Going teetotal

I stopped for a couple of months during COVID and like most on here found it easier than I was expecting. The things that I thought I would struggle with like gigs and eating out were ok. The issue I had was the wife did not stop and we would have friends round during the summer and I cracked.

My problem is volume, I only drink Saturday and Sundays but will have 2 bottles of wine each night, I don't get hangovers and many times done a 12 pint night in the pub then done the park run or great north run. Because family came for dinner yesterday I started early meaning it was a 3 bottle day, went for a 10k run at lunchtime. I need to knock that on the head quickly.
don't take paracetamol is my sincere advice it fucked my liver
No way could I do any form of exercise after having a good drink the day before. I would be a write off for days, quite impressive you done the great north run with 12 pints the night before 😂.
are bollocks i went for a bike ride once got my mate blind drunk on the ferry to st malo wanted to slow him down rode down to southern bordeaux fell off the bike after 100 odd miles. had to crash in a small tavern. they were like you are english but we have cycled from st malo then they were all smiles. when we got to the beach a couple were like it was it was a bitch of a drive to which we answered try in on a mountain bike

are bollocks i went for a bike ride once got my mate blind drunk on the ferry to st malo wanted to slow him down rode down to southern bordeaux fell off the bike after 100 odd miles. had to crash in a small tavern. they were like you are english but we have cycled from st malo then they were all smiles. when we got to the beach a couple were like it was it was a bitch of a drive to which we answered try in on a mountain bike
had to slow him down the cops nicked him for doing 37 miles an hour after he'd rode from durham to wear head and back whilst he was going through langley moor

had to slow him down the cops nicked him for doing 37 miles an hour after he'd rode from durham to wear head and back whilst he was going through langley moor
i apologise it wast bordeaux it was some resort in the south of Normandy

Last edited:

Anyone trying to manage to stay off it all weekend ?
Or anyone wishing to cut down wish they had or pleased they didn’t ?

I managed and pleased I did it, yesterday was a struggle but had the car so knew I couldn’t.
Futty and the weather put a big downer on it mind.

get me more confident, as a fairly shy person.
You're far from being alone in that. It isn't a bad point, people use drink as a mental crutch as they build self confidence (especially in new situations)

I managed and pleased I did it, yesterday was a struggle but had the car so knew I couldn’t.
Well done for doing it, it shows you can when YOU decide. That's what being in control is all about. 👍

Last edited:
I stopped for a couple of months during COVID and like most on here found it easier than I was expecting. The things that I thought I would struggle with like gigs and eating out were ok. The issue I had was the wife did not stop and we would have friends round during the summer and I cracked.

My problem is volume, I only drink Saturday and Sundays but will have 2 bottles of wine each night, I don't get hangovers and many times done a 12 pint night in the pub then done the park run or great north run. Because family came for dinner yesterday I started early meaning it was a 3 bottle day, went for a 10k run at lunchtime. I need to knock that on the head quickly.
Aye its bad on your knees mate.

Futty and the weather put a big downer on it mind.

Well done. I'm pondering having a month off in May. Just for a change. Had most of January dry (not intentionally, just worked out that way) and that was easy enough. Mind, as I said before, I've ditched it for 3 months before and felt no benefit. Too many great beers being produced to duff it tbh (understand those with issues needing to mind, and good on them).

Been drinking far too much recently. Can feel it adding to my waist line so will try and cut back. Be good when the season finishes (for many reasons) as that'll be some days not dependent on drink.

I'm not ready to go full teetotal but I am very tempted by it. But socially I'm not sure I'd cope.

I'm not a frequent drinker these days but just can't stop once I get the taste for it. Have to keep the party going even if it's just me at the end of the night. I generally just can't do the few drinks and go to bed. I have to kick the arse of it.
Since getting a bad bout of covid last year I've not been able to drink very well. Seems to affect me a lot quicker, and I lose the power of speech etc even though the brain appears to be processing correctly. And the hangovers kill me these days. So don't want that any more.

But also I need to drop some clemmage. For now I think I'll just change my drinking habits and cut out beer. Drink spirits with tonic/diet drinks but smaller measures of the booze. It worked for me before.
Then maybe after the summer look to have an extended time off.

Stopped randomly last year from May to December. The more people tried to get me to drink the more belligerent I became. It was hard at times, especially having a pub in my garden. Felt great for it and my clarity of thought was excellent . Not sure why I started again

I'm not ready to go full teetotal but I am very tempted by it. But socially I'm not sure I'd cope.

I'm not a frequent drinker these days but just can't stop once I get the taste for it. Have to keep the party going even if it's just me at the end of the night. I generally just can't do the few drinks and go to bed. I have to kick the arse of it.
Since getting a bad bout of covid last year I've not been able to drink very well. Seems to affect me a lot quicker, and I lose the power of speech etc even though the brain appears to be processing correctly. And the hangovers kill me these days. So don't want that any more.

But also I need to drop some clemmage. For now I think I'll just change my drinking habits and cut out beer. Drink spirits with tonic/diet drinks but smaller measures of the booze. It worked for me before.
Then maybe after the summer look to have an extended time off.
socially it's hard and I end up in a mess if out as drink till I space out. the best way is yo drink round mates and do food. avoid sessions with pals
Going to have 48 hours off now.
day 1 - clean.

Stopped randomly last year from May to December. The more people tried to get me to drink the more belligerent I became. It was hard at times, especially having a pub in my garden. Felt great for it and my clarity of thought was excellent . Not sure why I started again
Great way to see it, a lot of people's drinking issues are started & made worse from peer pressure to go on the drink. You're in control so keep it that way
i've got six months to live but my personal life makes it difficult to stop and i was 1 month 3 years ago so i've stopped listening to doctors
Just keep going with what suits you. How you feel within yourself & look at things makes a massive difference. Doctors and medics give generalised medical opinions but every individual is different. There's always hope when you have it.
Off it going into the third week now and blood test taken last Wednesday show kidney function is back within normal range ……….. who’d have thought eh ?? When ya see results like this it hits home the effect it can have on ya body.
When ya younger and don’t get ya yearly mot you won’t see things like this to make you think.
The human body is a wonderful thing when you help it along. Great results from the test by the way.
I decided to stop on new years eve. Haven't touched a drop this year. Much easier than I expected.
The power of positive thought when someone decides what's would be better for them 👍
Barely had a drink this year and not touched a drop in weeks. Not even bothered any more.

Gotta reet sweet tooth though.
Well done about the drink. Re: Sweet tooth, everyone has to get their stomach to overhang their belt somehow :lol:

Last edited:
i've got six months to live but my personal life makes it difficult to stop and i was 1 month 3 years ago so i've stopped listening to doctors
That is heartbreaking. No idea how I would cope. We probably never agreed on much but you are part of this place and you posting that has made me a little bit sad.

Nothing I can type that would be of any use to you but I hope you can get whatever joy there is left in life.

Back