Going to new york

I found the hotel prices to be pretty constant March to Nov - going in Sept saved about £100 on the flights compared to summer. It seems you can get cheap hotels if you're prepared to book last minute but that doesn't help with planning.
BA had a decent sale on last month so ended up booking through them. Their flight prices added a few hundred quid extra from the back end of July and August like.

took a fine last year pisstake
Wish we could, there'd be nobody to teach the class.

Last edited:

BA had a decent sale on last month so ended up booking through them. Their flight prices added a few hundred quid extra from the back end of July and August like.
We booked BA for the same reason - saved £1400 against a skyscanner/booking.com combination for the same trip and hotel

We've been looking at going in the summer, seen loads of decent priced deals but anything during the school holidays puts the price through the roof. I can see why parents will take the fine for having kids out of school in term time.
Yea deals for School holidays seem to be only available well in advance or closer to the time if those weeks aint selling. Deals about now for Easter and summer and a couple of weeks ago for half term (not sure about NY mind) but seen them on sites like one posted for a few places and ideal for kids

Just back after 5 days, unbelievably cold until yesterday.

Carmines for old school Italian
Gallagher's for steak
Bouddakan in Meat Packing District for something leftfield, unbelievable food and atmosphere.

We booked BA for the same reason - saved £1400 against a skyscanner/booking.com combination for the same trip and hotel
I've found a few times that travelling to otherwise expensive cities, on otherwise expensive flights, BA Holidays offer a price where booking separately was almost twice the price. Flight and 4 nights 4* hotel to New York was about £200 more than just the flights would have been

I've found a few times that travelling to otherwise expensive cities, on otherwise expensive flights, BA Holidays offer a price where booking separately was almost twice the price. Flight and 4 nights 4* hotel to New York was about £200 more than just the flights would have been
I found BA very expensive when I was booking for last year - they only offered me The Marakech Hotel on 103rd St for about £3500. Bit weird as their site now has decent digs and flights for about £1200-1500 pp.
Just looked on booking.com and the hotel alone would cost £300 more than I've paid this time around :eek:

Carmine's is good for American Italian food - 200 W 44th Street (near Time Square / Broadway).

Not bad and excellent for groups, one plate of food is enough for 4 or 5 people. Always busy, been a long while since I've been.

Some good restaurants in Brooklyn just down from the walkway towards the bridge.

Indeed there is, my old hood, Brooklyn Heights. Noodle Pudding, really good Italian and cash only, Jack The Horse, Henry's End, Henry Street Ale house for a pint of 2 or visit my old local Custom House, very friendly place.

next week,

Any bait reccomendation

Massive Steaks
BBQ
Burgers
Lobster rolls

is KATZ worth the hype

p.S. ya DA sells out of date crabsticks at the fish quay

If you visit Brooklyn, a little walk over the bridge see above. Plenty of other places within 5 mins of the Brooklyn end of the bridge, either in Brooklyn Heights or down in DUMBO.

KATZ is worth it, Burgers are staples at any bar, never really had a bad one, if you do then the rest of the food in that bar will be shit, its that simple.

Not BBQ fan, but been told Mighty Quinns in the Village is very good.

Steak, I was always a Smith & Wollensky man, maybe because my mate was a bar man now sommelier their. Peter Luger isn't to bad. As far as I am concerned all the steakhouses are all the same, nowt special.

Lobster, kill two birds with one stone. Visit Grand Central Oyster Bar & Restaurant and have your lobster and see the amazing Grand Central Station.

Forget Little Italy, head to Chinatown and find a cafe the local Chinese workers goto, you'll be pointing at pictures for your food but its great. Right in the middle of Chinatown is a speakeasy called Apotheke, great place for a cocktail and surrounded by some good restaurants.

Hudson St has some great restaurants from the Village upto the Meatpacking district.

So many places to eat and probably every type of food you can think of, only one I would warn you off is Ethiopian, its rank, simple as.

