Going 5 at the back

I don’t see where it’s written that you have to bring another CB on to see the game out though.

We’ve scraped over the line in games we’ve dominated

We'll never know what would have happened if we'd stayed four at the back in every game we've done it. We can only go on what actually happens.

We'll never know what would have happened if we'd stayed four at the back in every game we've done it. We can only go on what actually happens.
Aye you’re right. I’ve never agreed with it when teams do it in general tbf. I understood against Wigan because of fitness but I’d much rather we tried to keep the ball to see the game out rather than whatever we’ve been doing. Seems needless to me when we’re a much better footballing side and we’re not blessed with height.

I see the reasoning behind it but I’ve never liked it. Think it always invites pressure and I’d rather play an extra midfielder or an attacking player as BSA often did chucking Watmore on.
I don’t mind five at the back as a strategy /formation if you’re set up to play it and have the right players but don’t like switching to it mid game.

Invites pressure, I’d rather we brought on a pacy winger (the German) and got them on the break.

It’s Fleetwood not Man Utd.

And the fact he's done it week on week and seen how shaky it makes us. Almost as if he's not learning from what he's seeing.

To see the game out has worked every game up until today. Wycombe scored a fluke deflection but other than that the opposition have barely threatened. Yet nobody ever seems to give praise.

A silly injury time penalty and the usual suspects will be up in arms.

We're playing well and a point is okay.

Chill out.
Didn't see any of the game today so can't comment but last week it definitely didn't work. We invited more pressure after going more defensive. Whether we conceded or not is irrelevant.

Aye you’re right. I’ve never agreed with it when teams do it in general tbf. I understood against Wigan because of fitness but I’d much rather we tried to keep the ball to see the game out rather than whatever we’ve been doing. Seems needless to me when we’re a much better footballing side and we’re not blessed with height.

Agreed and I'm not exactly a fan either, but you can only look at what's happened on the pitch. Wigan never had a sniff, Wycombe scored a consolation fluke own goal, Accrington were on top before we changed it anyway but still couldn't score, I can't really remember MK Dons or Wimbledon if I'm honest but obviously neither scored.
Didn't see any of the game today so can't comment but last week it definitely didn't work. We invited more pressure after going more defensive. Whether we conceded or not is irrelevant.

Accrington were on top before we changed it. And I'd say whether or not conceded was pretty relevant, like.

Last edited:
Agreed and I'm not exactly a fan either, but you can only look at what's happened on the pitch. Wigan never had a sniff, Wycombe scored a consolation fluke own goal, Accrington were on top before we changed it anyway but still couldn't score, I can't really remember MK Dons or Wimbledon if I'm honest but obviously neither scored.
I thought the chance for countering Accrington was there so was surprised we went more defensive but it is what it is. We will see what happens moving forward, it’s not the end of the world drawing the game today.

To see the game out has worked every game up until today. Wycombe scored a fluke deflection but other than that the opposition have barely threatened. Yet nobody ever seems to give praise.

A silly injury time penalty and the usual suspects will be up in arms.

We're playing well and a point is okay.

Chill out.
Similarly the usual suspects will be happy clapping themselves to sleep tonight.

Good job nobody said it when we were two up then!

Do you honestly think it's acceptable for us to draw a game against a lower mid-table team like Fleetwood, when we are 2-0 up with 10 minutes to go?

Teams with serious automatic promotion ambitions don't get to have too many of those failures throughout the course of a season and we've already thrown a combined 5 points down the drain from this and Burton, after 7 games.

Do you honestly think it's acceptable for us to draw a game against a lower mid-table team like Fleetwood, when we are 2-0 up with 10 minutes to go?

Teams with serious automatic promotion ambitions don't get to have too many of those failures throughout the course of a season and we've already thrown a combined 5 points down the drain from this and Burton, after 7 games.

A point away from home is an okay result. You can try to put words in my mouth as much as you like, but it'll never add strength to your argument.

Carry on repeating the sequence and we'd more than likely be promoted.

Accrington were on top before we changed it. And I'd say whether or not conceded was pretty relevant, like.
You can have luck go for or against you when it comes to conceding. What's relevant is how your tactics affect the flow of the match.

A point away from home is an okay result. You can try to put words in my mouth as much as you like, but it'll never add strength to your argument.

I guess we'll see come the end of the season whether failure to beat teams like Fleetwood (especially after being 2-0 up with 10 minutes to go) will be good results or not.

Back