Go North East

Nah I don’t have licence I’ll be going through GNE school. Thanks mate appreciate it.
That’s where I struggled, to be honest. I felt the pressure was incredible - I’d left a job to start this one, thinking it’d be less stressful and an easier ride than my previous job (which it is now, but not through the school). Get through the school and you have a job for life, really. You know if you enjoy the job about a month into service.

That’s where I struggled, to be honest. I felt the pressure was incredible - I’d left a job to start this one, thinking it’d be less stressful and an easier ride than my previous job (which it is now, but not through the school). Get through the school and you have a job for life, really. You know if you enjoy the job about a month into service.
Kind of in the same boat I’m leaving a job to goto GNE. Hopefully all goes well, something I’ve kind of always wanted to do go on the buses like so looking forward to it, if I get through it all.

Do you know which depot you'll be heading to provided everything goes well?

First thing you need to do is buy a watch. Because half the other drivers don’t seem to and turn up when they want. Don’t mind them being late. It’s when they are early !

When we were 10 some kid at school told everybody his dad was on £200 a week as a bus driver. We all wanted to be bus drivers after that. Megabucks.

Looking back, there's a chance he was talking shit.

When we were 10 some kid at school told everybody his dad was on £200 a week as a bus driver. We all wanted to be bus drivers after that. Megabucks.

I am sure back in the day they paid a lot better. But the bus driver I knew complained about a lot of polish coming in and working for pennies etc. And new contracts being terrible.

They were paid a lot better back in the day, probably seen as more skilled, also the introduction of the minimum wage and the speed it’s gone up compared to wages above the NMW they’ve probably caught up to a point, depending who you work for.

They were paid a lot better back in the day, probably seen as more skilled, also the introduction of the minimum wage and the speed it’s gone up compared to wages above the NMW they’ve probably caught up to a point, depending who you work for.
I am sure back in the day they paid a lot better. But the bus driver I knew complained about a lot of polish coming in and working for pennies etc. And new contracts being terrible.
This was 1993, surely they were on more than that back then :lol:

Whats the difference between them? Bigger routes or something?

:lol:
Gateshead (Riverside) is a huge depot, basically GNE’s headquarters, all the NE bigwigs are housed there, along with Occ. Health etc.

Sunderland (Deptford) is a smaller depot, with similar staffing numbers, however, and they have some of the biggest routes for income in the entire company - 56’s and the 20’s are quite lucrative with Nissan and the other warehouses for workers.

In the end though, they’re well oiled machines, these depots, run by somewhat decent people, unless you believe everything you hear in the canteen.

Gateshead (Riverside) is a huge depot, basically GNE’s headquarters, all the NE bigwigs are housed there, along with Occ. Health etc.

Sunderland (Deptford) is a smaller depot, with similar staffing numbers, however, and they have some of the biggest routes for income in the entire company - 56’s and the 20’s are quite lucrative with Nissan and the other warehouses for workers.

In the end though, they’re well oiled machines, these depots, run by somewhat decent people, unless you believe everything you hear in the canteen.

I see, makes sense.

Do they look after the busses/buy new ones up there? Look in a terrible state in Manchester.

Back