Going to buy a hotdog and end up getting the cane.

‘The cane’ ; I can identify with

Being able to get a hotdog at school or access a ‘tuck shop’ when you’re not a character in a Billy Bunter story are entirely alien to my personal experience.

Got the strap for not getting out of the pool quick enough for the PE teacher on school trip to baths
Bordering on abuse

You were one of many I suspect.
If you knew Ryhope school mate they had a tower block. He had a class in there. I was in another class on the same floor doing engineering drawing. On one occasion we had been giving him shit at his hot dog stand the night before after a match. He came in and said Mr Miller can I please borrow him. He then dragged me out by my Sunderland scarf which I had knotted around my neck and bounced me from wall to wall. I just remember all the faces looking out from the little glass panes in the classroom door laughing. Fair play to him, and it was canny funny:lol:

If you knew Ryhope school mate they had a tower block. He had a class in there. I was in another class on the same floor doing engineering drawing. On one occasion we had been giving him shit at his hot dog stand the night before after a match. He came in and said Mr Miller can I please borrow him. He then dragged me out by my Sunderland scarf which I had knotted around my neck and bounced me from wall to wall. I just remember all the faces looking out from the little glass panes in the classroom door laughing. Fair play to him, and it was canny funny:lol:
I only knew him at Southmoor. The amount of times abuse was written on his blackboard and then hidden until he pulled it down. Bumped into him down the town after I left school in Bunnies. He was mortal and came at me armed with a bible shouting 'you could have chosen this way'. His brother dragged him away.:lol:

I only knew him at Southmoor. The amount of times abuse was written on his blackboard and then hidden until he pulled it down. Bumped into him down the town after I left school in Bunnies. He was mortal and came at me armed with a bible shouting 'you could have chosen this way'. His brother dragged him away.:lol:
Sounds like he went a bit crackers. He clouted me another time for rubbing liniment into his over coat. To be fair I thought he was okay

Sounds like he went a bit crackers. He clouted me another time for rubbing liniment into his over coat. To be fair I thought he was okay
Aye, he was one of the better ones tbh. He took a ridiculous amount of stick but he never got anyone in trouble with people higher up. Always dealt with it in his own way. Died canny young anarl, probably the Embassy No.2's that caught up with him.

Aye, he was one of the better ones tbh. He took a ridiculous amount of stick but he never got anyone in trouble with people higher up. Always dealt with it in his own way. Died canny young anarl, probably the Embassy No.2's that caught up with him.
The last I ever saw of him was just after I had left school and he was in the old 29 before a match. If I remember rightly the upstarts might have been playing that day. He said hello and I got him a cider.

Showing me age here but anybody else get the cane (at school) for repeated lateness after waiting in the massive feck-off queue in the tuck shop at dinner time? Loved them but the dried onions boiled into slime and the "tomato" sauce that tasted nothing like them but was at least red, a sort of nuclear red were a bit gut-rotting. Any other school delicacies worth getting beaten by an 18 stone sociopath (allegedly) who regularly flew off the handle for no reason?

Tuck Shop ? Were you at Eton with Billy Bunter ?

Anyone hitting a child with a cane needs sectioning. There is literally no excuse for it. It’s child abuse.
It was a part of our history and it would be perhaps harsh to condemn headmasters of a different time who used it very sparingly decades ago, but anyone wanting it brought back needs a long, hard look at themselves.

Cue ‘Britain’s falling apart cos we can’t whip kids in school. No, it isn’t. That’s specious reasoning by simpletons.

The cane was a joke in our school man. Often kids were offered a choice between the cane or detention and almost always took the cane as it was over and done with no parents involved. If you got detention you had to take a card home for your parents to sign.

The deputy head who gave the cane was called Mr. Witham. You’d often walk past his office and see a load of lads lined up outside about to get the cane bouncing in unison and chanting “hit me with your Witham stick, hit me - hit me!” One lad walks past:

“what’s garn on here?”
“We’re all about to get the cane”
“Gerrin, I’ll join yous”

And he stepped in line and got the cane for the fun of it!

The moccasin slipper across the hamstrings was worse than the cane, at least we weren't at a Catholic school where the punishment was a good f***ing off of one of the Christian brothers.

The cane was a joke in our school man. Often kids were offered a choice between the cane or detention and almost always took the cane as it was over and done with no parents involved. If you got detention you had to take a card home for your parents to sign.

The deputy head who gave the cane was called Mr. Witham. You’d often walk past his office and see a load of lads lined up outside about to get the cane bouncing in unison and chanting “hit me with your Witham stick, hit me - hit me!” One lad walks past:

“what’s garn on here?”
“We’re all about to get the cane”
“Gerrin, I’ll join yous”

And he stepped in line and got the cane for the fun of it!

What school, mate? I’m sure I remember a teacher by that name...

Back