Going for a walk

that’s encouraging. Yeah for sure. That will be the tricky part, I really don’t know the answer to that at the minute

any educated guesses at what’s achievable for someone unfit but fairly young and not overweight (hope that doesn’t sound harsh).

20 miles a day seems to far to me
The Anglesey coastal path is 135 miles and that can be done in a week, however, it is mainly flat.

Yes. It’s more picturesque than the bike version, although it doe end further south. I’m sure you can get a train back to Sunderland from the finish point mind. Maybe need to get a bus, but it’s more than doable.

interesting, kind of wanted to do one from Roker, but will look at this, might be easier to navigate, cheers.
The Anglesey coastal path is 135 miles and that can be done in a week, however, it is mainly flat.

looks lush that, maybe one for later. flat is better mind obvs

Last edited:
interesting, kind of wanted to do one from Roker, but will look at this, might be easier to navigate, cheers.

looks lush that, maybe one for later. flat is better mind obvs

Both the bike and walk start from the west of the country due to prevailing wind. You can do it from this side, but you’ll be generally walking/ riding into a head wind for the full duration.
Put the travel time in on the way out then finish near home 👍🏻

Both the bike and walk start from the west of the country due to prevailing wind. You can do it from this side, but you’ll be generally walking/ riding into a head wind for the full duration.
Put the travel time in on the way out then finish near home 👍🏻

Yeah 100% finish at home I agree. cheers for that

the C2C you mentioned seems to take a bit longer than I have, I'll investigate this weekend though, cheers!

Really not sure yet, just started googling it. Most bikes seem to take 3 days to spread it out and it seems quite steep in places too

I’m quite content with it not being quick, more concerned about if it’s walkable or if it would be alongside speeding cars etc

I decided a couple of years back I was walking from Houghton to Consett, got on the C2C route by St.Roberts School and had a canny day, I bailed out at Leadgate due to a pretty spectacular blister but easily walkable and a very nice route also.

Really not sure yet, just started googling it. Most bikes seem to take 3 days to spread it out and it seems quite steep in places too

I’m quite content with it not being quick, more concerned about if it’s walkable or if it would be alongside speeding cars etc
3 days of a bike is about the norm. There is some roads although I'm sure you could stay clear of them. Some of peaks take some doing but obviously easier on foot

that’s encouraging. Yeah for sure. That will be the tricky part, I really don’t know the answer to that at the minute

any educated guesses at what’s achievable for someone unfit but fairly young and not overweight (hope that doesn’t sound harsh).

20 miles a day seems to far to me
You can do 20 miles a day mate, slow and steady you hcan achieve it 👍

Been doing 10 mile a day this week and just eating less

just weighed myself and it’s the lowest I’ve been in years, surprised

I’m looking for advice, I’m useless on bikes due to my back. Is the coast to coast cycle path from Roker to whitehaven walkable? Or are there stretches along main roads which you couldn’t really do by foot

google maps says 115miles along the bike route. I could do that with some stops along the way when hopefully hotels and BnBs are open.

really enjoyed waking, and despite some bad days, the more miles I put in the longer I can do the week after
I'd tweak the bike route a bit but you can loosely follow it for sure. Done it on bike in 3 days and 1 day. The 1 day affair was a lot of main roads.

Was out early this morning and got 3.56 miles done in 58 minutes, got myself home and a bit bacon, sausage and egg with mushroom and got to around dinner time was sick of reading the paper so took my self out for another steady walk. 3.04 miles in 1 hour 14. The wind and rain blowing in my face slowed me down a fair old bit this afternoon like. More spring days coming soon though.

One for a brighter day I’ve done a few times in the last few years.

park at Pooley Bridge walk through the camping site and follow the path along the south side of Ullswater all the way round to Glennridding then jump on the ferry to get back to PB.

Plenty of up slopes , great views , but you’ll need to take your own bait and fluid , about a tenner for the boat ride back as well , great end to a cracking walk.

A regular walk which I completed the opposite way today for a change. 3.82 miles in 56 minutes at 4.07 mph. I got out earlier than usual today as it was perfect weather for a walk. As I was nearing the end of the walk, I was starting to encounter the knackers who go out in pairs who insist upon walking side by side taking up the entire width of the pavement. Selfish bastards.

2.64 and 2.9 for me this weekend up the fields between Wheatley Hill and Ludworth area. Taking it easy as I don't want to push my foot too much. 94 outdoor walking miles this month so will hit my 100 mile monthly target no problem.
Also just completed the steps challenge for this month on Garmin connect as well 280000 steps. Can't grumble with my progress at the moment.
Also just completed the steps challenge for this month on Garmin connect as well 280000 steps. Can't grumble with my progress at the moment.

Last edited:
Walk everyday, usual routes

from Castlefield, down the canal to media city and back

or Castlefield to new Islington marina, back through northern quarter / deansgate

as a few having said, it’s amazing how much a fitness tracker ( Apple Watch) motivates you

Back