Going for a walk

After nights when I take the dog out I always see the same auld fella at 7.20 in the morning, out with his stick in all weather's.

Credit to him, but not sure I could be arsed tbh

Just with the dog, love it though... Always try to find somewhere new & love trying out new locations & visiting local history.
With the dark nights though it's usually just a blast out for 45mins on my lunch break, does help keep the weight off mind.

How many of you actually just go for a walk, I’m not inclined to just put on my clothes and go for a walk but I wish I could.

Iove going for a walk after work , especially since March . Even better if get out at lunchtime, great for mental health

Only really go on walks with the family. If I'm on my own I run. The most recent one round Rainton Meadows. Been on my door step for years and last week was the first time I had been. I'm going to include it in my longer running routes.
love doing it. got back into it around sept 2018 when a mate challenged me to do ben nevis which i did in july 2019.

literally just been doing my walking activity stats for 2020 and i managed 1017 miles which isn't too bad given since august I've had a foot injury. done 865 in 2019. got myself a garmin watch, ideal.

genuinely enjoy just getting out and taking my mind off things. the challenges in strava and garmin connect are very good.

there is also a 1000 mile challenge online which is good.
I love my Garmin for running like. Tempted to upgrade to a Fenix

Last edited:
Most underrated form of exercise by far. The Gym nut types who say it's only good for old people looking to regain mobility are idiots.

Do an hour brisk walk every morning at about half 7 before starting work at 9 (WFH). Hoping to get some weekend hikes in once the weather starts to improve, I got all over last summer on some challenging long'uns too and I've never felt mentally or physically better. Rekon I'd have just became a fat bag of depression if I didn't walk last year.

As mentioned here already worth doing that 1,000 mile a year challenge. You'd get that if you only walked 2.7 miles a day....obviously point is to encourage you to get out as much as possible and see new places.

Last edited:
But how do you go about dragging your arse off the settee or are you a pretty motivated person in general

I have a health issue that can cause muscle weakness and a couple of years ago I struggled to walk which motivated me to go on walks regardless to build some strength back.

As long as I stay active I can stay as fit as anyone but if I don’t my muscles could weaken again. So my motivation is because I have to, so it is a bit easier for me to get up and go.

I tend to think as walking somewhere as a chore. Wish I didn’t have this mentality. As I’d love to Put on coat and shoes and just get out with no particular destination in mind. You’re lucky.
I am indeed, i live pretty close to the river so i can drop onto the C2C trail and just walk. As you said, no destination, i just walk and see where i fancy.

i understand why you see walking as a chore as i suppose i did a year ago. I started walking probably out of boredom and being stuck in the house was really draining mentally without wanting to sound over dramatic. Once i got out there i found it relaxing and being furloughed it was easy to get into a routine. Now i consider my walks as part of my way of keeping active, fit and maintaining my weight. (Lost almost 2 stone through walking only)

I walk every day Fred but do you actually go out for a walk with no destination in mind.

Of course. I genuinely love walking. I'd walk all day for ya. During the first lockdown, I had my 2 year old and 6 year old climbing mountains with me. They used to be begging me to not go on long walks so often.

Fuck that, I'm a parent first, friend second.

I am indeed, i live pretty close to the river so i can drop onto the C2C trail and just walk. As you said, no destination, i just walk and see where i fancy.

i understand why you see walking as a chore as i suppose i did a year ago. I started walking probably out of boredom and being stuck in the house was really draining mentally without wanting to sound over dramatic. Once i got out there i found it relaxing and being furloughed it was easy to get into a routine. Now i consider my walks as part of my way of keeping active, fit and maintaining my weight. (Lost almost 2 stone through walking only)
Loads of interesting places to walk and run in the Northeast. Love exploring when I go out running.

love doing it. got back into it around sept 2018 when a mate challenged me to do ben nevis which i did in july 2019.

literally just been doing my walking activity stats for 2020 and i managed 1017 miles which isn't too bad given since august I've had a foot injury. done 865 in 2019. got myself a garmin watch, ideal.

genuinely enjoy just getting out and taking my mind off things. the challenges in strava and garmin connect are very good.

there is also a 1000 mile challenge online which is good.

I find it interesting how other people live there lives. And I believe I’m missing out so I’m going to make conscious effort (if that the correct spelling) to make some changes and try to walk a little bit

I find it interesting how other people live there lives. And I believe I’m missing out so I’m going to make conscious effort (if that the correct spelling) to make some changes and try to walk a little bit
Get some music or an interesting podcast to listen to and just zone out marra. Obviously be careful crossing roads etc with the headphones in.

I’d recommend starting somewhere you love, do it there a few times and once you feel the benefits you’ll sharp get the buzz for it and explore further. Using strava helps me a lot I find it fascinating tracking miles etc. I often set a target beginning of the week for x amount of miles.

Lots. Feel better when I'm moving, and it stays with me after. Love noticing the world, what's going on with people and nature, what interesting things you might see, will happily go out in the pissing rain or wind because it's just a different way of experiencing the world and real shit weather makes me feel more alive, and you also appreciate getting home. Obviously nicer to walk along the coast or a beautiful bit of countryside, but you can find all the above anywhere.

Last edited:

Back