Going for a walk

Love walking but always hated running despite playing football all my life, so walking seems a decent substitute. Need to get my arse into gear at the minute though and do more of it. During spring and summer lockdown we were out walking everyday after work and it was bliss, there’s some lovely walks round here up towards The Angel, Eighton Banks and Springwell.

We got a puppy in December and are just waiting for him to have his second injection so that he can start going out and I reckon that’ll be the kickstart I need to force me into it. Too easy on these dark cold mornings and nights to sack it off and say you’ll do it tomorrow, but never actually do.

Love walking but always hated running despite playing football all my life, so walking seems a decent substitute. Need to get my arse into gear at the minute though and do more of it. During spring and summer lockdown we were out walking everyday after work and it was bliss, there’s some lovely walks round here up towards The Angel, Eighton Banks and Springwell.

We got a puppy in December and are just waiting for him to have his second injection so that he can start going out and I reckon that’ll be the kickstart I need to force me into it. Too easy on these dark cold mornings and nights to sack it off and say you’ll do it tomorrow, but never actually do.
Getting motivated is the biggest hurdle. Maybe if you track your progress and start clock up the amount you walk that will bring more motivation

Getting motivated is the biggest hurdle. Maybe if you track your progress and start clock up the amount you walk that will bring more motivation

Aye maybe mate. I did download Strava ages ago when I attempted to go out for a few runs a week but that didn’t last long so I deleted it. Me dad goes out for lengthy walks every couple of days and he’s got it and keeps telling me to again. I’m in decent shape and that, but I think it’s more mentally at the minute that I find it beneficial. I think once the dog is sorted and can come out with me I’ll download something and start tracking it, be interesting just knowing how far he’s walked as much as anything. Only downside to those walks I mentioned I enjoy round here in my other post is that a lot of it is on quiet country footpaths or roads so they’re either poorly lit or not lit at all. The coast (Roker and Seaburn) and the riverside between Southwick and the marina are probably my favourite ‘go to’ walks.

Aye maybe mate. I did download Strava ages ago when I attempted to go out for a few runs a week but that didn’t last long so I deleted it. Me dad goes out for lengthy walks every couple of days and he’s got it and keeps telling me to again. I’m in decent shape and that, but I think it’s more mentally at the minute that I find it beneficial. I think once the dog is sorted and can come out with me I’ll download something and start tracking it, be interesting just knowing how far he’s walked as much as anything. Only downside to those walks I mentioned I enjoy round here in my other post is that a lot of it is on quiet country footpaths or roads so they’re either poorly lit or not lit at all. The coast (Roker and Seaburn) and the riverside between Southwick and the marina are probably my favourite ‘go to’ walks.
I use strava and it's a great way to track your progress. Theres also virtual challenges you can do like walking 50k a month or 12 hours activity in a month for example

I can’t do it if it’s freezing and more so in the rain, I wouldn’t dream of going out for a walk in the rain. I’d rather put my feet up in a nice warm house

I’ve got 3 dogs that need a walk twice a day or the house would be rubble by now...
I like it, where I live is quite rural and away from folk so it’s usually me and the dogs and The odd startled rabbit...

Im the exact same mate, can't stand running and been awful at it for years (despite being in fairly decent(ish) shape and good health). Puffing, panting and desperately fighting off the urge not to stop running for long periods does not interest me at all. Each to their own and that but I have a few mates who love running more than anything and personally don't understand where the enjoyment comes from - unless you're a paid athlete. Would rather do more walking even though it's not half as good cardio exercise - far easier to motivate ones self to go for a brisk hour walk once a day than a 20 minute run especially at minute. Just stick on a good podcast and you're chalking up the tens of miles at ease each week.

Im the exact same mate, can't stand running and been awful at it for years (despite being in fairly decent(ish) shape and good health). Puffing, panting and desperately fighting off the urge not to stop running for long periods does not interest me at all. Each to their own and that but I have a few mates who love running more than anything and personally don't understand where the enjoyment comes from - unless you're a paid athlete. Would rather do more walking even though it's not half as good cardio exercise - far easier to motivate ones self to go for a brisk hour walk once a day than a 20 minute run especially at minute. Just stick on a good podcast and you're chalking up the tens of miles at ease each week.
If you’re puffing and panting you’re running too fast. Slow down to a pace you’re comfortable with.

Yes, I often end up round that way. Been along the Bowes path from Jarrow to Tanfield (and multiple offshoots) loads of times. And any excuse to stop for refreshments at the Engine Rooms overlooking the valley. :)

Aye it’s a beautiful view from up by the Engine Room. Can’t wait to have a walk up there with the dog in the warmer weather when it reopens and sit outside with a pint. From Birtley I usually join that Jarrow-Tanfield old coal line at that underpass that goes under the A1. Lived in Birtley most of my life and didn’t know that existed until the summer! I was canny fascinated by it at first and where it leads to in either direction so I looked it up and followed the trail on Google Maps, couldn’t believe it went all the way to Jarra and ultimately (I think) the Tyne. Would love to walk further in either direction as you say as I’ve never been much further than Eighton Banks on it.

Aye it’s not for me like. Even hated cross country and other running sports at school, yet put me on a football pitch and it’s totally different.

Last edited:

Back