Gods of Snooker BBC iPlayer

Just watching it now.

Brilliant stuff...

Loved it being a snooker fan.
There really was lots of different characters around the game in the 80s/90s.
Massive Jimmy fan, six lost finals, only had to win one them.
Hendry was his nemesis.

Last edited:
Loved it being a snooker fan.
There really was lots of different characters around the game in the 80s/90s.
Massive Jimmy fan, six lost finals, only had to win one them.
Hendry was his nemesis.
Fondly remembering bumping into him in a Darlo nightclub and getting a 20 pound note signedšŸ˜Šit takes pride of place on the mantlelpiece.... and if you believe that you'll believe anything, I think it went over the next hour on pints and a carpet burger.

All those mixed/flawed personalities are what make snooker and darts fun.

I like that mad bastard tearaway side to any gifted sportsman.
Doesn't necessarily mean they're the best at their sport but it gives a bit personality and is far interesting.
They reach the top without the robotic dedication of others. Makes a great story. Obviously there's the likes of Hendry or Davis who totally gave themselves to the sport and worked relentlessly to be the best. That dedication and focus is admirable. But it's much more fun seeing somebody only half as dedicated but just as good, if only fleetingly.

I like that mad bastard tearaway side to any gifted sportsman.
Doesn't necessarily mean they're the best at their sport but it gives a bit personality and is far interesting.
They reach the top without the robotic dedication of others. Makes a great story. Obviously there's the likes of Hendry or Davis who totally gave themselves to the sport and worked relentlessly to be the best. That dedication and focus is admirable. But it's much more fun seeing somebody only half as dedicated but just as good, if only fleetingly.
O'Sullivan just being able to turn it on when needs be is tremendous. Imagine how good he could have been if he was fully focused all the time.

Exactly. Amazing really. Suppose that is what makes them more likeable rather than just somebody to be grudgingly respected.
Tyson Fury is in the same bracket really. The bloke is a bellend but because he went to the top, then went to the bottom and then got back to the top your average bloke can relate to him in some way..
But we need these imperfections and characters, much better than bland crap.
My point exactly oldie marra.

Them we had the robotic Davis/Hendry at the other end of the scale.
Saw Jimmy White and his entourage out on the town more than once in Thailand, which wasn't much of a surprise. A little more bizarre was seeing Hendry one Friday night in Patpong, off his tits, with a, 'demimondaine' on each arm.

The next day he went out of a tournament in the first round to an unranked Thai lad, presumably spent the next fortnight filling his boots at the organiser's expense and then played a one-off exhibition match against Wattana for shitloads of money!

It's the quiet ones......

Back