Other than that, get a weekly subway pass, I think they are around $32 now, well worth it. Take some warm weather clothing as its brass this time of year and good walking shoes too.

Enjoy :)

Not bad and excellent for groups, one plate of food is enough for 4 or 5 people. Always busy, been a long while since I've been.

Indeed there is, my old hood, Brooklyn Heights. Noodle Pudding, really good Italian and cash only, Jack The Horse, Henry's End, Henry Street Ale house for a pint of 2 or visit my old local Custom House, very friendly place.

If you visit Brooklyn, a little walk over the bridge see above. Plenty of other places within 5 mins of the Brooklyn end of the bridge, either in Brooklyn Heights or down in DUMBO.

KATZ is worth it, Burgers are staples at any bar, never really had a bad one, if you do then the rest of the food in that bar will be shit, its that simple.

Not BBQ fan, but been told Mighty Quinns in the Village is very good.

Steak, I was always a Smith & Wollensky man, maybe because my mate was a bar man now sommelier their. Peter Luger isn't to bad. As far as I am concerned all the steakhouses are all the same, nowt special.

Lobster, kill two birds with one stone. Visit Grand Central Oyster Bar & Restaurant and have your lobster and see the amazing Grand Central Station.

Forget Little Italy, head to Chinatown and find a cafe the local Chinese workers goto, you'll be pointing at pictures for your food but its great. Right in the middle of Chinatown is a speakeasy called Apotheke, great place for a cocktail and surrounded by some good restaurants.

Hudson St has some great restaurants from the Village upto the Meatpacking district.

So many places to eat and probably every type of food you can think of, only one I would warn you off is Ethiopian, its rank, simple as.

Other than that, get a weekly subway pass, I think they are around $32 now, well worth it. Take some warm weather clothing as its brass this time of year and good walking shoes too.

Enjoy :)
S&W nearly ruined a Christmas Day for me, waiter was such a prick.

S&W nearly ruined a Christmas Day for me, waiter was such a prick.

Aye it can be a bit of a twatish place.

Its a union restaurant, holiday, sick pay and all the rest that goes with one of the very few places in NYC that has it. All the staff have been working there for years and can come across as being shall we say entitled gits.

They don't have to be nice for tips to supplement their pay or do a good job. TBH my mate can come across as being a twat at times.

If it was me and it's out of the way of where you are going,I wouldn't bother with Katz Deli. It's ok,but it's quite expensive and I think the salt beef in London is better.

I agree with everybody on Little Italy,it's a shit hole tourist trap. Only times I've eaten there it was shite .

Capital Grille is fine,but it's a chain all over America. I don't think NYC is expensive myself,no more than the rest of the country anyway. Considering.

If it was me and it's out of the way of where you are going,I wouldn't bother with Katz Deli. It's ok,but it's quite expensive and I think the salt beef in London is better.

I agree with everybody on Little Italy,it's a shit hole tourist trap. Only times I've eaten there it was shite .

Capital Grille is fine,but it's a chain all over America. I don't think NYC is expensive myself,no more than the rest of the country anyway. Considering.

$25 for a f***ing sandwich hahaha, cheeky fuckers

next week,

Any bait reccomendation

Massive Steaks
BBQ
Burgers
Lobster rolls

is KATZ worth the hype

p.S. ya DA sells out of date crabsticks at the fish quay

Club A steak house
Exceptional, but not cheap. Smart/ Casual. Go for the Porter House

240 East 58th Street
New York, NY 10022
(212) 688-4190

Katz is worth the visit for a sarnie...

Lobsters/fish /Steak /Wagu

The Riverside Café (Brooklyn, just below the bridge..
We went for Brunch. Smart Casual up to 4 pm then jacket and tie.. Not cheap but exceptional.

1 Water St.
Brooklyn, NY 11201
(718) 522-5200

The Parker Meridian for any Burger.. the best in NYC.

East 57th Street . Main entrance.. Burgers are reasonably priced but lush.

Back