and I think the view from the Riverside there is about the best as you walk along the Hudson. You can get a PATH train from the WTC or 33rd Street in midtown and get off at Exchange Place and walk around. There are a few nice restaurants down there like Amelia's too (it's fairly cheap),but again,it's not a box people want to tick when they are here and short of time.

WTC is very expensive and it's not that good a view compared to top of the rock. I didn't think the elevator thing was any good either. Know my mates think the same as well. I do not care about learning about the ferry's in NYC or the subway while I'm at the top of the WTC, that seemed odd.

WTC is very expensive and it's not that good a view compared to top of the rock. I didn't think the elevator thing was any good either. Know my mates think the same as well. I do not care about learning about the ferry's in NYC or the subway while I'm at the top of the WTC, that seemed odd.
Oh right,wierd.

I suppose it's probably owned by the NYNJ Port Authority,or ran by them,so they probably know about all of that and think people will care. They only just opened one of the subway stations below a few months ago after being closed since 9/11.

I guess there is a lot going on with the ferries down there,not just like Staten Island but people commute by ferry from all over the place,it seems to only grown as well. So maybe they think that's cool.

Cheers mate any tips for live music or comedy shows nothing too expensive as were already going to broadway
I can't really think of anywhere I know you'd just turn up at kind of thing.

I know Jerry Seinfeld has a residency at the Beacon Theatre,but that's probably expensive at short notice. Terminal 5 is a cool place who have bands on for decent prices,but I can't see anything on there over the next few days.

Last edited:
I'm planning a Dylan inspired pilgrimage to Macdougal Street so this is good to know.

we went to Cafe Wha and got in for free - didn't realise you had to pay but everyone was - we stood outside for a minute having a tab deciding what to do and the bloke just said he wouldn't charge us. think it was only a couple of dollars anyway, was a class night, they had a soul/funk band on and its only table service and hardly any room to move but we had a blast. washington square park is good for a chill out too, there is a lot going on there. i regret not playing chess with one of the resident old gadgies who just sit waiting for someone to give them a game. there is a basketball court round there called 'the cage' which we went to have a look at and its brutal, we were there probably half an hour, fuck knows what their rules are. the white horse is round there too, famous for Dylan Thomas and 1960s bohemians but i found the owner a complete knob head, had one drink and left, totally up his own arse. most authentic old dive bar i found was on E Houston street, Milanos Bar, a few blocks west of Katzs, its tiny, old, dropping to bits and full of wierdos, including the lass behind the bar with the filthy mouth. there was a deaf bloke sitting watching a western on the tele with the subtitles on and this looper just talking at him, even though he couldnt hear, then they nearly got into a fight

Went up it last year. Was worth it for the elevator ride to the top. The view North is something else from that part of the city. Concrete jungle indeed.
I visited the Windows on tne World, in the North Tower, of the original WTC, back in 1999, and the view was amazing, from the 106th floor iirc.
The Empire State Building, also had fantastic views from the observation decks (on a daytime, and at night, with NYC, illuminated by millions of lights,) but not as high up, as WOTW.

When I visited the ESB, I did a cinema style, virtial tour, called the NY Skyride, which is a fast paced, virtual reality tour of NYC, by land, sea and air, and is excellent, and a little unnerving at the same time.
Anybody who hasnt been to the ESB, can do a virtual reality tour of the building and observation decks, by looking on Youtube.

I've never been back to NYC, since 1999, so haven't yet visited, the new, One WTC, or experienced the new observation deck, on the 102nd floor, but hopefully, I'll go back again some day.

I know this won't be much use to the OP considering the date of his post, but I would avoid KATZ'S. Overpriced because of its reputation. Think I paid over $25 for a pastrami sandwich and it was mediocre at best.

Back