Going to new york

Aye it can be a bit of a twatish place.

Its a union restaurant, holiday, sick pay and all the rest that goes with one of the very few places in NYC that has it. All the staff have been working there for years and can come across as being shall we say entitled gits.

They don't have to be nice for tips to supplement their pay or do a good job. TBH my mate can come across as being a twat at times.
and this is the good side to capitalism/no min wage. people have to constantly work to a standard to maintain their income.

and this is the good side to capitalism/no min wage. people have to constantly work to a standard to maintain their income.
On the other hand, some people who work in bars and similar over here make like $100k a year . That's why you often see more older people in those kinds of jobs than at home,where it's all students and kids.

The minimum wage in New York is $13.5 for small businesses and $15 for large businesses. So not so bad. If you work in bars and restaurants,that just needs to be what you come out with after tips though. So people often get paid next to nowt basic wage,knowing they'll make tips. If there tips and basic don't come to the minimum wage,the employer has to top it up.

On the other hand, some people who work in bars and similar over here make like $100k a year . That's why you often see more older people in those kinds of jobs than at home,where it's all students and kids.

The minimum wage in New York is $13.5 for small businesses and $15 for large businesses. So not so bad. If you work in bars and restaurants,that just needs to be what you come out with after tips though. So people often get paid next to nowt basic wage,knowing they'll make tips. If there tips and basic don't come to the minimum wage,the employer has to top it up.
if they make 100 grand a year doing a good job, there's no problem in that, regardless of the industry. that's market forces in action; supply and demand.

Gallaghers for steak.
Fogo de chao is a great Brazilian churasscaria.
Katz is overhyped.
Obao is a great Asian place and the cocktails are great.
Juniors for cheesecake too.

if they make 100 grand a year doing a good job, there's no problem in that, regardless of the industry. that's market forces in action; supply and demand.
Not really like. It doesn't matter what they do directly,places that are busy and expensive will get more tips. Eventually if you constantly provide shit service,it might catch up with you. Probably not as nobody gives a fuck. It's just pure luck. Or looks maybe...

The restaurant below the friends apartment is very good - the little owl iirc although we were lucky as a booking didn’t show and we stepped in.

China town is great, the prices somehow give you respite from the normal crazy prices of food and drink

I'm gonna try it anyway fuck the haters
Fair enough if it's handy. You could walk the high line or something,then walk around Greenwich Village and go there....

It gets mad busy with tourists (who don't know how to queue) around dinner time and early afternoon,but I've been at night and it was a better experience.

Fair enough if it's handy. You could walk the high line or something,then walk around Greenwich Village and go there....

It gets mad busy with tourists (who don't know how to queue) around dinner time and early afternoon,but I've been at night and it was a better experience.

Were gonna do the empire and top of the rock first evening so anywhere near there

Gallaghers for steak.
Fogo de chao is a great Brazilian churasscaria.
Katz is overhyped.
Obao is a great Asian place and the cocktails are great.
Juniors for cheesecake too.

Fogo de chao is a great Brazilian

Is that one of them wat all ya want places

Last edited:
Were gonna do the empire and top of the rock first evening so anywhere near there
It's probably half an hour on the subway by the time you find the right stations etc from there. I'd do it separately if it was me, combine that with Central Park and see stuff in the village/ go to Katz another day.

Alan Cumming (the Scottish actor) has a "night club"/ cabaret bar in the east village that people like. I'm sure it's very camp,but very New York. It's like 5 minutes walk from Katz....

I suppose if you have limited time it ticks some boxes to do both at the same time. I'd definitely walk the high line if you get the chance,that's nice.

I work downtown and there isn't much here,unless you are going to get the ferry to Staten Island or the Statue of liberty. Then you can see the bull,the NYSE (you cant go inside though) and the World Trade Centre monument is "moving".

People seem to say that going up the WTC has better views than the others, but I haven't gone up myself and it's not as exciting sounding as top of the Rock etc in midtown.

It's all a matter of time,but I live in Jersey City and I think the view from the Riverside there is about the best as you walk along the Hudson. You can get a PATH train from the WTC or 33rd Street in midtown and get off at Exchange Place and walk around. There are a few nice restaurants down there like Amelia's too (it's fairly cheap),but again,it's not a box people want to tick when they are here and short of time.

Bit costly but we did a cruise down the Hudson, set off about 6:00, back about 10:30 so you see it in daylight and also whilst it’s gettin dark, does a few laps around liberty island too.

Great food, 3 course meal served with drinks included.

Think it was about £120 each but not as mental as it sounds for NYC

Back