Going to new york

I know this won't be much use to the OP considering the date of his post, but I would avoid KATZ'S. Overpriced because of its reputation. Think I paid over $25 for a pastrami sandwich and it was mediocre at best.

Worth a visit but not worth going back to.

Those sandwiches are minging anyway.

I know this won't be much use to the OP considering the date of his post, but I would avoid KATZ'S. Overpriced because of its reputation. Think I paid over $25 for a pastrami sandwich and it was mediocre at best.
We swerved Katz's and went to Sarge's Deli a few blocks from the Empire State building instead, still paid a decent amount but got plenty in a huge Philly Cheesesteak sandwich.

Best thing I tasted was a beef brisket burger at a place calle dJax BBQ. Can't remember the price being too bad either. Nearly a week in like so maybe just desensitised to it by then.

Was there 3 weeks ago, had a great time - did a gig at Terminal5 (little bit like the O2), Broadway show, Baseball at Yankee Stadium, Ice Hockey at MSG, climbed to the crown of SOL, Carlo's bakery (twice ;)), Bubba Gumps, loads of pizza, loads of 'food on the go', a full day in Central Park and seen a bloke in McDonalds wearing a John Motson style sheepskin coat when it was 29 degrees outside:lol:. Still didn't get everything done that we wanted to.

Did ESB and TotR last year so didn't go again - for anyone who wants to do the views at night, we did it at TotR and the perspex/glass surround means you're looking at your own reflection a lot of the time so maybe do it at the ESB which has railings instead. Anyway if, like us, you don't know NY, the you're looking at a lit up city without knowing what's what and which area is which etc.

Thing that stood out this year, a lot more than last year, was the number of beggars. NY has a serious problem with this, some of them are very aggressive, I even had to square up to one of them who was pestering us in McD's late one night before the staff stepped in and asked him to leave.

Use Howards Beach for getting the subway to and from Manhattan. Especially avoid Jamaica Station on the way back to JFK, very busy and lots of aggresive people asking for Metro cards that are still valid.

Thing that stood out this year, a lot more than last year, was the number of beggars. NY has a serious problem with this, some of them are very aggressive, I even had to square up to one of them who was pestering us in McD's late one night before the staff stepped in and asked him to leave.
One bloke asked me for money when we'd just come out of a restaurant, when I said I had no change he went "I've got change!" and pulled out a little cash box. Cheeky fucker :lol:

There were a lot of homeless, a lot of them not even begging, I just put it down to it being a big city in the same way you get a lot of homeless around London or Manchester.

we just got back a couple about ten days ago...bloody hell it was hot

the subway stations were like furnaces..thank god the subway cars are air conditioned...as are the buses

I really enjoyed Urban Space down beside grand central....had a great bar with a really chatty owner and the choice of food on offer in the place was excellent ( the lobster rolls were superb!!)

Love the place. So much to do.

If you are in the mind the 9/11 museum is very well done. And the observatory in the WTC is brilliant. The ESB for my eyes beat it though as we went and sunset and it’s got a more classic, Art Deco feel to it.

Toto Ramen in Hell’s Kitchen is the best place we ate. Also ate in the singing diner place. Food was very good, the grease songs done me head in though.

Also be wary of street food vendors. My Mrs bought a pretzel near WTC and it was 5 quid.

Katz is alright. It's as good as I've had to be honest,but it depends on what you want I suppose. If you want Philly Cheese steak,then that's not what it's for.

That being said,the sandwiches are expensive and far too big,wish they did half sizes (or maybe they do and I didn't know .....).

I prefer the salt beef in London to the "corned beef" here anyway.

$5 for a Pretzel? What's wrong with that....street food is cheap as fuck and decent until the novelty wears off. Not much access to cheap food over here so it can serve a purpose.

Was there 3 weeks ago, had a great time - did a gig at Terminal5 (little bit like the O2), Broadway show, Baseball at Yankee Stadium, Ice Hockey at MSG, climbed to the crown of SOL, Carlo's bakery (twice ;)), Bubba Gumps, loads of pizza, loads of 'food on the go', a full day in Central Park and seen a bloke in McDonalds wearing a John Motson style sheepskin coat when it was 29 degrees outside:lol:. Still didn't get everything done that we wanted to.

Did ESB and TotR last year so didn't go again - for anyone who wants to do the views at night, we did it at TotR and the perspex/glass surround means you're looking at your own reflection a lot of the time so maybe do it at the ESB which has railings instead. Anyway if, like us, you don't know NY, the you're looking at a lit up city without knowing what's what and which area is which etc.

Use Howards Beach for getting the subway to and from Manhattan. Especially avoid Jamaica Station on the way back to JFK, very busy and lots of aggresive people asking for Metro cards that are still valid.
I also seen couple of shows on Broadway, and had a look around Central Park.
Musicals are not my thing, but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the experience, and was impressed by the whole theatre set up, and the work that went into making the shows, so successful.

Went years ago

Never knew from block to block what came next. The area around madison square gardens was a shit hole

Worst service in the restaurants and bars of anywhere in the USA.

Back