Going back to an old employer

Left my job years ago and applied to go back a year later, my interview finished by @Wayne The Punk hoying his leg on the table and showing me his bloodied leg from Super Kev's equaliser against the Mags in the 2-2 šŸ˜‚

Blast from the past there marra
Left my job years ago and applied to go back a year later, my interview finished by @Wayne The Punk hoying his leg on the table and showing me his bloodied leg from Super Kev's equaliser against the Mags in the 2-2 šŸ˜‚

I am coming up for the next hall of fame night when I will meet SKP. I will be at the game the following day, and meeting my new grandson again, should be canny busy

Last edited:
If I can give any young lad out there some solid advice itā€™s;

never burn your bridges by giving it the big one by saying ā€œIā€™ll never come back here etcā€

Never give it theā€ I wouldnā€™t get out of bed for Ā£xxx a dayā€œ crack.
Blokes Iā€™ve heard over the years go on like the above have always been in and out of work regardless of their ability.Attitude is everything imo.
always leave on good terms regardless of how you feel.
Well said!

I'm currently back contracting at a place I left 8 years ago.

All the reasons I left are still in place.

5 more weeks to go and they've deemed me to be inside IR35 so I'm using that as the reason to Foxtrot Oscar.

Doesn't help that the bloke I currently report to is a complete incompetent. He doesn't understand I'm a subby and tries all the old school BS like it will be good development if you do this etc etc. I don't need developing. When I left this place I was 2 grades higher than you.

It really freaks him out that I'm on really good terms with a load of the directors here who often stop at my desk for a chat. I won't burn any bridges when I leave on 4th April but I will make sure everyone knows just how "good" he is.

Done it twice, worked fine for me. As Gilly says, don't burn your bridges.

One of the places I went back to then took me on as a contractor after I started working for myself.

90% of business is about relationships with the peope you work with and for. (It also helps if you're half decent at your job and don't, noticeably, take the piss)

A very powerful and true statement. Cap doffed to wise words marra, especially the noticeably bit šŸ‘

Iā€™ve left all of my jobs in good terms (with the exception of one where I was made the scapegoat for someone elseā€™s shortcomings but I think they discovered that after I left since she was moved office and then ā€œretiredā€ within a year of me leaving) but it doesnā€™t mean Iā€™d go back to many of them. Thereā€™s only one Iā€™d go back to, and itā€™s the one in the same industry as my current place. Of the others, one expected you to live for work not work to love, another dissolved the team I was in last year which means thereā€™s only 2 posts that do what I do; and one I was over-relied on, was full of moany arseholes and needs a major overhaul before I would go back.

Done more rapping than mc hammer as a Young un, left loads of jobs on bad terms, too many arsehole managers in this game, one or two places I can categorically say Iā€™d rather rake in the bins than go back, but it is always better to leave on good terms, last few places Iā€™ve left Iā€™ve asked if theyā€™d have me back, feels canny good when they say why aye.

With 1 exception I don't leave employers, I leave bad bosses. If the bad boss moves on I'd be happy to go back.
thats why most people leave and it links with discretionary effort
Done more rapping than mc hammer as a Young un, left loads of jobs on bad terms, too many arsehole managers in this game, one or two places I can categorically say Iā€™d rather rake in the bins than go back, but it is always better to leave on good terms, last few places Iā€™ve left Iā€™ve asked if theyā€™d have me back, feels canny good when they say why aye.

if you have left laods of jobs on bad terms it will be you that's the issue

Last edited:
thats why most people leave and it links with discretionary effort

if you have left laods of jobs on bad terms it will be you that's the issue
Agreed. didnā€™t like being taken for a **** as a young fella, and thereā€™s plenty who would try to take you for a ****. Not many regrets though, hamma.

My old man told me , never to leave a job on bad terms and work until the end, as you never know if you want to to back, followed his advice even when I retired I could I left early but that would have dropped one of my mates in it, so I worked up to the wire, theyhave since asked me if I would go back to work as a contractor.

Back