Go North East

I see, makes sense.

Do they look after the busses/buy new ones up there? Look in a terrible state in Manchester.
They’re cyclical in their renewal of the fleet. Basically, it appears, that a particular style of bus gets phased out, and renewed at a different depot every year. Last year Deptford got a renewed fleet of vehicles for the local services.

They’re cyclical in their renewal of the fleet. Basically, it appears, that a particular style of bus gets phased out, and renewed at a different depot every year. Last year Deptford got a renewed fleet of vehicles for the local services.

I assume they buy in new based on the best offer manufacturers can give? So cost rather than driving, passenger comfort etc?

Isn't there a new Chinese maker in the market now?

I’m into my fifth year. The job is what you make of it, you want trouble, you’ll get trouble, if you’re pleasant, people are pleasant back.

I love it personally. I’m a creative writer by trade but decided to do this as a stopgap. Not the best pay ever, and not the most family friendly shifts, but if you can see through that, then you will enjoy it. Oh, and don’t listen to the people in the canteen whinging about the job, they wouldn’t be here if the job wasn’t good enough.

Good luck.
I'm coming up to my fourth year

Use the service regularly and most of the drivers are spot on however had a few interactions with some down the years. Latest one was the other week.

I work at Doxy, finished at 7pm, X5 into town is supposed to leave here at 07:05 which is enough time for me to walk round to the stop.

Left work a few minutes early so to make sure I could catch the thing (if I didn't it's another half hour wait) as I'm walking round the bus is at the stop letting people on at 18:59, I had to run and good job I did because after the last one in the queue got on he tried to pull away and I had to quickly tap the door for him to open it again.

Dishevelled after running in work shoes, I scanned my pass and apologised (don't know why). Dead sarcy what I got back from the driver was 'words you're looking for is thank you'. I then preceeded to ask him if the pulling out 6 minutes early was down to his need for a fag at Park Lane.

In summary some bus drivers are knobs and I need to learn to drive.

Been for my eye test this morning for my D4, but does anyone know if you have to goto the doctors for the rest of it or do you see the doctor at the occupational health at GNE when you do your assessment?

Well had my assessment today, went well, have to go back on Friday though for a medical as apparently the having problem with company doctor so back at 9am on Friday. 1 lad in the assessment turned up 20 minutes late then got a non negative back on his urine sample.

Phone call today, offering me a start date. Monday 15th April. Any tips for the training anyone?
@ShaabanShaaban
Drive it like you’ve nicked it.

Don't crash.
You laugh but my brother passed his car test in his own car. When the examiner got out and the instructor got in he hit another car pulling out. They passed him.

He then did his CBT and stacked the bike on some grass when practicing manoeuvres. They passed him.

Finally he took his test with GNE and one his first attempt hit low hanging branches, failed. Passed second time but injured an old lady on his first supervised journey as she wouldn’t sit down and he broke sharply when a car pulled out.

He’s a ground worker now. This he’s great at but still managed to knock half of Bishop Auckland out when one of his lads went through a power cable. A £200k bill, and this was the day after they’d all been in the training to use the cable tracing equipment. He works for a different company now. :lol:

Last edited:
Drive it like you’ve nicked it.

You laugh but my brother passed his car test in his own car. When the examiner got out and the instructor got in he hit another car pulling out. They passed him.

He then did his CBT and stacked the bike on some grass when practicing manoeuvres. They passed him.

Finally he took his test with GNE and one his first attempt hit low hanging branches, failed. Passed second time but injured an old lady on his first supervised journey as she wouldn’t sit down and he broke sharply when a car pulled out.

He’s a ground worker now. This he’s great at but still managed to knock half of Bishop Auckland out when one of his lads went through a power cable. A £200k bill, and this was the day after they’d all been in the training to use the cable tracing equipment. He works for a different company now. :lol:
One of my best friends is an Italian from Napoli (the centre of all organised dodginess and crime in the universe) and spent his youth mired in low-level criminal activity. When he moved to England he needed to go straight and decided driving delivery lorries looked like a decent living. However, he needed an HGV license, which would require both money and effort on his behalf, so he took a quick trip home and ‘obtained’ the Italian equivalent and returned to Blighty with his fresh, shiny new ‘license’. In the first week of driving for a food delivery company (Brake bros, iirc) he’d pranged the lorry 3 times, and the final straw was when he managed to take half the roof off a primary school’s delivery bay/kitchen area as he misjudged the height of both his lorry and the delivery bay. It turns out that it actually is beneficial to do the training required to obtain an HGV license and not just use a criminal shortcut! He got ‘let-go’ after the first week and now lives back in Napoli, back to his old tricks.

Back